Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do they actually make diapers for 7 yr old??

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:47 PM
  • 32 Replies

Here is the deal with my 7 yr old. He doesnt like to go to the bathroom. He is so afraid he is going to miss something while he is in there. So he waits and waits until it is the last minute to go and then ends up wetting himself right there in front of the toilet.  I even see him dancing around and ask him...do you need to go? He always tells me no. I even argue with him at times over it, I know better, I know he has to go.  So anyways, I have told him that if he doesnt stop doing that he is going to have issues with his bladder later on in life. Well now it is a game or something to him. He just came out to me all sorts of happy and xcited and goes...guess what mommy I just pee'd my pants. And hands them to me, then asks for a shower and some clean ones. I mean seriously, I am not convinced he doesnt know any better. So now what I am asking is, do they make diapers for a 7 yr old? make him wear them and possibly stop him doing this?  Poor  guy is going to get made fun of in school and be labeled already. Or if there are any suggestions of what I can do to curb this behavior.

I have tried a lot of things, he really does think it is funny, and likes to get the rise out of me.

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1busymomma03
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:49 PM

I really don't have much advice. I would talk to his doctor about his behavior and see what they have to say about it.

tabi_cat1023
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Depends on the size of the 7 year old...mine can fit in size 5 luvs...and in pull ups, he's tiny.  I know this becuase he WAS like your son and I broke him of that this summer thank god, but he is still a bed wetter.  We tried meds and everything nothing works doctor says to give it time.  They have bigger size pulls ups and goodnights made for older kids.

Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Honestly at that age and how hes doing it i would not only punish him when he does it. Like if he watching tv and doesnt wanna stop watching to go then he doesnt watch tv. I would also tell him like every hour he has to go in there and try intill hes willing to go on his own when he has to.

Because i love my little girl  Because yes i am Bipolar

Trisomy 18 Has affected my life For my aunt

For my grampa (lung cancer) For my papa (liver cancer)

Pink and Blue because infants deserve to be remembered too

WHAT COLORS ARE IN YOUR LIFE?

tabi_cat1023
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:50 PM

OH and we started taking away whatever he was doing that made him not want to go to the bathroom, he would lose it for 2 days...whether it be TV, video games, outside playing etc.

KeepOnWalking
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:50 PM

I'm going to say no on this one. I'm pretty sure diapers are based on weight not age, that being said diapers only go up to a size 6 (and even that is becoming more and more rare). However, they do make pullups he can wear. My SO's nephew who is 8 wears them still. I'd look into those It's a little less embarassing putting them in a pull up rather than a diaper. If this is such a problem for your child start setting a timer or shut the t.v. off until he can go.

gobimom
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:51 PM

First of all have you spoken to your child's pedi about this?  There are some medical reason's that cause children his age to wet his pants.  Second they make small adult diapers so yes that is a possibility...however I would not do it to "embarrass" him into going to the bathroom.  If this is a behavioral problem maybe he is doing it for attention.  I would make him take a bathroom break every few hours and try and get him into a routine.  Does he do it at school or in front of others and if so what is his reaction?

QueenCrnchyMama
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:51 PM

I would first of all say, please try cloth diapers. There are so many huge trainers out there for bigger children. try checking http://www.diaperswappers.com/

just think of the environment. But yes, my stepson was in diapers at night until he was 10. they make HUGE diapers.

twitchymom78
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:52 PM

well they make good-nites. they are like pull-ups for older children at night.  i think i would be carrying him to the bathroom.

Quoting 1busymomma03:

I really don't have much advice. I would talk to his doctor about his behavior and see what they have to say about it.

momofgirls63
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Maybe just make him go in and try like every hour. (treat him like a 2 yr old if that's what it takes!) If he refuses to go try then take away privleges. He'll get tired of that real quick! GL

eddysmommy
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:53 PM

they have those night time pull ups or what ever they are called for older kids

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)