Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

?Boils? during menstrual cycle? May be TMI for some

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2009 at 5:08 PM
  • 12 Replies

I have a very irregular period, I get it every month but it can be anytime during the month. Usually when I get my period it is light and last about 3 days tops. But, every 3-6 months I get a really heavy period that lasts atleast a week. When I get this period I usually get one or two big welts that turn purple and eventually puss and bleed. I usually get them on my stomach or hip but this time I got one starting on my arm! I have been told that it's a boil.

My questions are:

Does this boil thing happen to anyone else? Is it normal?

Any help would be great.

by on Sep. 13, 2009 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jahvarzionmomma
by on Sep. 13, 2009 at 5:12 PM

bump

ErikaM27
by on Sep. 13, 2009 at 5:14 PM

i had them for a month one after another i had no idea why but not since this was 5 yrs ago. if you get them all the time i would get checked,,

Do you want to vent? Join my group!! WTF

caterpilar
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2009 at 5:15 PM

I have never heard of that happening before. I hope you get some answers! GL!

bump 

SuzyQ1619
by on Sep. 13, 2009 at 5:16 PM

I get them like that about 3 times a year but the last time I got one it turned irregularly black and very large. It had turned into Merca and I was hospitalized so they could cut it out. It is normal for a large amount of women to go through this but be careful and whach for any signs of it being different.

Suzanne

caiti
by on Sep. 13, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Where on your arm? Underarm? I have a disease called Hidradenitis Suppurativa, and this sounds like it may be very early stage 1 HS. You should see a dermatologist, ASAP, and do a little research on HS to see if it sounds like what happens to you. Hormones can cause flare ups in the disease, which is why mine became stage III during my pregnancy. I was misdiagnosed for years, which is why it has become so drastic with me. After they drain, do they stay there, like scar tissue, or does it completely go away? Feel free to PM me, I will answer any question you have, and it's totally not TMI to me. Here's a wiki on HS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidradenitis_suppurativa

I don't want to scare you with this, but it can usually be handled with drugs if you catch it early enough, but if you get to where I am, there is no cure. HS affects areas with sebeacous (sp?) sweat glands that become clogged in the hair follicles and turn in to abcesses or boils. I honestly hope you don't have this, because I wouldn't wish it on anyone, the pain and suffering I've gone through with this, but if it is, I hope you can catch it early enough to do something. Please keep me updated, you'll be in my thoughts.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Boy Stole my Heart

chickensmommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2009 at 5:20 PM

I would go to Dr's.  I'm a little suspicious it may be MRSA

Cisri1974
by on Sep. 13, 2009 at 5:27 PM

My father and I both have this happen (him more than me).  Being of Native American descent his answer is that it is poison trying to get out of one's body, hence the boil.  *shrugs*  Nowadays with MRSA popping up so much I would watch them closely to make sure they don't change drastically and/or get them checked when they appear to make sure.  For the record, I usually get them too around the time of my period.  I used to get one in the same place for MONTHS then all of a sudden it stopped coming back.  My OB/GYN also told me to be careful causing them because I have folliculitus (sp?) so I am more susceptible to those types of things where I shave my bikini area.

jendramis
by on Sep. 13, 2009 at 5:37 PM

I agree with others could be mrsa I just took care of a 2 yr old wth mrsa and had to steralize my entire house thank god none of us got it especialy my lil guy with special needs

jennifer mom to austin 10 alexa 7 michael 6 cheyanne 5 and timmy 3 trisomy 10q

jahvarzionmomma
by on Sep. 13, 2009 at 5:47 PM

thanks atleast i know i am not alone. i will definatly watch out for any signs of it being different

Quoting SuzyQ1619:

I get them like that about 3 times a year but the last time I got one it turned irregularly black and very large. It had turned into Merca and I was hospitalized so they could cut it out. It is normal for a large amount of women to go through this but be careful and whach for any signs of it being different.

TeenerBeener75
by on Sep. 15, 2009 at 9:59 AM
I get boils on occasion, esp after I shave my bikini area. The hair folicles get infected, and if staph, which occurs normally on the skin and sometimes in the nose, gets in, it can cause an infection. Do not try and squeeze the boils....that is the worst thing you can do. Put warm compresses on them...when they come to a head, they will either rupture on their own, or if they don't you may need to have a Dr. lance them for you. They are painful, and very inconvenient. I understand totally!! Just be careful, and don't think that you can treat it on your own. Most people like to squeeze and try to get rid of the pressure, which is where the pain comes from. Whatever you do, don't stick a needle or anything in it, b/c it could contaminate the white blood cells that are trying to clean up whatever type of infection it is. Like another poster mentioned, it is the body's way of trying to get rid of an infection...the pus is the white blood cells, and it swells up b/c it is producing more and more white blood cells to eat up the infection. I hope all goes well, but if it gets worse, or gets more painful, go see a dermatologist, or just go to urgent care and let them know your concerns. You may also want to try to get on some sort of Birth Control Pill, to try and regulate your period. Best Wishes...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)