Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

D&C tomorrow

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:41 PM
  • 15 Replies

Anyone gone through this?  I miscarried the new baby and have a d&c tomorrow.  My husband took off work to take care of our DD who is breastfed....I have enough milk pumped to last most of the day since I'll be given anesthesia and am not sure when I'll really be up and  moving again. 

I'm doing okay, emotionally...because I trust God more than myself...

But I have to admit I'm a bit nervous about being put under tomorrow for this surgery.  I know it's minor...but still.

Anyone on tonight have experience with a d&c?

Thanks so much.

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rennez
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:42 PM

oh, mama.  i'm so sorry.  i've heard that physically, it's not entirely terrible.  major cramps and stuff afterwards.  good luck.

FL2AK
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:42 PM

I have never experienced it but I just wanted to say I am very sorry for your loss. 

TheresaMomof9
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:44 PM

im sorry I'm sorry for the loss of your child. {{hugs}} I had one D&C following a miscarriage. You'll likely be a little crampy afterwards, but nothing worse than menstrual cramps. Be prepared for an array of emotions. That's all normal. You're mourning a loss. Usually these go quickly so don't worry about being *under*. It will be a short time. I'll pray for you, mama!

missingbelle
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:46 PM

What to expect after the D&C Procedure:

D and C procedures can be emotionally trying on women.Most women are discharged from the surgical center or hospital within a few hours of the procedure. If there are complications or you have other medical conditions, you may be kept longer. You will more than likely be given an antibiotic to help prevent infection and possibly some pain medication to help with the initial cramping after the procedure. Things to know about taking care of yourself at home:

• Most women can return to normal activities within a few days, and some feel good enough to return to normal non strenuous activity within 24 hours.
  • You may experience some painful cramping initially, but this should not last longer than 24 hours.
  • Light cramping and bleeding can be expected from a few days to up to 2 weeks. Ibuprofen is usually suggested for treating cramps.
  • You should not insert anything into the vaginal area, including douche and sexual intercourse, for at least 2 weeks or until the bleeding stops. (Your health care provider should give you specific instruction for when intercourse can resume.) 
  • Tampons should not be used until you start your next regular period, which could be anywhere from 2-6 weeks after the D&C procedure.
  • It will be unknown when ovulation will return, so once sexual intercourse is allowed, you should use a method of contraception until your health care provider says it is okay to try to get pregnant again
devasmom
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:50 PM

So sorry for the loss of your baby! When I miscarried at 10 weeks, I had a natural miscarriage, I did not need a D & C. I do believe that you will experience some cramping and probably be sore, with a little bleeding. Again, sorry for your loss, God Bless.

of 6of 3 beautiful girls

MommyAkaTiffany
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:51 PM

I haven't experianced one myself but I stayed with my sister to watch her children after hers, she was crampy and spent most of the day in the bed or a warm bath. im sorry

cdecker83
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Thanks for your replies.  I'm glad to hear within a day I should be back to normal. 

LauraKW
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Expect to be uncomfortable and bleed for a few days - not exactly pain, but some bad cramps.  Good luck.

momgirlsx2
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:14 PM

I had one a couple of years ago for a different reason, but I was just tired after it. The next day I was a little sore, but was able to function with no problems. Nothing a little Advil couldn't handle.  Good Luck and hope you are feeling better soon.

im sorry

Proud mom of 2 girls.
jenny198356
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:15 PM

I had one done about 6 yrs ago...easy ....well other than the greiving...that part sucked...really bad. D&C...went in about 10am they took care of everything and then came out and went home about an hour later. dont remember anything til about 5 or 6 that afternoon I was really drugged up. After that a whole lot of greiving....worst time I have ever had in my life and wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. The D&C itself was simple, the grief was the worst part. I actually enjoyed the pain of the miscarraige...never took any pain relievers that they gave me because I felt that the miscarraige was my fault. The pain to me was like a way to pay for what ever I had done to deserve the miscarraige...sorry I am rambling.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)