Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Might be adopting! *edited with a question*

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:55 PM
  • 30 Replies

I'm a big dog lover, but we weren't looking for a doggy until Christmas (was going to be my Christmas present from hubby)... but I always look at PetFinder. It's my hobby, I guess. lol Well, tonight, I ran across this old guy named Mac and fell in complete love. Here's his picture.

I think he's beautiful. He's ten years old and been tied to a tree for his entire life. He's been neglected, has heartworms and is hypothyroidic. I read his story, knew that he would have such a terrible time finding a forever home and talked to hubs who immediately said, "Let's take him." That's a huge thing. He's not a big-dog kinda guy. They're slobbery and have big poops. lol He's more of a cat person, so even little dogs are a stretch. But this guy just melted our hearts. How could you NOT love a face like that?

*EDIT* The rescue requires a home visit. What are some things we should be sure of before the home visit happens? What do they look for? Our yard isn't fenced in, but we'd never let him outside without a leash... is that good enough or will we need to invest in a fenced in yard?

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AshGabKaiser
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Congratulations !! He deserves lots and lots of love and a wonderful Mommy like you !!

lyranightshade
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Aww! Thank you! We're hoping to spoil him rotten to make up for all the bad years. Treats on demand, belly rubs the second we're home from work, and lots of snuggling in front of the t.v. Nothing strenuous for our old-timer.

Quoting AshGabKaiser:

Congratulations !! He deserves lots and lots of love and a wonderful Mommy like you !!

jothra
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Poor baby, glad you guys are taking him!

samthecat001
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:59 PM

be careful.  if he's been tied to a tree and unloved all his life then he may not be SAFE.

i am soooooo glad you are willing to take in the under-dog though.  yay!  and i am soooo glad you are looking at petfinder.com and NOT breeders/pet stores.  there is also a site called pets911.com and adoptapet.com.  there are more.
good luck!!!!!!

oh and my dogs name is Mac too. :) Big Mac.

The book of the bible "Revelation" is really what will happen
should we anger Chuck Norris.

MissAndrea125

Awww!! I wish I had a big yard with a fence so I could adopt/foster doggies. That is really cool of you to adopt that poor doggie. He'll live out his days being SOOO happy, that is so rewarding :)

ElijahsMommy58

Thanks so much for adopting! Expecially a dog like him that has special needs.

you rock

lyranightshade
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 12:02 AM

Not to worry. We've requested a meeting with Mac so we could get to know him. We've got a small son, so his safety is always first. As long as he can play nice, we'd be honored to have him. We're always on the lookout for dogs in need and have fostered before.. but I get so attached. It hurts too bad to give them up, even though I know that they're happy.

Quoting samthecat001:

be careful.  if he's been tied to a tree and unloved all his life then he may not be SAFE.

i am soooooo glad you are willing to take in the under-dog though.  yay!  and i am soooo glad you are looking at petfinder.com and NOT breeders/pet stores.  there is also a site called pets911.com and adoptapet.com.  there are more.
good luck!!!!!!

oh and my dogs name is Mac too. :) Big Mac.

lyranightshade
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 12:05 AM

Why go to a breeder when mutts make just as awesome pets, have less health problems and usually live longer? I think we should ALL adopt! I'd love to be able to get enough people together in my area to raise awareness. I live in KY and there are no domesticated animal protection laws. NONE!

Quoting ElijahsMommy58:

Thanks so much for adopting! Expecially a dog like him that has special needs.

you rock

Pna1Dra6on
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 12:05 AM

good luck with everything every abused/neglected aniimal deserves a 2nd chance.

"It's not about counting the days, rather making the days count"

click for my eyeshadow looks

jaxTheMom
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 12:08 AM

oh wow.  What a wonderful time you would have with him!  You might have some problems with socialization or nerves, or he might just climb into your kid's lap and fall asleep - try to get him for visits or visit him to ensure he's ok with all of you.

he's beautiful and looks like a snuggler to me.

yeah, big dogs, big poops - but the big ones always turn out to be the couch potato.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)