Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a 9 year old's question about the presidents speech..can ANYONE answer it? (PIOG)

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:22 PM
  • 28 Replies

I was just talking to my 9 year old about the parents who don't want their kids to hear the speech and told him that most of them don't want someone else telling their kids to try hard in school because they want to be the ones to send that message.  He asked "Do they get mad at people who tell their kids they are doing good? Isn't that the same thing, the president telling kids to do good and a stranger or a teacher telling kids they have done a good job?" I told him I didn't know the answer to that but that I would put it out here for all the moms to answer.

I am a cio, non-cosleeping, pro-choice, pro gay-marriage, organic food eating (when I can afford it), non video game allowing, karma believing, Twilight loving (yes vampires DO sparkle), OBAMA SUPPORTING, mommy to 2 perfect little boys, Godmother to 2 perfect little girls and wife to 1 perfect man.

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Swtmama62205
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:25 PM

I just replied in that other post.  But your daughter is very smart.  And no one is replying to it because i think that they honestly don't have a answer for this.  Its sad that a 9 year old gets it but a grown adult does not. Why would anyone not want someone encouraging their child in school?  Its just ridiculous and very controlling on the parents part

SAHM to two little boys Noah 4 and Andrew 2 And a loving wife to Ryan=)

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
momto3infl
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:29 PM

I feel the same way your child does about with strangers and teachers or other school staff telling the child good job or to stay in school. 

LOVE JOHN BARROWMAN "TORCHWOOD"

bordprson
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:29 PM

wow! 26 people have looked at this post but only two answers...and they don't even answer his question, they support it! Come on, ladies...someone should be smarter than my 4th grader!

I am a cio, non-cosleeping, pro-choice, pro gay-marriage, organic food eating (when I can afford it), non video game allowing, karma believing, Twilight loving (yes vampires DO sparkle), OBAMA SUPPORTING, mommy to 2 perfect little boys, Godmother to 2 perfect little girls and wife to 1 perfect man.

bordprson
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:37 PM

bump

I will keep bumping this until SOMEONE can answer my 9 year olds simple question!

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:41 PM

My younger girls asked me the exact same question after I read them the speech!  My 10 year old still doesn't want to watch it tomorrow.

Photobucket

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
aimige
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Most of the parents are being idiots because they cannot get past the fact that WHO HE IS...  If my kids were in public school I would let them listen to him...and no I didn't vote for him.  I believe on an "educational level" he is very intelligent and could be a roll model for the kids in that perspective even though I don't agree with his policies he is applying to the White House.

austinsm0mmy
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:42 PM

I don't think people object to the presidents speech per say i think its the questions teachers have been given to discuss after the speech. or that some schools are saying children will be punished if they don't listen - that I object too.

I think all children should watch the speech but the discussion afterwards shouldn't have such a politcal stance  it should be about the importance of education.

The issue is that this speech had politcal tones to it.  its not just about be good stay it school the questions afterwards lead many parents to believe that there is a degree of politcal indoctrination going on.

I would explain to your very smart 9 year old that some people don't like their children being told what to think and that we should all be able to decide what we think and thats why they don't want their watching it.

Child Passanger Safety Technician - Saving lives one car seat at a time!

Leener3
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Will you please do me a favor bordprson - keep that 9 year old of yours in school - because in my book - he is one smart cookie.

I'm trying to think of what career would he excel in? He definitely has  common sense - so I guess that leaves out any job in politics!  

PrincesaBoricua
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:45 PM

You have a very smart child. And he gets it. I wish more adults got it too. Great opportunity to instill the respect the office of President deserves regardless of political affiliation, too.

Fear from the unknown, ignorance, those are the things stopping most parents. The only way to defeat them is with more education. We cannot give up.

Lauriemom
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Im still kinda confused about the entire thing

Why is it that some people dont' want their kids to watch it anyway??  I did not vote for our president nor do I agree with him at ALL but why on earth would I not want my kids to see the speech?? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)