Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

This cant be happening to me...UPDATE Funeral pictures.

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 5:17 PM
  • 3449 Replies
4 moms liked this

After a million deployments...my husband comes home and gets killed on his motorcycle...This is not happening...its not....

I have no words...none...I cant move.

The full accident report is not available yet...they are still investigating...I do know that he was on his motorcycle and him and a GMC Yukon collided head on...it will be a closed casket...they have told me not to go to the accident scene and that I do not want to go to see his body.

I heard them talking in my front yard...after hearing "When we finished collecting his limbs..." I went inside to be sick...I am not involved with talking to any officials now...they are going through family and my husbands team...in this situation I want the sugar coated version.

He has to have a full autopsy...I suspect because they still want to know what was wrong with his heart...his funeral will be Thursday or Friday...he is having a full military funeral and the services will be on Fort Campbell...then he will be buried close to home.

My casualty assistance officer will be here this afternoon with the chaplain to make those plans...

Today his team is concentrating on finding his wedding band...the accident scene stretches for a few hundred yards...and because of the...impact...his ring and phone are somewhere on the scene...

Shane had a 12 mile ruck march that day and graduated from a school...so when we got home at about 3pm we laid our daughter down for a nap and I told him to go ride for a little while because he had a hard day. Well he said that he would just go up to Franklin and back...a 30 minute round trip...and the road he rides on is literally right next to my house...he stays on that same road the whole time.

Well...about 20 minutes after he left I heard sirens...I jumped up and ran to my sun room...I saw 3 sheriffs going down the 2 lane road going about 80. I ran out my front door...while calling Shane and running to my neighbors house...his phone picked up and immediately hung up. I was standing crying at my neighbors front door trying to explain to her that I just knew it was Shane and I had to drive up the road to check...she gave me the best piece of advice. DON'T. If it is him you will never get that image out of your head. I called his best friend and he left immediately (they live about an hour away) My neighbor tried to calm me down by saying so many cars travel on that road every day...and what are the chances...the whole time we are standing out front...an ambulance passed right after the cops...but when it didn't come back in about 20 minutes I knew that was a bad sign.

I went inside and called the police department...I said "There is an accident on Franklin road...just tell me is it a motorcycle?" She said "Yes ma'am...why?" and I said "Is it blue.." and I was freaking out crying and she was trying to figure out what was going on...I kept saying "It's my husband...its my husband isn't it..." She said "I am sure its not honey whats your name?" so I gave her my name...she put me on hold...and she got back on the phone and said "Ma'am...I need you to go in your house okay..whatever you do do not go to the accident scene..." and I said "Why?? Is it my husband??" and all she kept saying was that they could not give that information over the phone...so my fears were confirmed...if it was not my husband they would have told me.

Just as I got off the phone with her I turned to see the coroner van driving down the road...I fell on the ground. My neighbor came and picked me up and brought me inside...this is when I originally wrote this post. I had not been "notified" but I knew.

About 20 minutes later my husbands best friend (who is on his team) and his wife (my good friend) showed up. Gunny was here about 10 minutes...going bat shit crazy and then went to the accident scene...I am sure their training kicked in and he felt like if it was him he had to be there with him. About 20 minutes later his wife looked out my front door and stopped in her tracks (I have glass doors) So I jumped up...I saw Gunny walking up my steps and 2 people standing behind him...they opened my front door and Gunny had tears streaming down his face and just grabbed me...all I kept screaming was "Oh my god...it was him...oh my god.." and I fell to the ground and laid there and cried for a good 20 minutes. Gunny and the chaplain got me to the couch and I pretty much remained there...in a fog...

Gunny called my father in law...he got pissed because he thought it was a joke:(

The coroner finally came and I had to take his personal effects...his wallet...and his jacket ( in pieces...someone is cleaning it for me...it was covered in blood). She suggested that I did not see him (or any other family members) she said we could...but she did not think it was in our best interest.

We have yet to find his wedding ring...they are bringing the whole team and friends tomorrow with metal detectors to search for it again. I need it. They HAVE to find it. They have to. I had to sign the paperwork for the coroner...where I got another heartbreak...NONE of his organs could be donated...I don't want to be graphic but there is a reason they can not find my husbands wedding ring...he was wearing it...but he was riding a motorcycle and hit a Yukon head on and they were both going about 70. Yesterday seems like 5 years ago...but it feels like 10 minutes ago that he was kissing me bye and telling me he loved me...everything is so fucked up...nothing makes sense...

We had about 10 or 15 guys out there searching today...on their hands and knees...inch by inch...with metal detectors...no ring.

The coroner came out to the scene and she thinks its possible the ring shattered on impact because he was wearing gloves with Kevlar knuckles...and he took the first impact to his left hand...

I made all the arrangements today...picked out his casket and everything. His services will be at Memorial Chapel on Fort Campbell. There is a viewing open to the public from 9am to 11 on Friday with the funeral and graveside ceremony immediately following. His Military ceremony will be the following Monday.

The team is taking great care of me...the ladies did all my yard work while the guys were searching  for the ring...I have a lot of support...I go to pick out his plot tomorrow...he will be buried in the Veterans Cemetery West in Hopkinsville, KY.

Thank you for all the support ladies...

by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Sep. 11, 2009 at 5:18 PM

prayingI will keep you in my prayers.

wifemomteacher
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Oh  my gosh. I am so sorry.  I see you on here all the time.  I am just so sorry!!!!!

lovinmyboys...
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Oh, my goodness!!!  You and your family are in my prayers. 

mediumchunkx
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Oh my God, I am so so sorry for your loss.

I will pray for you.

RyansMommie07
by Jessica Lynne on Sep. 11, 2009 at 5:19 PM

im sorryill pray for you momma. im so sorry

AmberDR
by on Sep. 11, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Oh my god. I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't even know what to say. Please let me know if you need someone to talk to.

praying

heathermichelle

I am so sorry. I will keep you and the family in my thoughts and prayers

SunnyJoJo

I'll keep you and your family in my prayers. I really don't even know what to say. I'm so sorry.

K.a.C.87

what happened!?!?!?!?!??!?!??!

A.J.s_mommy
by Ruby Member on Sep. 11, 2009 at 5:19 PM

What...I am really sorry for your loss.  Hugs to you and your little one.  I cant begin to imagine the pain you feel, i just wanted to offer my  condolences.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)