Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism Spectrem Disorder

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:25 PM
  • 2 Replies

Hello, I just found out that my son has Autism Spectrem Disorder, and I was really hoping that some other Mother's out there could help me to understand what my son is going through. I have posted several thing's on here trying to get some of you Mother's to help me, so I would know what I could do to help my son, and no one has responded to me yet. Someone told me to try this group and see if I could get any help through here. So, here I am trying this group out. I just would really like to know what I'm facing and what I can do to help my son. He means the world to me and right now I'm lost at what I can do to help him. He is going through Therapy now for his Autism, and other personal thing's that has happened to him with his Father. I am also trying to get myself set up in a Parent Support Group, so I will know how to work with him. He also has an IEP (Individual Education Plan) set up for one day next week at the school. PLEASE if there is any Mother's out there that can help me understand what my son is facing and help to me know what I can do to help him I would really appreciate it. It would mean so much to me. My child is 7 years old. Right now we are justing starting out.  Most of his weakness is that he can't read,write, spell anything that a second grader can do (which is the grade that he is in), he can't do. The doctor did give recommendations for him to come back and see him every month, and for him to get started into counseling for the Autism plus the thing's that he has been through with his Father. He was molested by his Father when he was 4 years old, and has just started sleeping by his self and I just got him fully potty trained at 7. I hope that there are some MOther's out there that would be willing to help me out.

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Just_Bethy
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:35 PM

My 7 year old son has autism and has an IEP as well. What did you want to know?...I treat Nicky pretty much as I treat my other 3 kids...I might be a little more patient though..lol... Nicky cannot write though and I held him back to repeat first grade....He can read though but not well...

Drillers Wife, Toughest Job In The Oil Field.

mrsmilfy
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:40 PM

My baby brother (9) was diagnosed with high functioning autism. They couldn't consider it Aspberger's (sp?), because he can't do some of the basic life skills things yet (like tying his shoes, etc.). When he is a little older they think he will be classified as having Aspberger's. He is extremely intelligent. The psychologist was actually saying she could name a couple surgeon's in the hospital who were autistic. My brother is really socially awkward and doesn't really have empathy. He would make a great scientist or some other profession where he did not really have to interact much with people. I am doing as much research as I can on the subject. I know my mom feels guilty about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)