Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why does my son do this? anyone know?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:50 PM
  • 9 Replies

i was wondering if anyone had any advice on my ds. first off i have noticed that when he is playing with his toy cars and trucks he will line them all up in a perfect line biggest to smallest. if one gets out of place he will put it back in line and be sure it is lined up right behind the rest. he also knows all his body parts, is talking up a storm, will do something like throw something away in the trash if i ask him to and will let me know if he dirtied his diaper. he knows where to find his shoes and will bring them to me when he needs to put them on. he knows that pooping and peeing is for the potty even though he is not fully potty trained yet. but it is lining and stacking toys in order that fascinates me. i always hear of children that line and stack are autistic yet my son does not have any other autistic trait and is not behind in speech or any other way of development so what does this mean? does anyone else's kid do this?

baby
pregnancy due date
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
rayzensun
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:51 PM

mabye he has aspergers

headeraspergerwomanmetteksten-1.gif picture by rayzensun
rayzensun
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:52 PM

they are usually just as or more intelligent than the mass population

headeraspergerwomanmetteksten-1.gif picture by rayzensun
kksmommy23
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:54 PM

maybe he is OCD and it is showing up really early. I dont know if that is even possible  but its a thought.

FL2AK
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:55 PM

When my oldest was a toddler he would line up everything by size and/or color.  Now that he is 14 he still likes everything to be in order.  He is a gifted kid who has always been pretty serious and anal.  It is just his personality.  I really would not think much about it.  

Mommy2Nikolas
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:56 PM

I think it's just a sign of higher intelligence. My brother did that when he was little, and he's a (relatively) normal guy LOL

Jedimommy07
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:57 PM

my son does stuff like that he also has to have his cup in the same place on his table at dinner. He likes to sort laundry and dishes but my hubby is really anal and has weird little habits its just who he is. I wouldn't stress it too much what's you pediatrician say?

mamaslilpunkin
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:57 PM

I've seen many kids who line up stuff and none of them were autistic.I think its just a skill they learn and maybe a control thing..he sounds perfectly normal to me! 

Lilypie
2boysnow
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:59 PM

my baby started doing this when he was about 18 months, he's 4 now. I think its just something boys do he is probularly fine

LauraKW
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:01 PM

You would never know my boys were on the spectrum if I didn't tell you - you would just think they had some quirks.  Autism comes in all flavors and colors.  If you are truly concerned, have him evaluated by a developmental pediatrician.  They can either put your mind at rest or let you know early if something might be going on with him.  Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)