Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who paid for your wedding? **ETA AGAIN***

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:06 PM
  • 335 Replies

My family has been very generous as has my fiance's family in providing funds for us to get married. This was their decision and something they all wanted to do for us and we greatly appreciate.

Now, my father who lives in NY in an independently contracted builder and owns all of his own tools and machines that he uses to work. He has been an emotional and financial deadbeat most of my life, but since my son was born almost two years ago he has pulled his shit together and become a wonderful and supportive father and grandfather. I spoke with my aunt yesterday and she said that he is trying to sell his tools and machines to help get a few thousand for my wedding (WHICH i DON'T WANT HIM TO DO!) because my family, especially my mom, is giving him a hard time for not contributing. My fiance is also annoyed with him for various reasons including some wedding stuff. I did call my dad and tell him this mornig I would never want him to go in debt or sell anything for we wedding, especially when we already have so much, I just feel bad that my mom is being such a brat towards him and telling me that he doesn't deserve to walk me down the aisle etc... because he isn't contributing when he really can't.

The only reason I mentoined the thing before about my mom having a lot of money and not wanting to give me more was because she is the one telling my dad that I need more money and he should be providing it, which pisses me off because she could easily just give me the money herself if she really felt that way, but she is just trying to make my dad feel bad because she knows he doesn't have the money.

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenny301
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:13 PM

We paid for most of our wedding ourselves.  My mom and dad gave us $1,000.  That's all they could afford.  You guys should be VERY grateful that you are getting what you are.

Godsgirl4ever06
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:15 PM

well since we got married in the court house all we needed was a marraige lisence so we paid for that and then we had a little reception at a dining resteruant and my mother in law paid for most of that

momof2girls2407
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:15 PM

My husband and I paid for our own wedding.  We knew exactly what we wanted and how much it was going to be. roughly 550.00-600.00 including the church and reception, which was a bbq at a local park

April282008
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:22 PM

My husband and I paid for everything ourselves.  We took $3000 and went to Vegas for 5 days.  I think you should be appreciative of the $20,000 you already have.

MommyMerry7
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Are you kidding?  $20,000 on a wedding?  That is crazy and very materialistic......weddings aren't about that.....we paid for our wedding ourself...my mom paid for our honeymoon and my dad paid for my dress which was only $100......

I wouldn't even accept any money from my dad if he was selling all of his tools....that is crazy....

Sorry but I'm just not into spending all that money on a wedding and if I was offered that much I either wouldn't accept it or I would give it to charity or save it. 

This world really ruined weddings and now they all seem to be about "image" which really isn't what it is about at all.

Laura913
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:23 PM

omg sounds like all ppl care about is money and that's a lot of money for your wedding

i paid for my whole wedding myself, my husband worked and i worked and we put some of it on the credit card, which we paid off. his mom and dad ended up giving us 500 dollars as a gift and my friend's family paid for my reception as their gift but that's it

if you are adult and want to get married then i think you should pay for the wedding

i don't believe in the whole family pays for that crap

pregnancy week by week

I am pregnant with my first baby!

tennisfanactic
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:23 PM

You shouldn't let you dad sell his tools. I think you have more than enough coming in to have a decent wedding. As for your question, we paid for our wedding and 2nd wedding (we renewed our vows) ourselves.

jcsmummy
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:25 PM

you're very fortunate to have such generous family member. we paid $1300, $1250 was out of pocket.  

Crystal, proud wife to Justin (12/17/07),
proud mommy to 'Turkey Pie' Jamie (01/19/05)
and 'Baby Bear' Corben (07/10/08)

Laura913
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:26 PM

o i forgot to tell u how much we spent

300 for my dress

100 for flower girls

300 for all the tuxes rented

church was free cuz i'm a member

300 for the cake

and that's about it...

my fil and mil paid for the rehersal dinner which was probably only about 400 we had it catered

my friend's family paid for reception which was a lot probably 1000?? cuz of food and renting a room

and my bridesmaid paid for their dresses but they got them off ebay

pregnancy week by week

I am pregnant with my first baby!

Ladyinthewater
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:27 PM

my mom... she paid for it all the 34,000 for my wedding and then the 14,000 for my honey moon. my dad gave nothing. My inlaws gave us 500 for the rehersal dinner... we didn't pay a dime for anything , my family is tradtional and they beleive the brides family fronts the bill. so they did...i had the dream wedding my dress was an additional 3400, my flowers were the cheapest since my mom did them herself and did an awesome job! the brides maids were an aditional 180 per dress and the flower girl was around 100. 

dinner was about 75 per plate the venue site was free since we had the whole thing at the same resport the Dj was about 1500.00 we had to pay an additional 3400 to the hotel cause i didn't want an open bar so i had to pay for the "amount they could of gotten" and i even had a desert table to try and off set costs. the photograher was around 3000.00 rental of the room was a 10,000 mim. as long as we went over the 10,000 mim we didn't have a huge rental price...

I am a almost 30 yr old mommy I am a SAHM that's hates her life as just a mommy and a wife I love my son to death he is my heart and soul I love my husband and he is my honey bunches of oats. my mom and my sister are my best friend. i do spank my child i do support making marijuana legal i don't believe in CIO and I think the ERFing is stupid, I let my kid eat what he wants and play video games i am not here for your approval but i do like a good debate ya don't like it tough you wanna know more cool

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)