Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

President's speech

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:04 PM
  • 19 Replies

Am I the only person who wonders why there aren't seperate speeches? I mean maybe one speech for K-5th grade and another speech for the older middle and highschool students?

If the President speaks on a level that younger children can understand, the older children will lose interest quickly - but if he speaks on a level that will keep older children interested, then he will lose his younger audience.

Hmmm, just a ponder of mine.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mum. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our daughter that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TuMaiidiiTa.
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Have you read the speech? 

Mom2Boys9501
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:08 PM
Quoting TuMaiidiiTa.:

His speech is posted on the white house website.

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:09 PM

I won't show it to my first graders, for they won't understand NOR keep focused. That's okay though. They are at an age where they still enjoy coming to school and still WANT to learn from my experience.

I like this speech for older children. If I taught an older grade I'd incorporate it into the curriculum.  

Kairi is a big three year old!

TuMaiidiiTa.
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Quoting Mom2Boys9501:

Quoting TuMaiidiiTa.:

His speech is posted on the white house website.

Yes,I read it.

School doesn't start for us until a couple of days after the speech but we will watch at home. My kids are in 1st and 7th grade.

steelcrazy
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:12 PM

honestly - read the speech.  I did and have NO PROBLEMS with it.  I am not an Obama supporter and don't understand what all the controversey is about.  OMG the president wants my kids to stay in school and do their best - wait a minute isn't that what all parents want?

www.whitehouse.gov/MediaResources/PreparedSchoolRemarks/

Read it first, then comment on it. (I'm not being rude or don't misunderstand)

SteelCrazy

Mom 2 two boys, bugga-boo & cutie-boo, and twin boy angels in heaven.

baseball     slideangelangel

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:15 PM

I was going to say the exact same thing!  Thank you for saving my fingers the typing :)

Quoting steelcrazy:

honestly - read the speech.  I did and have NO PROBLEMS with it.  I am not an Obama supporter and don't understand what all the controversey is about.  OMG the president wants my kids to stay in school and do their best - wait a minute isn't that what all parents want?

www.whitehouse.gov/MediaResources/PreparedSchoolRemarks/

Read it first, then comment on it. (I'm not being rude or don't misunderstand)

Photobucket

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Ladyinthewater
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:22 PM

well i will be one of those parents that my child isn't listening he is going to school till 11:30 tomorrow im picking him up and thats that... If he wants to give a speech to his kids about staying in school go for it... BUT that is MY JOB with MY CHILD no one elses... If i would of had kids when daddy bush did it or when ciliton did it i would of pulled him then too... but i didn't i was in school then..

I am Kritterz a Tattoo Lovin, Married to a Punk Rocker, Pro "green", Co sleeping, Vax my Kid, anti-Obama, Pro Choice,  non-believer in "god"  Public school hating  , Jersey Girl, Pro Spanking,, True blood watcher Twlight Lover Harry Potter Fan,, I am not here to be bashed or judged, I am here for the fun, I hate the drama, I don't care how you raise your kids and don't expect you to care how i raise mine. Your way is right and so is mine . If you don't like what i think or feel well thats fine. 

Mommaof181
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Well, better make sure no one else tells your kid to stay in school. Like teachers, coaches etc. I dont see the big deal. If my daughter was in school I would be more than happy for her to watch it. I think it is a great speech. Whats the big deal about having more than just you teaching your child that its good to stay in school and reach for your dreams? Puling your kid out of school so they dont have to see a speech about staying in school seems a little silly. Imo.

Quoting Ladyinthewater:

well i will be one of those parents that my child isn't listening he is going to school till 11:30 tomorrow im picking him up and thats that... If he wants to give a speech to his kids about staying in school go for it... BUT that is MY JOB with MY CHILD no one elses... If i would of had kids when daddy bush did it or when ciliton did it i would of pulled him then too... but i didn't i was in school then..

“Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”

jojomommy
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:40 PM

the speech will play on sep 8th ?

greenie63
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:41 PM

As a future special education teacher it makes me wonder that you are taking your child home and not supporting him staying in school to enrich his education. Obama's speech won't be long, so because of this you'll interrupt his education? The parent is one person involved in a child's education, the teacher is another, school officials, and yes our president also. How could this be a negative effect on any child? Read the speech, it's highly motivational for all ages.

Quoting Ladyinthewater:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)