Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Really Disappointed with Toys R Us' Birthday Club

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:26 PM
  • 17 Replies

I signed both my boys up for the Toys R Us Birthday Club about 4 months ago.

We went to Toys R Us 2 weeks ago and someone had a birthday.  They announced the child's birthday over the intercom, sang happy birthday, gave her a special cart...all the employees would high 5 her and say Happy Birthday when they saw her.  So my son was excited because his birthday was coming up...

Well today is my eldest's 7th birthday and since we had his party on Saturday, we decided to take him to Toys R Us so he could spend some of birthday money. 

We went to the counter, and yes it is Labor Day...and it was kind of busy, but there were a lot of employees.  Well I told the lady it was my son's birthday...she gave me an annoyed look...and said...OH...I HOPE THERE IS AIR FOR THE DAMN BALLOON.  She grudgingly gave my son a balloon and a crown....tossed them at him...and yelled out HAPPY BIRTHDAY unenthusiastically...and turned back to the other customer. 

Well we stood at the counter because we were waiting for them to ask for his name, so they could announce his birthday...or give him the "birthday cart" that was behind the counter.  She saw us standing there...and she was like HAPPY BIRTHDAY I SAID!!! and made a shooing gesture at us!  I asked her if she was going to do all the special stuff that was advertised, and she looked at me like I was crazy...and says..."Well, it's a HOLIDAY...we're kind of BUSY." and she turns around back the the other customers. 

Oh...and her name tag said she was a manager.  It was really disappointing because my son was expecting the same treatment the other little girl got 3 weeks ago.  So I guess if a child's birthday falls on a holiday...they don't deserve a special day. 

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
monkeysmom2003
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:28 PM
  • happy birthdayI would call the company .. ( happy birthday little man!)

I would love to have some amigas !! that
also speak Spanish .(I'm Mexican but raised in the USA) I'm a stay at
home mom of two kids  . a five year old boy and a two year old girl .
they are my world .. my dh is American and we met in high school .we
got secretly married on march 19 2003.. during spring break .  and on
our honeymoon we each went to our own home to sleep , also i do believe
in a god , but not in the bible. so if you will like to know me better
send me a friend request .. O yeah I write better in Spanish!

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Even the manager has a boss. That is who I would have been speaking too.

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

Bekah062205
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:29 PM

did you call corporate and complain about this girl and how rude she was not only to you but to your son as well???i dont think i would have been so nice to that lady...and im not the confrontational type

wedding tickers

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Birthday Party Blower Birthday Candles Birthday Balloon Happy Birthday

I agree with the pp..  I would be asking to speak with her boss [if she wasn't there] i'd be calling first thing in the morning.  If you receive no luck there ask for the corporate number to call and complain.  I work in customer service and you shouldn't have been treated that way regardless of they were busy or if it was a holiday.  

celticreverie
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:32 PM

It is NOT the Birthday Club's fault. It's that particular store, and management. I would call that store, and ask if her supervisor was available. If she was the head, I'd call corporate and complain about that store. Remember, the corporation doesn't screen or hire the employees many times because in a lot of cases it's a franchise operation so while it's the Toy's R US name, it's not run by corporate. 

I am very sorry your son had to deal with that. Maybe go back tomorrow for him? She had no reason to treat you like that! Even if she was busy... but had you noticed they were packed you could have maybe come back at another time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Nursing at keyboard.. Please excuse my typos Pictures, Images and Photos

mindiemoore
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:33 PM

I would be calling district and then if they don't do anything I would call the main offices. It doesn't matter what day the birthday falls on if they advertise it this way then they need to do it this way. It only takes 5 frieking seconds to announce a birthday and pull out a cart, and I am sure you would have waited a minute or two if they needed you to. Plus, it's not like the employees come out of anywhere special, you said if they see the kid they high five them. So no she just sounds pissed she had to work on a holiday.

I am sorry that happened but Happy Birthday to your little guy!

MommyMerry7
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:34 PM

That sucks!!!! 

LOVEmyBOYS17727
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:34 PM

I had my 8 month old with me and my 7 year old...I try to set a good example and be "polite" PLUS she wasn't even paying attention to us long enough for me to say something.  My husband told me to just "let it go" so I did.

It didn't ruin my son's birthday...he still got a bunch of toys...we went out for a nice dinner.  I'm just really disappointed that they aren't consistent with the way they do things.  Pretty messed up. 

Quoting Bekah062205:

did you call corporate and complain about this girl and how rude she was not only to you but to your son as well???i dont think i would have been so nice to that lady...and im not the confrontational type

MNLETLE
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:35 PM

This....this for sure. That's crap. I hope your child wasn't too upset. I'm really sorry that happened. Happy Birthday to him!

Quoting wickedfiress:

Even the manager has a boss. That is who I would have been speaking too.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

imamombygrace
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Wow! What a bitty.  How she could treat a child like that is beyond me.  Birthdays are big when your little...exciting and magical.  Sorry your son had such a bad time at Toys R us.  I would still have took down her name and went over her head to complain.

Here they just give you a crown, balloon, and announce your name over the loud speaker.  DD does get a card in the mail with a 3.00 coupon...Geoffrey also calls.  This year there must have been a glitch and that dang giraffe harassed us ALL day!!  It just kept calling..of course DD was excited the first 5 times..after that when I would say.."Doots phone for you"..she would say "I'm busy"...lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)