Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMG - Hoarders

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:41 PM
  • 16 Replies

Has anyone seen the show on A & E called Hoarders? It's on now here and these people's homes are afwul. There's stuff everywhere. The one family has all kinds of stuff - clothes, toys, trash, food......... they just walk on top of it. The other house the woman has food everywhere and most of it is rotting. She has Yogurt in her frig that expired 6 months ago and she plans to eat it. I can not imagine living like that.  I had an Aunt who used to hoard, but her addiction was paper products and  bolts of material. I understand this is a problem for them, but the food  ewwwwwwww.

Proud mom of 2 girls.
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
redhottmama01
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:43 PM

I was watching that tonight too....its so gross!I cant imagine living like that...it is really sad

fallnangel93
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:44 PM

I watch that show all the time! The new one starts in 15 minutes. I love that show! lol

Mommyto6under7
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:46 PM

I set it up to TiVo tonight. I don't know why..haha. It looks like a cool show though.

icturner
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:46 PM

I love that show. The one you are watching is a repeat and that lady said the expiration date doesn't matter. She said as long as it doesn't swell or smell its ok to eat.  Gross. But I do like that show!!!!

possummom
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:49 PM

even if i had cable...i could not watch it. that kind of mess just sickens me. so many of those people have kids that live in it too.

answin
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:52 PM

I absolutely LOVE this show, since it has been on I have felt compelled to go out and become a professional organizer to help people in these situations. I can seriously on all levels empathize with these people, and as crazy as some of their compulsions may seem they are all driven by something that they cannot just get over and control without the help of a professional, friend, or family member.

About the food hoarder, you have to understand where she is coming from. Growing up, they didn't have everything. She was a child of the depression, so naturally stocking up and saving things was deeply instilled in her. There is always a, what if I need it, it can be used for something else, or it's still good. A lot people are like this every day of their lives... these thoughts run through their minds, it's just that we are more able to shut them out and say "it's bad now" or "it's junk" and dispose of it.

There are many levels of hoarding, the worst I feel are the ones who are attached to things because they trigger memories, or because the object was someone elses. Or people who are depressed and shop then become attached to the objects they buy.

mommy_n_mac

Yes, I am watching that show right now.  I can't smell it but I am still gagging. 

marines

momgirlsx2

Quoting icturner:

I love that show. The one you are watching is a repeat and that lady said the expiration date doesn't matter. She said as long as it doesn't swell or smell its ok to eat.  Gross. But I do like that show!!!!

My dd is watching it with me and they just opened a drawer in the frig that had some rotten meat in it. She just about lost her cookies!! She said that was the nastiest thing she has ever seen. She went to bed she couldn't watch any more.

Proud mom of 2 girls.
MissAndrea125
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:54 PM

what channel?

HopesMommy3408
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:55 PM

im watching it right now.. and i feel bad for these people..:(.. they said its a metal illness.. its not there fault there like that..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)