Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Damn! My sons school is a nut free school... Edit in red!

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:25 PM
  • 317 Replies

And pretty much everything he wants to bring for snack has peanut butter or some sort of nut in it. What do you send you child to school with for a snack? Im trying to get ideas to suggest for him.

Thanks

Thank you to the ladies that ACTUALLY gave me snack ideas! I don't know how a post about SNACK IDEAS can turn into a debate! I have no problem with not giving my son nut products to bring to school. Some kids can have severe reactions and Im not about to risk someone's life just so my son to bring nuts to school for snack. Sometimes cafemom really dissappoints me.

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BlessedToBMommy
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:26 PM

Sliced veggies and fruits with yogurt

Dott038
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:27 PM

I have never heard of  a nut free school! why Nut free?

strawgirl
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:29 PM

nut allergies

Quoting Dott038:

charady

because peanut allergies are on the rise, even having the dust for some kids is enough to cause their airways to close...or another kid eats something with nuts, touches a toy/playground equipment, the allergic kid touches it and it can end badly.

So alot of schools are going nut free if anyone is allergic at all to nuts.  Sucks for some, but on the other hand if it was my kid i would be grateful. 

youngmommy2be09

Quoting Dott038:

Nut and peanut allergies can be deadly to some kids. Some kids dont even have to eat it in order to have a allergic reaction.

I've known kids that if their next to nuts that they'll throat will close up.

It's really scary!

I think veggies with ranch, go gurts! You can freeze them, Cookies.

I know this World Is So...Cold and Deceiving, But I keep my Head up...Like My nose is bleeding. - Lil Wayne- 

mrsmilfy
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Tell the parent of the kid with the peanut allergy to bring a lunch for your kid.

butterflyblu
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:31 PM

To protect the children with peanut allergies.  Some children are so allergic, even a slight exposure to peanut residue can send them in anaphylactic shock (i.e. they can't breathe and need an epi pen).   The daycare my son occasionally goes to is peanut free. 

Fresh fruit or fruit cup, yogurt or Go-gurt, animal crackers, pretzels, carrot sticks, fruit snacks.

Quoting Dott038:

unicorndreams
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:32 PM

That is BS... tell them that he NEEDS the peanut butter to keep iron up and other minerals found in it and that you WILL NOT deprive your son of items he needs to grow and stay healthy. 

una1

Thats very rude

Quoting mrsmilfy:

Tell the parent of the kid with the peanut allergy to bring a lunch for your kid.

mrsmilfy

Quoting charady:

because peanut allergies are on the rise, even having the dust for some kids is enough to cause their airways to close...or another kid eats something with nuts, touches a toy/playground equipment, the allergic kid touches it and it can end badly.

So alot of schools are going nut free if anyone is allergic at all to nuts.  Sucks for some, but on the other hand if it was my kid i would be grateful. 

I seriusly wonder why that is. I never had a kid in my class with a peanut allergy. The worst thing I've ever seen was a kid with asthma. More kids with autism, more kids with peanut allergies...I don't get why there is such a signifigant increase now-a-days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)