Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grocery Shopping with a toddler and a newborn?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:42 AM
  • 39 Replies

I am a mother to a soon to be two year old and pregnant with my daughter. And as of right now grocery shopping with one child is a breeze. My hubby will occasionaly come with me but I pretty much do the shopping on my own with my son. So since I am expecting and my children will be two years apart I know that it will change how I grocery shop. But my question is: How do you manage to shop with a toddler and a newborn in tow? Do you use just a shopping cart for your kids and one for groceries? Does you SO go with you all the time to push one and you the other? Do you puch a stroller and the cart? How do you do it? I ask cause I know there are going to be times where my hubby isn't going to want to go and I'll have to take both children. So how do you mange by yourself?

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QueenCrnchyMama
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:43 AM

I always take both the babies. my 3 year old sits in the big part of the cart and I put the car seat in the front. Its a breeze! I love shopping with the kids. But my son also doesnt scream "I want that!" I never permitted that behavior.

azmomof03
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:45 AM

shopping with one toddler is easy with two toddlers and a baby is a challengeI do most of my shopping by myself to I have a 5 ,4 , and 17 month old so I no how you fill most of the time i held the baby and put the toddler in the cart now with three kids is much more aggravating

ArmyWifey4907

We're still TTC our 2nd, but we've already decided how the grocery shopping will get done.  We've decided that I will do the grocery shopping with the baby one weekend while our DS stays home with Daddy, then the next weekend the baby will stay home with Daddy and DS will come with me.  DH doesn't do the grocery shopping, he comes home with everything but what was on the list lol. 

Josslynsmommy

you could always "wear" the newborn and have your toddler sit in the cart. Or have your husband stay home with both the kids..or one of them while you take the other one with you.

My name is Lindsey. I am a young single mother, teacher, advocate, best friend, support system, and everything else under the sun to my strong little girl, Josslyn Kate, diagnosed with a very rare auto immune disease, Autoimmune Lymphoproliferative Syndrome. She is my life and what I live for every second of every day.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/josslynfrost

tairakittie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:47 AM

We always take both kids. My DD sits in the stroller or walks with us and we put DS in his carseat in his stroller. One takes the cart and DD and one takes DS! LOL its worked for us so far... I never go alone, that would just be rediculas! 

Hrivera5
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:49 AM

When my daughter was first born, I put her in a sling or moby and carried her on me and my son went in the cart.  Now, my son walks and she sits in the cart.  I usually wait until my husband can go with though, cuz it is a pain in the butt LOL.  I think having 3 would be totally impossible, I don't know how those mother's do it LOL!  But 2 is pretty easy once you figure it out.

Sam's club and costco are awesome cuz they have the carts that seat two kids!

jenny198356
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Find a really good wrap. I made my own and put the newborn in it when we were out. It also kept people from touching the newborn...which is a pet peeve of mine. Makes it so much easier and there are a bunch of different types of wraps you just have to find one that works for you. mine was a 5yd peice of material that you wrap around yourself...no sew...real easy.

SBlack
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:51 AM

I have a 4, 2 and 1 year old and until she got to big I would put the 1 year old in one of those baby bjorn carrier things.  You should get one of those.  They are the only way I ever got anything done.  The baby can be close to you and you can still have two hands free to do what you need. 

Also just being prepared before you go to the store helps to.  I would try to make sure my list was planned out according to where everything is in the store so we could go as quickly as is possible with three kids.  And making sure the kids are happy and well fed and well rested before makes it much easier too.   

lilypad728
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:53 AM

When my kids were at their youngest they were 3, 20mo and newborn. I shopped with all of them. M<y two older ones walked and my infant stayed in the carriage.

If I wasn't buying too much then the 2 youngest would go in the carriage.

Don't worry about it, it's not that difficult.

momx22
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:55 AM

my boys are 13mths apart so yea been there, what i did is push the kids in one basket and pull groceries in another. i always have a super full basket of groceries so my boys wouldnt fit in the basket with the groceries so i just used two. it was tiring but i survived now their 2yrs and 3yrs so my 2yr old sits in front and my 3yr old sits in the actual cart and when the cart gets too full he gets out and walks. it works for now but we're ttc so its gonna change soon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)