Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

(Maybe TMI) Anyone on Loestrin 24 birth control currently? If so how long have you been on and have you had any issues?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:30 PM
  • 4 Replies

I am asking because I started a pack yesterday for the Sunday start the only thing is that I am also on Amoxicillin right now, and I read to see if there would be any issues with that and the pill together but all I could find was to use a second birth control method. Anyways my period as of yesterday was on the 6th day almost to the end, I took a birth control pill yesterday at 6pm and today my period is extremely heavy and soaking the tampon, and I have seen two large blood clots pass. Now I am concerned do I continue to take the pill, or should i call the doctor? I will call the doctor anyways but wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue, my friend also told me that she just got off Loestrin because she was having break through bleeding. I don't know what to do.

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ShadowRaven
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Well, first of all, antibiotics will decrease the effectiveness of birth control. So I would definitely suggest using a back up method until you're done with it. Breakthrough bleeding during the first 3 months is a possible side effect of Loestrin 24, but if the bleeding continues and/or is very heavy, it says to call your doc. Taking hormones (such as bc) can increase your risk for blood clots.

I took Loestrin Fe for a little while, but had to stop because it made me unbelievably sick. I missed more work during the one month that I was on it, than I have in my entire life. Though I didn't realize that that's what was making me sick until I missed a dose one day, and felt like a new freaking woman.

Come join my group, The Speakeasy!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheSpeakeasy

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:54 PM

wave

Thank you for posting on the group!  We're glad you're here!

You may also want to post on  these CafeMom Groups:
Advice for Moms

Medical questions

We suggest joining and meeting other Moms in these Recommended Groups, too!

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

The search bar at the top of every page can be used to search for specific information.

We hope you're enjoying the site!

- The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

LukesMommy912
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:59 PM

When I was on bc it was this kind. I loved it! I could hardly tell I was having a period, seriously, I had to guess if it was spotting or a period and it only lasted between 1 and 3 days. I stopped taking it because my insurance stopped and I couldn't afford it but when I get back on it I will choose this kind.

I would definitely talk to your doctor to see if you could be having a bad reaction to it. You might need a different kind.

sweetheart5703
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Thanks everyone. I am going to give it a few days for my body to adjust if it still bad then I will see if I can change it. Thanks again. Happy Labor Day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)