Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

can the dryer kill sicky germs???

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2009 at 2:04 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hubby has a bad head cold so when he went to work this morning I tossed his pillows, cases and all, into the dryer and Im about to do the same with our comforter. I put them in for 20 minutes on high heat will that help kill the germs. I am a serious germ afob (sp) when someone is sick, even myself!

Photobucket

Due with #2 April 2010
pregnancy calendar
Gender Prediction
by on Sep. 22, 2009 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
RaynesMommy07
by on Sep. 22, 2009 at 2:06 PM

We're all sick in my house.  When we get sick I disinfect everyday.  I spray lysol on our pillows & throw them in the dryer.  Do I know if it truly helps or not, no, but in my mind it does lol.  I definitely dnt think it can hurt. 

mommyof2girls00
by on Sep. 22, 2009 at 2:07 PM

I  believe it can kill some but not all. Try washing the clothes with clorox or something antibacteria

Learn from yesterday.. Live for today.. Hope for tomorrow...

Proud mother of Debbie listening to tunes & Ashley toddler girl

ceciliam
by on Sep. 22, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Hhmmm...not sure. I have a washer and dryer that has a sanitary feature, which I believe is meant to kill germs.

BABY BANANAS

mami2five
by on Sep. 22, 2009 at 2:13 PM

The pillows I would spray with a Lysol disenfectant, and then put on high heat in the dryer for awhile. Pillow cases, sheets, blankets, etc I would wash in the hot/cold cycle, and then dry on high heat. All of those things combined should kill everything. Also, wiping down door knobs, light switches, toilets, sink faucets, remotes, etc with bleach water will help disenfect the home. There are many viruses that household cleaning agents do not kill, bleach is one of the only products that kills all (most) viruses. HTH!

Just_Bethy
by on Sep. 22, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Be cafeful when spraying chemicals on to things and throwing them in the dryer...The high heat can cause them to catch fire !!..I would do one or the other but not both...

Drillers Wife, Toughest Job In The Oil Field.

TheMillerFamily
by on Sep. 22, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Yeah I have a gas dryer so spraying them with anything is out of the question but I just left everything in there till it was to hot to even handle so that should kill the majority of the germs if not all. I know high heat can work wonders sometimes! Im currently going through the house with bleach water now so thank you to everyone who answered!!

Quoting Just_Bethy:

Be cafeful when spraying chemicals on to things and throwing them in the dryer...The high heat can cause them to catch fire !!..I would do one or the other but not both...

Photobucket

Due with #2 April 2010
pregnancy calendar
Gender Prediction
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)