Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone Have a Good Recipe???

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:06 PM
  • 4 Replies

Does anyone know any really good, make ahead type recipes?  I'm having company over on Sunday after church and I'm looking for something that can feed a lot of people, children included.

Thanks in advance!

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Jenniy
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:17 PM

I make kind of a cheesy veggie soup.  It lasts my family 2-3 days when I make it. 

5lbs potatoes

1 medium bag broccoli (frozen)

1 medium bag cauliflower (frozen)

1 lg and 1 small brick Velvetta Cheese

Milk

Boil the potatoes, and then drain and cube them, cook the broccoli and cauliflower per directions on the bag, set all the vegg aside and add about 1 cup of milk to start with to a large pan and add cubed velvetta cheese till it melts, keep adding milk and cheese little by little till it's soupy, pour over veggies and keep on low, add salt and pepper to taste.   We leave the potato skins on, but my grandma always removed them. 

baby growth

baby

baby

collegemama
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:56 PM

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recipetemplate.php?scale=9+qts&mid=1927 

This is a pasta fagioli recipe that tastes exactly like the Olive Garden soup. Sooo yummy - plus it makes 9 quarts! I made half a recipe for my family and we ate it for 3 days and it filled the biggest pot I own. So a full recipe would feed a lot. Plus it's hearty and filling. I served mine with breadsticks and alfredo sauce and had salad on the side (I was trying to re-create olive garden at home and it worked!). It was so delish that my DF who hates veggies ate it and my DD who always picks out the veggies when we eat it at OG ate 2 big bowls and licked the bowl LOL

If you do decide to make this I would read some of the reviews because they have good tips in there like waiting until you're about to serve it before adding the noodles because they'll get soggy after a day or so.

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:06 PM

wave

Thank you for posting on the group!  We're glad you're here!

You may also want to post on  these CafeMom Groups:
Advice for Moms

Recipes

Recipe Swap!

We suggest joining and meeting other Moms in these Recommended Groups, too!

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

The search bar at the top of every page can be used to search for specific information.

We hope you're enjoying the site!

- The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

twitchymom78
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:12 PM

these are my bil's: 

10 or 12 peeled tomatillos
3 serrano chiles
1 ancho chile
1/2 small red onion, chopped
4 good-sized Haas avocados
1 1/2 cup fresh, chopped cilantro
2 cups of good sour cream; Daisy or Breakstone Dairy, but for the love of God don't use the light stuff
Salt, to taste. 

Fill a saucepan with water, bring to a boil, and add the tomatillos, onion and chiles. Simmer for 10 minutes or so, until they are all soft and mushy.

Peel, pit, and chop the avocados.

Combine the tomatillos, chiles, avocado, onion, cilantro, and salt in a food processor, and blend until it is all smooth and creamy.

Pour into a large bowl, and stir in the sour cream to your desired consistency. (Thicker for dip, more runny for enchilada sauce.)

This is a good topping for a lot of stuff, actually, and can be served with nachos, enchiladas, or even as a tamale topping. (Non-traditional, but hey, why be hidebound? Trust me, it's good.)

The second recipe is a bit fancier, if not as involved.

You will need:

1/2 pound blue crab meat (cooked)
1 1/2 tablespoons minced serrano chile
1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro (ok, let me just make a note here. Cilantro is in every grocery store on the planet; it's readily available. Seriously, just use fresh for every single meal, ok? It's always worth it; the pre-pack stuff is nasty, always.)
1/2 cup diced tomatillo
1/4 cup finely diced celery
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 lemon
1 lime
salt to taste

...And for what I do with this, also 4 medium tomatoes. (If you'd prefer to cut down on the veggies, and you don't like tomatoes enough to just eat them plain, you can use the meat from the tomatoes in the recipe instead of the tomatillo, but the tomatillo flavor is better. Up to you. Anyway, hollow out the 4 tomatoes.)

Squeeze the juice from the lemon and lime into a cup and discard the remains.

Combine all the ingredients except the hollowed-out tomatoes in a bowl including the lemon-lime juice, stir together evenly, and let chill for 20 minutes or so.

Once the salad itself is ready, fill the hollow tomatoes with it, and serve.

You can also use this crab salad as a garnish on a lot of other dishes; it adds a nice, lightly spicy touch of the sea to any dish, and goes well with many vegetable or seafood dishes.

You can also use - as a variation on the stuffed tomatoes - Anaheim chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded, and split length-wise; this is a tad bit spicier but sure is tasty.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)