Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Pediasure to a 1 year old?

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 1:29 AM
  • 13 Replies

Okay so my dd has her good eating days and bad ones.  Some days all she will eat is goldfish crackers, and maybe a few bites of dinner.  Other days (like today) she is a better eater, she had a jar of yogurt for breakfast, half a banana for a snack, cheese and some of those Gerber Graduate carrots for lunch and some  but not all of her dinner which was one of those Gerber meals, pasta noodles with tiny meatballs and corn but she didnt' eat any corn (she refused to eat by the time I offered it to her). 

Okay so its not that she is a picky eater, she just refuses to eat!  She will scream and shake her heat and swat your hands with her hands.  Or if you put it on her tray for her to eat she will pick it up and throw it on the floor.  I just want to make sure she is getting enough nutrients throughout the day on the days where she won't eat enough food, or enough food with nutritional value. 

Has anyone given a 1 year old Pediasure?  I wouldn't want to give her a whole bottle maybe half on her "bad" days.  She is about 13 months old (almost).  Or does anyone have any ideas? 

I can sometimes sneak bites in if I distract her or if she is watching Blues Clues but only a few bites....

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 1:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pna1Dra6on
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 1:31 AM

ask your doc to see what he suggests for vitamins.  My daughter has the option of taking a trivitamin with fluoride thats liquid form.

"It's not about counting the days, rather making the days count"

click for my eyeshadow looks

Bennett121
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 1:34 AM

My son has been on pediasure since he was 12 months. He has an allergy to milk so pediasure is a good alternative. It also has a lot of vitamins and stuff that are good for him. I generally give mine only one a day and it is right before bed. This way it does not interfere with his appetite during the day. He is not 17 months and he still gets one a day.

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Sep. 8, 2009 at 1:35 AM

my son would not take milk for the longest time and still will not eat veggies.  He ate corn for the first time today.  For a while (he was your daughter's age) I would give him one bottle of pediasure a day I would just put it in the sippy for him.  He loved it and it did the job until I could finally get milk into him.  Serve it cold.  Its yucky at room temp.

armygirl16
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2009 at 1:39 AM

Olivia spits out milk if I try to give it to her.  I've offered it to her many many times but with the same results eatch time.  I hate milk too though lol. 

Oh and to the PP I can't do vitimins right now because I'm in school full time and don't have a job but Pediasure I can get (with FS, and you can't get vitimins with FS), or I would just do that :)

Quoting Bennett121:

My son has been on pediasure since he was 12 months. He has an allergy to milk so pediasure is a good alternative. It also has a lot of vitamins and stuff that are good for him. I generally give mine only one a day and it is right before bed. This way it does not interfere with his appetite during the day. He is not 17 months and he still gets one a day.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Mommy4two
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 1:46 AM

My dd drank it from 10 months until she was about 15 months due to failure to thrive... But it's extremely healthy and that's the biggest reason for it to be taken so children get the nutrients they are in need of...

myfoursonsks
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 1:48 AM

I would not give her Pediasure unless it is recommended by your doctor and she is falling off of her growth curve because she is not gaining weight.  With some kids, the pediasure will make them not want to eat at all because it fills them up.  It can work as a replacement instead of a supplement and you don't want that.  Kids naturally eat when they are hungry.  If she isn't hungry, she won't eat.  It is as simple as that.

MyndRayne
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 1:52 AM

i had to give it to both my kids when they were younger. my son was on it from about 10 months til 4 1/2 (2-3 bottles a day), he still is a very picky eater. my daughter was on it from about 12 months til 2 1/2 (1- 1 1/2 bottles a day). it seemed to help out a lot.

Joel Andrew 2-14-01(died ? miscarried 3 1/2 weeks gestation)

Jenny Alexis 8-12-01(died ? miscarried 4 weeks 3 days gestation)

Christopher Joseph born 1-5-04 due 1-31-04

Brianna Angelique born 10-16-06 due 11-10-06

Unnamed 9-28-09(died 7 weeks 5 days, miscarried 10 weeks 3 days).

aretheyallmine
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 1:53 AM

My austyn Rose will be 13 months on August 10, and I give her half pediasure and half whole milk.  She doesn't eat well and hasn't gained any weight since 9 mon. check up.

mmk32085
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 1:53 AM

They have a kinds of fortified things now. Pasta, cereal, fruit juice and spaghetti os have full servings of veggies. Be careful not to let it become a liquid diet. Don't get a false sense of security that she is getting what she needs so it's ok to not let her eat. Try to get her to eat foods rather than letting her just drink it. My daughter is the same way so I know what you are going through. She is almost two and anything is better than nothing.

RypTyd1999
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 1:58 AM

I gave it to my son when he was younger and picky.......until it started giving him diarrhea! Name brand didn't do it, but the off-brand at Walmart did..it was awful! We ended up stopping after that and he hasn't had it again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)