Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Now she has a problem with my baby's name... *more info in red*

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:02 PM
  • 20 Replies

DH and I picked out names for our children before we got married (I was pregnant but miscarried) and we have been set on these names ever since.  We told our families what we were going to name our children before we got married (which was over three years ago).  Well DH's family has a tradition where all the women have Ivy in their name and my family has a tradition where all the women have Ann in their name and that we name our first daughter after both her grandmothers.  We wanted to keep the traditions from both families going with our daughter.  The name we have picked out for our daughter is Ivy-Ann.  We told everyone this over three years ago and no one seemed to have a problem.  Now SIL all of a sudden has a problem with it and calls us up and wakes us up to tell DH that we have to change the name.  WTH!!!  She's our daughter... we will choose the name.  DH and I have been set on this for over three years.  I'm not gonna try and think up another name for my daughter whose due in less than three months because her aunt has a problem that she could've confronted me with three years ago.

Sorry... needed to vent.

I just found out some more info.  Apparently something that also goes on in DH's family is that the first Ivy in the next generation gets an "Ivy inheritance" (jewelry and other such things).  I guess that there have been problems in the last couple generations with people naming their daughters Ivy so that they could get the inheritance.  I told SIL that if that's what this whole thing is about I could really care less about it.  My reason for choosing the name is not only because of my tradition but also because I think the name is beautiful and it has a part of both of my daughter's grandmothers (their names).  Getting all pissed off over jewelry is incredibly stupid.  I could care less.  I didn't even know about it til now.  I don't want my daughter growing up thinking materialistic things are important anyways.  It's just ridiculous.

We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough religion to make us love one another. ~~ Jonathan Swift

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
reecenkaden
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:04 PM

I love the name Ivy-Ann. My family has a similar tradition. The girls have the middle name Ann. My dad's gf broke it though. Screw your SIL she can name her own kids. Go with what makes YOU happy, it's your time now, don't let her steal your thunder.

dancingpengiune.gif the dancer image by jjjohnnaThis Penguin Dances for Freedom From Religion
I got that BOOM BOOM POW!!!

mcsmom1
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Ummmm...I would have sweetly said, "fuck you" and hung up the phone.

randi1978
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:06 PM

That's a beautiful name.  I wouldn't let family get to you on this.  They need to worry about their own lives.  My family wasn't keen on my daughter's name (Michelle Allison), but only because they thought it was "too old fashioned"...(ha ha ha, if only they knew the real origins of her first name!).

CAarmywife
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:06 PM

im dont like that name but its not my baby. our family has name traditions as well and i do not follow them because i dont like the names. that said, if thats what u want screw the rest of the pple. if they dont like it they dont have to name their baby that. whats the baby's middle name? i think ivy ann needs something to balance it out.

Zanny
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Tell her to mind her own business, you and your husband picked out that name a few years ago, and if she doesn't like that name then she shouldn't name her baby that..It's not her baby, it's yours...

mommeof5
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Its ur daughter and if ur happy with the name then the aunt can just deal with it. Ivy-Ann is very pretty. Go for it.

PinaiAngelPai15
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Quoting CAarmywife:

im dont like that name but its not my baby. our family has name traditions as well and i do not follow them because i dont like the names. that said, if thats what u want screw the rest of the pple. if they dont like it they dont have to name their baby that. whats the baby's middle name? i think ivy ann needs something to balance it out.

Her middle name will be Hoese-Marie (pronounced Hazy-Marie).  Hoese is my maiden name.  We didn't get to do the tradition with DS and name him after both his grandfathers since he's a junior and since we're planning on this being our last I want my dad in there too.  He passed away when I was fifteen.

We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough religion to make us love one another. ~~ Jonathan Swift

PinaiAngelPai15
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Apparently she's upset cuz she's also going to name her daughter Ivy (since that's what everyone in their family names their first daughter).  I just don't understand why she didn't have a problem with it when we told her three years ago.

reecenkaden
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Your baby will be Ivy-Ann, she can still have her Ivy. Tell her to get over herself. I have a brother and several cousins named Eric. My son has a cousin with the same name, but spelled different, born 2 months after him.

dancingpengiune.gif the dancer image by jjjohnnaThis Penguin Dances for Freedom From Religion
I got that BOOM BOOM POW!!!

butterflyblu
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Tell your SIL to shut up!  LOL  Geez, I don't understand why other people think it's ok to tell someone else what they can and cannot name their child.  She needs to learn to keep her opinion to herself.  It's your child.  Name her what you want.   Ivy-Ann is very pretty.   Especially if this is your DH's sister, he may need to be very firm with her on this one.  You obviously are not changing the name, so she needs to stop calling. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)