Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Banking help pls

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:29 AM
  • 15 Replies

Hello, I use bank of america and need help. I made a deposit on 9-3 for $320. It was a $100 check and $120 CASH, I deposited in the drive thru and thought that cash posts right away if you deposit it directly to the bank. That's what they told me when I opened the account. Well the money did not post until 9-4 and I spent over $20 on 9-3 so the bank charged me $70 in overdraft fees. Can I fight this? I wouldn't have spent the money on 9-3 had I known that the cash wouldn't have credited. Thanks.

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wifemomteacher
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Did you post the check and cash separately?  If you posted the cash by itself..then it should have posted right away. Mine always does whenever I post cash.  But if you posted them together it could be that the check held up the whole thing.  You could try calling them or going in to your branch and talking to them.  They can be nice sometimes...depends on who you get that day. Good luck!

jjessers
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:33 AM

100 check + 120 cash = 220

I would definitely go in to the bank and speak with a branch manager :) They CAN remove those charges if they deem ok. I have had it done more than once :)

LA8YBUG
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:38 AM

It could depend on what time the deposit was posted.  At my bank isf you deposit in the evening (like in the grocery store branches) the deposit won't post until the next day.  They will usually reverse a charge if its your first time. Just explain you didn't understand their procedures. Good Luck!

BabyinAug08
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:56 AM

oh yeah sorry, typed it worng lol. But still I only spent $20. I spent $10 at the gas station and about $10 at walmart. I knew that the check wouldn't post but I thought the cash would. If I known that then I would have made two deposits spereately.

Quoting jjessers:

100 check + 120 cash = 220

I would definitely go in to the bank and speak with a branch manager :) They CAN remove those charges if they deem ok. I have had it done more than once :)

bubbasmom0917
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:00 PM

well for one i would just get away from bank of america, because they screw people all the time. as the money and check depends on when their cut off time is. you can call them and ask about the fees, but i really wouldn't.

Christine0813
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:07 PM

If you make that deposit in person to a teller it will post ASAP. It will not post right away through an ATM. It depends on when the drops are picked up and if the branch does them or they are done by Brink's, Dunbar etc. I would ask, it doesn't hurt. You may be out of luck on this one.

Married mother with three children, Daniel, Seth, Olivia and SM to Nicole. Owner of Northeast Ohio Mothers    Owner of 2nd Grade 2009 Owner of March of Dimes/March for Babies

butterflyblu
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Did you deposit it after 2 pm?  I know some banks and I can't remember with BOA what their policy is, only allow cash to post the same day if it was deposited before 2 pm.  And word to the wise, Bank of America sucks!  My husband had a checking account there and they constantly screwed him over with overdraft fees.  I'd make a deposit in the morning (cash), then he would use his card and they would say he had a negative balance and charge him an overdraft fee even though it was in the positive and we had proof!  He talked to several different people and could never get a straight answer on their policies.  So finally after dealing with a bunch of overdraft fees, he closed the account and we are done with them.  Thankfully, I bank elsewhere and have have no issues with that ever.  They always let me know exactly what is available and when.  I know with my bank, cash posts instantly and checks post instantly up to $100.  Any check over $100, the remainder is held for at least 1 business day, possibly more if it's an out of state check. 

jjessers
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Yeah...that makes a difference as well...

@ my bank anything before 3pm goes to that days business....anything after 3 pm goes to next days business

Quoting butterflyblu:

Did you deposit it after 2 pm?  I know some banks and I can't remember with BOA what their policy is, only allow cash to post the same day if it was deposited before 2 pm.  And word to the wise, Bank of America sucks!  My husband had a checking account there and they constantly screwed him over with overdraft fees.  I'd make a deposit in the morning (cash), then he would use his card and they would say he had a negative balance and charge him an overdraft fee even though it was in the positive and we had proof!  He talked to several different people and could never get a straight answer on their policies.  So finally after dealing with a bunch of overdraft fees, he closed the account and we are done with them.  Thankfully, I bank elsewhere and have have no issues with that ever.  They always let me know exactly what is available and when.  I know with my bank, cash posts instantly and checks post instantly up to $100.  Any check over $100, the remainder is held for at least 1 business day, possibly more if it's an out of state check. 

jjessers
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:20 PM

What is the new bank you use....

I am looking for a new bank...but one that is in my area...and in NY. We go to NY every 2 months.

Quoting butterflyblu:

AJmum
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:22 PM

I would go in and talk to the branch manager. I have citizens and they are great. They have reversed mine for me on 2 occasions. The cash should have posted.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)