Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do other's parenting styles affect your friendships?

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2009 at 12:42 PM
  • 34 Replies

Poll

Question: Has a friend's parenting style affected your friendship?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 74

View Results

Like if you were against CIO and they were for it, would you still be friends with them? Or if they are on strict schedules and you just go with the flow? How about vaxing and non vaxing? Would you still let them watch your kids? What are your experiences with this- have any of your friendships suffered because of this?

I DO NOT want to turn this into a bashing post, everybodys got their own opinion. Just curious as to how it would affect your friendships.

I am a breastfeeding, pro-choice, vaccinating, Turbo Jamming,
disposable diaper using, cio sometimes, cat loving, dieting, married
and love my husband
Army wife and momwww.myspace.com/serioussifl  Check out my music!

by on Sep. 22, 2009 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ilovetolaugh
by on Sep. 22, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Yep, one of my friends since sophomore year in high school! I cannot stand the way she disciplines her kids. Like she screams things like I'm gonna beat your effin ass if you do that again, or get the f*ck over here! One time she drug her kid by his feet to the bathroom at my house because he was potty training and he said he didnt need to go but she was sure he did. There is so much more, but she is really mean to them. I know she would never talk to my kid like that but still, its just mean. We alternate the days we take our kids to school b/c our girls are in the same preschool class, well I give mine hugs and kisses before she gets in their car and she (my friend) laughs at me and says "see thats the difference btwn you and me! I dont have time for that stuff! I'm in a hurry!" I was like sorry, I will always make time for hugs and kisses. But I guess shes the momma!

*edit* we do not hang out like we used to, I anly see her now when Im picking up her kid. I just get uncomfortable around her. Sad, but true

in loveblowing bubblesice cream

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

mamaleah17
by on Sep. 22, 2009 at 12:56 PM

The things you mentioned wouldn't bother me. It becomes a problem to me when a parent is always pawning their children to party or not bathing them properly. Stuff like that.... 

Melo2828
by on Sep. 22, 2009 at 1:02 PM

it would not affect my friendship with them,  I have my way to parents my kids they have there's. Actuallywe can help each other out, by giving helpful advice. maybe something they do works better then what your doing.

It all about respecting each other choices and not making the other person feel like there way is wrong. 

jrp0606
by on Sep. 22, 2009 at 1:08 PM

I think the decisions you mentioned don't affect my friendships however there are other parenting issues that have.

We had one friend who's son was always hitting, biting and being destructive - she refused to discipline him because he was too young at 2 and shouldn't be stifled.  I occasionally chat with her on facebook but we don't go on playdates anymore.  Its not fair to my son for his toyes to be destroyed and to have another child hitting him - while the childs mother sits back and laughs. so yes her parenting did affect our friendship.  even if she couldn't stop it completely at least acknowledging that this behaviour is acceptable and having him apologize would  have been better than just saying "thats boyes for you"

working mom, airforce wife, EH, ERFing, EBF, republican voting, CIO, wine drinking, Child Passanger Safety Tech, Texan, mommy to Austin.

gardenchic
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2009 at 1:09 PM

YEs, oh yes.....

lovinglifeKX
by on Sep. 22, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Unless something directly affects my family, you can do what you want with your kids with the exception of abuse. I did have a friend that just let her son be a brute & if he was beating up on my kids she never said a word.  I finally had enough & quit talking to her.  I won't be friends with someone at the expense of my child.   

Elaine, proud wife to Ru & proud momma to Kaiden & Xander!

2babybats

Yes it has. Even though I don't personally care what your parenting style is (we all do what is best for our OWN children), so many people do and I've had to just start ignoring some women because they were so nasty to me. I don't particularly like to hear that I put "heroin" into my baby by using epidural during labor and I couldn't have bonded with my child because of my unnatural labor...especially from someone who is still pregnant and has yet to give birth themselves.

P.S. this girl who said this to me ended up BEGGING for the epidural!

fallnangel93

No. I am a non vaxing, homeschooling, non cio, sahm,  and most of my friends arent! lol. We all get along the same as we did before we had kids (of course, we spend less time with each other, but thats because we have kids and husbands and some have jobs now! lol) I think we all learn things from each other, and we respect the way each other raises their own kids.

eddysmommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2009 at 1:14 PM

yeah it kinda affects my friendships. like my friend smokes and curses around her DD. she has never watched my son. i have watched her DD but i refuse to let me son around that with out me there. when she comes over she knows there is no smoking or cursing in my house or around my son or me.

my DH stopped talking to one of his friends because he does not want our son around him and his kids. he is the same way my friend is and he also teaches his son to fight with other kids and be mean. 

pregnancy

WildKat
by on Sep. 22, 2009 at 1:15 PM

With those specific issues you mentioned, it wouldn't affect me.  But being around parents who don't even reprimand their kids when they're misbehaving has definitely affected friendships for me. 

Peace,

Kat

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)