Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how many of you are on a really strict budget and does it bother you?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:52 AM
  • 24 Replies

how many of you are on a really tight budget and how do you divide the expenses each month? do you have lots of money leftover for fun or is it strictly bills,bills,bills? i guess i just want to meet some other moms who are in the same boat as me. does it drive you crazy staying home all the time cause money is tight?

baby
pregnancy due date
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
azmomof03
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:55 AM

yep it drives me nuts we are on a budget trying to buy a new vehicle and save the money for it way to aggravating

mommy2izzy
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Both.  We stick to a strict budget so that we have plenty of "fun money" each month.  We definitely can't just spend whatever we want, whenever we want...but as long as we stick to our budget..we have plenty left over for entertainment and shopping purposes!

LauraKW
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:57 AM

We try to build small treats into the budget.  Last night we had ice cream sundaes at home - probably cost $5, but it would have cost $20 if we had gone to Sheridan's (YUM!).  And we have everything left over to have sundaes several more times as well.

LA8YBUG
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Its hard at first, but you get used to it.  Now we choose to stay home.  We play a lot of board games and my kids just love it.  We have family competitions and such.  We make it fun.  We make homemade pizzas and such!  My kids do not go without.  But when we do go somewhere it is really a treat!  They appreciate it so much more.  There is a lot you can do that doesn't much.  Plus they do a lot of youth group things that do not cost, and they are not spoiled.  Good Luck!  Your hard work will pay off if you stick to it.  I promise it's worth it!

momx22
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:00 PM

yes ,sadly i do know what you mean. we recently went from a weekly pay check to biweekkly and its a huge difference. it doesnt seem like it would be but turns out , it is. we just need to adjust we'll be good again.

sherry132
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:03 PM

My budget is so strict right now I can't afford to even think about having fun. There is NOTHING left over. No eating out, shopping, buying a new toy, or even going for a drive. And yes I am going crazy.  

ArmyWifey4907
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Right now, our money goes for bills and groceries.  We're trying to save up some money so we can drive the 1200 miles home for Christmas.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:13 PM

We go out alot each month, and get  treats. Our budget isn't as tight as it should be.  We try to keep an emergency fund so if something comes up we can afford it, without throwing our finances off completely. These last months have been quite annoying though, because we have all our birthdays, anniversary, and friends b days, so close together, I have actually been wanting to take my kids to a new art place but they will have to wait til October where we don't have so much going on. I also have had to buy lots of beans, and rice last month and we had almost  nothing extras because we bought a new computer, atttended  birthday 3 birthday parties, both registrations, anniversaries, and my birthday all in the same month. I am pretty god at budgeting when a month will be tight though. Overall we do alright, we have enough for bills and quite a bit of fun money. I do get very annoyed when money it really tight, but I am pretty good at clipping coupons, eat ting lots of beans and rice, have less food choices, of one month so that we can go out more. We have our hard months August, July, and September, and December are the worst for us financially.

LeslieSS
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:15 PM

There is a strict budjet here. I don't really mind. As long I can keep the internet, get a book or cd every now and then, I'm fine. I have never been much for going out anyway.

Join Us in Masquerade At Vampires Haven

jjessers
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Dh , DS and I live on a *Fixed Income* ...

We HAVE to budget, and pay all the bills First. We do our best to Pay all bills first...that includes our grocery bill..hehe.

One of the reasons we moved out of NY to DE was the cost of living difference. We do better here in DE .....NY was very expensive for us...it was hard to leave...NY was the only place I had ever lived until June last yr.

We have been trying to do *cheaper things* ...together as a family...like ...go to the beach...or the Zoological park...or the regular park...

We are going to spend a little, real soon ....so that we can go to the Aquarium in Baltimore. Every once in a while we do something that requires a little more money.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)