Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WHY do you need more than one job???

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:55 PM
  • 39 Replies

Ok so I see all of these people on here who one or both parents have to work more than one job...

I am not talking about single parents or parents with more than 3 kids...

If you have one or two children and you and your spouse both work and one of you has to pick up a second or even third job, why?

is it by choice?  are you living beyond your means?  Is the area you live in expensive?

if you could move to cut down on living costs, would you?

My hubby is the only one who works, and we do OK.  We have 1 vehicle and do not have a lot of extras.  We do not have cable, and we do not eat out. 

This is in no way bashing ANYONE, I am simply curious.

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovemymarine306
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:57 PM

there are many reasons including medical bills, unexpected expenses, and balloning mortgage payments.  count yourself lucky that you don't need to pick up extra jobs...i know i do everyday.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie

gobimom
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:59 PM

I say good for them for doing what they have to do to take care of their family.

Godsgirl4ever06
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:01 PM

you must be blessed cause i am always picking up hours. things come up bills rent car payments anything

luv2wahm
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:04 PM

my husband and I both work full time. Plus he runs a part time business on the side...the money from that side business goes towards Christmas...birthday presents etc..and the rest gets put into a retirement account.

family in the van

Who I am as a mom can not be expressed in a paragraph. It is expressed by who my children will become.

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:05 PM

I know I am blessed.  I live in a low cost area... rent is 350 for a 3 bedroom house.  We own our vehicle but its not a new one, it was only $2000.  We have a little bit of debt, student loans... but we stay away from credit cards and such... Hubby has a good job too, I am grateful he even has one let alone one that pays well.

Quoting Godsgirl4ever06:

you must be blessed cause i am always picking up hours. things come up bills rent car payments anything

lwalker270
by Lara on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Quoting lovemymarine306:

there are many reasons including medical bills, unexpected expenses, and balloning mortgage payments.  count yourself lucky that you don't need to pick up extra jobs...i know i do everyday.

I agree. 

Plus, having a single car doesn't work for every family.  DH has a 50 minute commute one-way and leaves the house at 6:00 a.m. and leaves work at 3:30, so I'd either have to drive him every day or be stuck without a car.  My oldest gets off the bus at 3:40, so it would create issues.  So another car would be a definite reason DH or I would work an extra job.

Mommy2Nikolas
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:11 PM

OMG, where do you live?! We're paying $996 to rent a two bedroom apt in Reno, NV. It would have been higher but we lived in a one bedroom before so the complex lowered the rate so we would stay here.

Quoting MommySwiggles:

I know I am blessed.  I live in a low cost area... rent is 350 for a 3 bedroom house.  We own our vehicle but its not a new one, it was only $2000.  We have a little bit of debt, student loans... but we stay away from credit cards and such... Hubby has a good job too, I am grateful he even has one let alone one that pays well.

Quoting Godsgirl4ever06:

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:11 PM

dh has one job, we do well with budgeting, and all that. We go out to eat about four time a month, we have two cars. I think the reason that some people have two and three jobs is because everyone cant live like you do, or they live in a very expensive area, or maybe they have a alot debt and some people just want more kwim??. I remember complaining once because we were so broke because dh was in the process of getting good job, and in the mean time he had a little job making like 14 doller an hour. Well I was talking to someone on here and they were like "what???? 14 dollers an hour, that was good to them". But we live in Cali and 14 doller's an hour was the hardest we ever lived. Thank God it was not for long but we could not have lived off just that, not here.

LauraKW
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:12 PM

What would happen if your husband was laid off tomorrow?  If he was out of work for 3 or 4 months?  Do you have enough savings to pay your mortgage, buy food, etc until he found another job (hopefully you do, I would never want anyone to go without).  But things like that happen every day.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:14 PM

We are in Cali and we pay 1100 for a three bedroom. But I am happy we just got out a 3000$ a month and raising mortgage so it feels so great compared to what we paid before. lol I feel like I can finally breath again.

Quoting Mommy2Nikolas:

OMG, where do you live?! We're paying $996 to rent a two bedroom apt in Reno, NV. It would have been higher but we lived in a one bedroom before so the complex lowered the rate so we would stay here.

Quoting MommySwiggles:

Quoting Godsgirl4ever06:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)