Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Nut Free School Post Had Me Thinking...

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:59 PM
  • 16 Replies

Why do you think there are so many nut allergies these days and why are the reactions so severe?  I don't recall kids being so sensative to nuts when I was growing up?  I can't even think of anyone I grew up who had such an allergy.  It seems odd to me that there is susch a nut allergy outbreak these days?

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
serioussifL
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:03 PM

good question. bump 

I am a breastfeeding, pro-choice, vaccinating, Turbo Jamming,
disposable diaper using, cio sometimes, cat loving, dieting, married
and love my husband
Army wife and momwww.myspace.com/serioussifl  Check out my music!

farout
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:04 PM

that is a very good question I do not know the anwer either

heres a bump

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Very good and interesting question.  I never knew anyone growing up with a nut or any food allergy.

But just because I wasn't aware of it doesn't mean i'm going to be rude toward another parent because their kid has a food allergy.  I couldn't believe some of the comments in the other post. 

mdwright4
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:05 PM

I was thinking about this the other day after talking to my grandma.

Bump

raegansmom
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:07 PM

I agree.  I hope I did not come off rude with my question!  I am very ignorant on the subject, as I said, I don't know anyone who has such an allergy, so I have not given it much thought.  But the whole nut allergy thing seems pretty recent; I just wonder why nuts are so toxic to some people now?

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

Very good and interesting question.  I never knew anyone growing up with a nut or any food allergy.

But just because I wasn't aware of it doesn't mean i'm going to be rude toward another parent because their kid has a food allergy.  I couldn't believe some of the comments in the other post. 

Kestrel1

Because penuts have evolved and developed defense mechanisms?

Because dork hybridizing has taken asthmatic to a new hieght??

Because short bus is the new cool???

Take your pick.  I wonder too.

kimsamomof3
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:07 PM

I think a big part of it is that nuts and nut products are getting introduced to kids earlier then it they used to.

My dd became allerigc ot nuts when she was 2. She ate them for about 1 year before the allergy started. At age 8 she was retested and her peanut allergy was gone.

treehugger823

idk. my sister was allergic to peanuts. but she just couldn't eat them, being around them didn't do anything.

But now her kids are deathly allergic to just about everything under the sun. i dont get it.

pregnancy due date
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:07 PM

I don't know if this is why but it's one theory I heard and it makes sense to me.

I had read an article when I was pregnant with DS (1999-2000) that said you're not supposed to give an infant peanuts or nuts, nut products, until they're 18 months.  However, a lot of pregnant women eat peanut butter as a way to get protein into their diets.  As a result, the fetus is exposed to peanuts/nuts at an early age and develops the allergy.  I remember being scared because for a long time, all I could eat was peanut butter and jelly.

We had a cat who was born with a neuro disease.  It was because his mother wasn't vaccinated and she contracted felineleukopenia and passed it on to him while his cells were developing while she was pregnant.  Knowing this is I think what fostered my fear.

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:09 PM

I have no idea.  My son is severly alllergic.  We almost lost him when he was 5 because a dumb medical person gave him a breathing treatment you should NEVER give kids with peanut allergy....says it in the packaging and they were told in the ER he is allergic to peanuts.  My baby boy ended up in intensive care for 4 days.  I have almost lost my son....my baby was grey, and basically unresponsive....yeah....peanut allery is nothing to play with.  It was an INHALED medication not oral and it almost killed him. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)