Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

calling all small animal rescue mammas...

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:15 PM
  • 10 Replies

I have had this hog a few weeks now- was found curbside in broad daylight. He was lethargic and had a grunty/wheezy sound when he breathed. I tried to take him to the vet but they said it is too much trouble to treat adult wild hedgehogs and it would be better to just let him die naturally in the wild as he would not accept treatment and the stress may kill him anyway. I disagree. I have been administering baytril for the resp condition and bathing the hogs injured foot with a saline soak. He eats well, had good BM's and no longer has the raspy sound but he still stinks like rotting meat. That foot (as shown in picture) is messed up - he lets me peel the scab off after soaking him and a bunch of REALLY smelly green goo comes out but it does not seem to be improving much. I am ricking my brain for anyhting that might help but I seem to be at a loss.  Does anyone have any suggestions about how to treat the smelly foot?

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:19 PM

wow GL. 

Angelbluewingsz
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Thanks- He is sitting on my lap as I browse through CM so I just thought "Hey! Maybe someone has an idea" We named him "Squash"  - mostly because "Road Kill" sounded mean.

Quoting godsgirl26:

wow GL. 

Pna1Dra6on
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:51 PM

sounds like its infected...saline wash & Im not sure if its safe on him but peroxide?  Thats great that he's gentle & go you for going out of your way to help the lil guy.  Good luck with everything. He's a cutie.

"It's not about counting the days, rather making the days count"

click for my eyeshadow looks

Angelbluewingsz
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:10 PM

A new version of Hogwash...

Angelbluewingsz
by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Bump..

Wifey2Watson
by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Maybe you could try another vet, I wonder if the foot needs to be amputated? 

momto2ladies
by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 2:43 PM

I owuld try very dilute betadine ( almost tea color ) or chlorhexidine rinse ( dilute to pale blue) both of these have a antiacterial clensor in them. If the foot is " dead" it should be removed I am surprised has has not yet chewed it off.

Good luck

in lovetoddler girlbaby girl

25beengoodtome
by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 2:49 PM

I've had good luck with a solution of 50/50 pure water & Hydrogen peroxide.  Dry, then smear on a generous dab of a triple anti-biotic cream, like NEOSPORIN(sold over the counter - first-aid section) Even if he licks it a bit, no biggy, he'll do OK, might even help his lil' belly.

~ Marie, a true CafeMom ADDICT!
Angelbluewingsz
by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 2:50 PM

The foot part he can still walk on but he is missing two toes, the swollen stump of the middle toe is a festering wound- it gets scabbed over with peices of stuffing and food but never clean healthy blood just sticky puss... gross huh- he is otherwise pleasant and agreeable but the smell makes me gag .... I don't know if he can feel it though because I figure it must hurt when I squeeze it and he doesn't seem to mind...

LuvmySFSGT
by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 2:53 PM

I would try another vet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)