Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Girls Going Without Underwear???

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 8:39 PM
  • 46 Replies

Poll

Question: When should I teach my girls about not wearing underwear?

Options:

From the beginning, during potty training. Make it a way of life from the start.

Once they're past potty training and control of their bodily functions is well established. Early childhood.

Late childhood/early teen years...let them decide for themselves.

Other. Please explain.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 127

View Results

So, I have a kind of odd question to ask everyone...

I took the Bradley Method childbirth classes and along with the prenatal exercises and good nutrition, one of the things mentioned to help prepare for labor and delivery and keep things in good overall condition "down there" was going without underwear. Ideally one would want to wear something loose fitting to allow air to get to the area and keep things well ventilated. Dr. Bradley did studies on all kinds of women and one particular study involved women at nudist colonies and how they handled birth. Because their skin was exposed to air and sunlight, it was more elastic in the vaginal area and they tore less. It was in much better condition for delivery. I went without underwear for pretty much my whole pregnancy and didn't tear at all.

Anyway, getting to my point...Dr. Bradley suggested going without underwear all the time, not just during pregnancy. I like to wear long skirts, so I'll pretty much go without them all the time at home. I still wear them when I go out of the house at all though. I would like to teach my daughters how to care for their bodies as best as possible and one of the ways I think they can do that is by going without underwear most of the time.

I'm unsure of when I want to have them start doing that though. At the moment I only have one child, a daughter born about 2 1/2 months ago. I don't know if I should start teaching her about the underwear thing when I potty train her...just teach her from the get-go that it's good to go without underwear and get her some bloomers or something so she can stay covered when she's playing and such (I'll have my girls wearing only dresses by the way) or if I should just have her start out with underwear until she's older and introduce the concept once she's fully potty trained for some time (say age 5). Or...the other route I'm considering is telling my daughters about all this at about 13 or so and letting them decide themselves.

So basically I'm just looking for input and what you all think of this. I know it sounds a bit radical and "out there", but I don't care who thinks it's weird...it's good for general health and I'll be raising my daughters to be wives and mothers, so I want them to know how to properly care for their bodies for both their husbands and childbirth. Not to mention the fact that keeping everything ventilated cuts down on the chance for yeast infections, UTI's, odors, and other such issues.

by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TexasWife
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 8:43 PM

I'm not really sure. I didn't know I was doin something good. lol. I have been going without for a while mainly because I my elastic doesn't fit well over the preggy belly. That and I don't have very many pairs of undies so I save them for skirts and going out with people. lol. there is my dirty secret.

devasmom
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 8:43 PM

I say, let them decide for themselves.

Also, at some point they will need underwear, like when they start menstruating, unless you will allow them to wear a tampon in their early teens. ???

of 6of 3 beautiful girls

Suzzie865
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 8:44 PM

That is a touch subject.  Every parent is different on that.  I would say they have to wear underwear until they are in their teens at least.

Click the tree below! Let's make sure not one of the CM kids go without a Christmas.

Not.So.Virginal
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 8:46 PM

i would wait until they were older... like maybe high school. Although, that could get awkward during getting changed in the locker rooms....

Maybe let them know about it once they are out of school? honestly i never knew it was a good thing... i have tons of underwear, but im currently not wearign it... yay for being healthy!

I am walking for Diabetes on Sept. 26, 2009. If you would like to sponsor me, please click the link below. Donations benefit Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International.

Click here to donate! Thank you ladies!

zgirls009
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Good hygiene habbits, good cotton panties and regular showers ALSO help keep things healthy down there.

If you don't wear underwear and wear pants, you have to wash them after each wear. 

I have to wonder what you did being pregnant and having occasional leaking -- did you let it run down your leg?  When I was pregnant was the ONLY time I wore underwear in the last few years (and now that I'm still not back to normal)

Je_Jette_Poo
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 8:49 PM

I'd let them learn about it themselves.

JenniferZiemba
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 8:50 PM

I would wait until they are older.  Young girls in dresses tend to sit open legged from time to time and when they are playing their dresses and skirts go up easily.  You don't want your daughther showing off the goods to all the children she playing with.  Wait until they are old enough to know how to act like a lady in a dress. 

LauraKW
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 8:52 PM

You might want to keep in mind that schools may require underwear if there will be any sort of locker room activity...

prego7386
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 8:55 PM

i only said late childhood early teens because that is when they are more conscious of their body movements...i can tell you how many times i have seen lil girls in skirts sitting like boys! most aren't taught how to sit and be mindful of it until they are older so i would suggest waiting until they are about 12 or so

StephanieC86
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 8:55 PM

I would say til they are a little older, cause when I was younger i always had a hard time in skirts always keeping my legs closed tight... i just couldn't do it... i tried, my mother had me wearing them all the time, and i just was on the move to much to worry about being 'lady like' JMO... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN