Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ladies, Please give me some insight before I lose my effing mind!!!

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:12 PM
  • 18 Replies

Ok, I have 3 children. 2 boys, 8 and 7, and my daughter is 18 months. Neither of my boys did I have any problems like this with,and I am at the end of my rope.

My daughter is SUPER naughty. She knows what she can and cannot do, I tell her every single time, and she still does it. Getting into the dvds, pulling my books from the shelves, getting into drawers in the kitchen, you name it, she's in there. I will tell her to stop, then I have to say it more forecefully,. and before you know it, I am yelling at her and putting her on the couch while she screams her head off.

she has taken to hitting, pinching and biting. Her brothers, me, anyone really. I don't know where in the hey she got this from. It is driving me nuts.

She whines ALL DAY LONG. Hubby thinks I am making this up. But I am so serious. ALL. Day. LONG!!! From the time she wakes up to the time she goes down for a nap. Whining, screaming, crying hissy fits. I am starting to lose my hearing in one ear because she screams the entire time I am putting her down for bed.

That is another thing, I am trying to wean her off her bottle, but she will scream if she doesn't have it to go to sleep to. Also, my boys at this age would lay on the couch and put themselves down for a nap. Not her. No, she would rather scream her head off and destroy the house if I don't pick her up and put her down myself.

I can't get anything done. Hubby works out of town, so I have NO help with these kids. The boys are no problem it is the little one. HELP ME PLEASE!!!

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
randi1978
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:15 PM

I think a few open handed pops on her ass might correct that real quick. 

kagegirl
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Tried that. Made her scream louder. Does absollutely NOTHING.

Quoting randi1978:

I think a few open handed pops on her ass might correct that real quick. 

tairakittie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Its the age!!! My DD was acting out like that a month ago when I brought DS home from the hospital, it was part jealousy and part just her discovering her boundries. Its been almost 2 months and she is calming down a little bit with that, but has taken to running from us when we go outside. I live on a dead end street so im not worried about her at home... its when we go out in public and set her down in a parking lot... im afraid she will get hit because she doesnt know any better and she doesnt listen for crap until AFTER she gets hurt.

What im saying is... good luck lol. I hope it gets better soon. Just try and keep her occupied, constantly...  

Rosebeliever
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:17 PM

I would take her to the pediatrician and have him check her out. Tell him all of this and let him hear your frustration.

Maybe she has an ear infection or irritable bowels. I do not know, but it is a start. Hugs hun!

mrs.curtis07
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:19 PM

this must be a common phase during this age for some kiddos.  my dd, now 20 months, has been that way since about 16 months and is just starting to barley grow out of it.  but it seems like every week gets better.  my nephew did the same thing when he was this age.

bibdybobdyboob
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:21 PM

I'm not sure about the whining, but as far as getting in stuff, they know they shouldn't at that age BUT they lack the impulse control.

That part is pretty normal.

alih28
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:22 PM

YIKES!!! That sounds like a nightmare. My youngest had some similar problems, wanting to be held or entertained all the time. Have you tried giving her an activity related to what you're trying to do, so she feels included? As for the nap time difficulties, I have two words for you, ear plugs. It may sound harsh, but if you give her attention when she cries at naptime all that's going to do is reinforce the behavior.

cdgoldilocks
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Babyproof the crap out of everything. If she is getting dvds, find a way to keep her out of them. Cabinet locks, duct tape....something. If she is whiny, try and distract her. Take her to the park, for a walk in the stroller, give her a change of scenery. As for the hitting, she needs a time out the first time, every time. If she won't stay in time out, strap her into a car seat that you put in the corner of the room and make her stay for one minute. It isn't ideal, but she will learn that if she chooses to hit, that is her consequence.

All of these behaviors are very common at this age. The common methods of dealing with the behavior is to remove the child or object she gets into, ignore the behaviors, such at tantrums, or we give time outs. That is all you can do at this age. She is smart, and she will learn the house rules.

2egbhgx.jpg Eleanor Roosevelt image by whatadollx3

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. -Barry Goldwater

Amybelle
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:31 PM

I remember you saying that your DH left for work just recently. Have the behaviors gotten worse since then? If so I'd think it's her reaction to the stress of him being gone,

kagegirl
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:50 PM

No, it's pretty much straight across the board. It hasn't been any better or worse. I am at my wits end, really.

Quoting Amybelle:

I remember you saying that your DH left for work just recently. Have the behaviors gotten worse since then? If so I'd think it's her reaction to the stress of him being gone,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)