Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How am I supposed to get experience if no one will hire me?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2009 at 8:32 PM
  • 23 Replies

I have put in resume after resume and application after application to try to find a job which I really need because of some unexpected bills that drained our savings and put us in debt!! I call some of the people that never get in touch with me to see if I was considered for the job and they say "Since you don't have much (or any) experience in the field you are applying for, we decided to go with someone else". Ok, I get that they want someone who can jump in and know exactly what they are doing...I would too! But come on!! Of course I don't have experience since no one will hire me for the job!! The people who have experience at one point in time didn't have experience yet someone took a chance on them! AAAGGGHHHH!!! Ok I just had to rant because I am sooo frustrated with everything!

by on Sep. 23, 2009 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Not.So.Virginal
by on Sep. 23, 2009 at 8:33 PM

hunny, i hate to say it, but you may want to get a job for a little bit at mcdonalds or something

im not sure what type of resume that you are submitting.... there are different forms, and some are based on skills rather than actual jobs you had... and that is better suited to somebody in your position. I would google it and see if you can find a skills-based resume

I am walking for Diabetes on Sept. 26, 2009. If you would like to sponsor me, please click the link below. Donations benefit Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International.

Click here to donate! Thank you ladies!

AmberDR

That's the story of my life...

I'm 27 with a college degree that I've had for 6yrs. I only have restaurant experience. It totally sucks.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2009 at 8:33 PM

Definite Catch 22...I've been there.  It will work itself out. Good Luck.

skeeterbug1224

I feel ya, I am in the same boat. Missed out on a couple different jobs, because they would go after someone with more experience. Not sure what else to do, if no one will give you the chance to get experience. Good luck momma!

Not.So.Virginal
by on Sep. 23, 2009 at 8:35 PM

my husband said to go to a temp agency....

that is how he started his job (he started on the assembly line building computers, and 5 years later he is one of the head programmers)

he said you may not start at the position you want, but you can start at the bottom and work your way up to the job you want.

I am walking for Diabetes on Sept. 26, 2009. If you would like to sponsor me, please click the link below. Donations benefit Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International.

Click here to donate! Thank you ladies!

Lovegaia78
by on Sep. 23, 2009 at 8:36 PM

I also have a college degree. I have childcare and nannying experience. Well now that i have my own child, no one will hire me. Sooo glad I spend thousands of dollars on that degree!

Quoting AmberDR:

That's the story of my life...

I'm 27 with a college degree that I've had for 6yrs. I only have restaurant experience. It totally sucks.

athenax3
by on Sep. 23, 2009 at 8:37 PM

It's one of lifes vicious cycles- you can't have the job because you have no experience, you can't get credit without a credit history- and sadly when you do finally get some experience people will then actually tell you that you are "over qualified" if you can believe it.

My advice is to take ANY job under the sun while still submitting your resumes. Eventually someone will give you a shot. Also, sometimes a company likes to hire a less experienced applicant because they can train them fresh to thier own way of doing things and the applicant hasn't picked up any bad habits from previous employers- plus, they can pay you less.

Good luck, I've been there- it'll work itself out eventually, it's just uber frustrating and annoying right now.

ladyvamp5489

I have to agree!  A temp agency will get you the experience.

Quoting Not.So.Virginal:

that is how he started his job (he started on the assembly line building computers, and 5 years later he is one of the head programmers)

he said you may not start at the position you want, but you can start at the bottom and work your way up to the job you want.

Viperkaylin

Well there is the other frustrating thing!! I have applied literally everywhere that I can think of...all the fast food restaurants I can think of around here, target, walmart, kmart...everything!!

As for the resume, I have a few different resumes that are all catered to certain things..one is for the medical office (I have an associates in Medical office management and a background in medicine), one is for general office (skills that revolve around front desks stuff such as working at Days Inn behind the front desk, but I don't have actual office experience), and another more general one.

Quoting Not.So.Virginal:

hunny, i hate to say it, but you may want to get a job for a little bit at mcdonalds or something

im not sure what type of resume that you are submitting.... there are different forms, and some are based on skills rather than actual jobs you had... and that is better suited to somebody in your position. I would google it and see if you can find a skills-based resume

Viperkaylin
by on Sep. 23, 2009 at 8:41 PM

I tried a temp agency about 6 months ago and never got called for a job. I tried calling them at least once a week to see if anything has come up and once again...the companies that need temp people took the person who has experience over me. Plus now that I am pregnant, I feel like even if I get an interview they will say no thank you because they don't want to deal with someone who will need leave for a few weeks in the next 6 months!

Thanks to all of you who have nice things to say to try to get me out of my funk and to those who are giving suggestions!

Quoting Not.So.Virginal:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN