Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Can cats with no claws survive outside?

Posted by   + Show Post

Can cats survive outside if they have no claws whats so ever?  I don't really want to get rid of my cat but really have no choice.  I did put him on Free Cycle and so far no one has responded.  He won't stop peeing on our rugs and if I leave the baby's room open he will pee on that carpet.  Baby isn't here yet but I don't want to deal with this cat peeing on my baby's floor b/c it can't be closed all the time then.  He's fixed and has no claws and he's been to the Dr. several times for his nasty habit.  Nothing I can do about it.  He's stuck in his ways. 

FYI: I do love my cat and I'm asking b/c I am concerned about his safety.  He's still in the house with me and will be till I can figure out what's the best option for him.  I'm hoping someone will give him a home because that's what I truly want for him.

by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:10 AM
Replies (11-20):
Mamagirlz
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:17 AM

The vet didn't say anything against it.  Actually encouraged it.  I personally only wanted the front claws but DH insisted all b/c he was tearing up our couches.  I've tried everything but he's been doing this for 2 years and he's just stubborn like a cat.

Quoting meagansmama1009:

no they cant survive. Im surprised your vet didnt give you a big warning when you had him declawed. Without claws they cant protect themselves from other animals, other aggressive cats, or climb trees (and other things cats climb to get away). Have you tried the No pee spray? You spray it where you dont want them going at and it supposedly works. Hope you find your cat a home! 

Nzumbe
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Have you tried Craigslist?

Michelletheresa
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Outside cats who have been declawed are defenseless from dogs and other predators, and they are unable to hunt.  To put it outside would be a death sentence.  Better to taker it to a shelter, even if they do put it down, it would be better that being ripped to shreds by a dog or starving to death because it can't hunt and hold prey with it's paws. 

lcappytan05
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:18 AM

They can survive but it is a slim chance.

When I was younger, we had a cat (we got him and his sister from a friend...they only had their back claws, not their front ones)...anyways, this cat did not like to be in the house at all times...but he would stay in our yard.

He would catch birds and rabbits and bring them to our porch (as a gift for us)...he had no front claws but that damn cat was like a dog or something...he was definitely something out of the ordinary....lol.

I would suggest taking the cat to a shelter....there isn't a good chance he would survive on his own.....

Pregnancy ticker its a boy

Need to get out those frustrations? Love the "vent of the day" posts? Join my group! click here

Mamagirlz
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Quoting mitch576:

Quoting canthaveboys1:

If they did survive it would be a miracle. 

they survive with no problem at all. i had two declawed cats who had no problems going out and hunting and fighting.  and...they came here declawed.

anyway.... DO NOT DO THAT TO THE CAT! bring it to the shelter so it has a shot at being rehomed... just taking a domestic animal and throwing it away like that is morally repugnant!  you don't take an animal unless you are prepared to deal with situations like this. don't want the cat? fine... be responsible and bring it to the shelter

I would take it to he shelter but if no one takes him they will put him to sleep so I don't want that for him.  I wasn't just going to just throw him out.  Gradually do it and you think I haven't taken good care of him.  I've put up with him for 2 years.  He's still here and not outside.

Mamagirlz
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:22 AM

never used craiglist.  right now he's on free cycle for my town.  hopefully someone will respond.  otherwise i'm going to have to put up with him till i find a home.

Quoting Nzumbe:

Have you tried Craigslist?

prego7386
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:23 AM

he can still smell his pee..put his litter box in the area he is peeing and get some of the stuff from the vet or pet store that eliminates the odor to not just US but THEM. no a cat cannot survive outside declawed..their natural defense mechanisim is climb and they cant climb so they would be left on the ground to defend themselves without claws...they cannot catch prey either to feed themselves...basically a cat with no claws is helpless and a reason why i suggest the cat claw COVERS instead of taken the tips of there fingers basically off

jitterbuug48
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Quoting ready_for2:

take him to a non-euthanizing shelter. DO NOT PUT A DEFENSELESS CAT OUTSIDE TO FEND FOR ITSELF!!! that is CRUEL. cats shouldnt be declawed anyway, it is very painful and how would you like if someone ripped all of your nails out

it's more like having your all your fingers cut off at the first knuckle, so I do agree that it is a very painful and unnecessary procedure, BUT she isn't asking how we feel about getting her cat declawed....it's already been done, and we don't even know that she is the one that made that decisions....I have a cat that was declawed before I rescued him.......anyway OP they can but like others said it's not in his best interest to be left outside with little to no defense.  You could try having the cat be an indoor outdoor cat. Go out to potty and play and come in to eat and get loves. If that doesn't work you may need to place kitty in a shelter. Good luck to you, in your decision!

This is what worked to breack our cat from peeing on my Hubby's uniforms (Air Force) for some reason he just LOVED to pee on them when we kept him in ALL the time. Once we started letting him go outside for part of the day he stopped!

-Cat

Mamagirlz
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:24 AM

I guess no one really read my post.  I put him on Free Cycle.  I'm waiting on that for someone to respond.  I don't want to take him to the shelter.  I'm just asking from someone experience or knowledge about if he would survive outside.  I'm concerned for him so that's why I'm asking.  I wouldn't just toss him out.  I love him too much to do that to him.  Gesh!

Quoting Mackenzi:

If you put the cat outside, it will not be able to defend itself with no claws. Have you tried to give it to a good home or sell it? You may want to try that before giving the cat to a shelter.

mitch576
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:25 AM

research "no kill shelters" in your area...the a.s.p.c.a. usually has them in every state.

Quoting Mamagirlz:

Quoting mitch576:

Quoting canthaveboys1:

If they did survive it would be a miracle. 

they survive with no problem at all. i had two declawed cats who had no problems going out and hunting and fighting.  and...they came here declawed.

anyway.... DO NOT DO THAT TO THE CAT! bring it to the shelter so it has a shot at being rehomed... just taking a domestic animal and throwing it away like that is morally repugnant!  you don't take an animal unless you are prepared to deal with situations like this. don't want the cat? fine... be responsible and bring it to the shelter

I would take it to he shelter but if no one takes him they will put him to sleep so I don't want that for him.  I wasn't just going to just throw him out.  Gradually do it and you think I haven't taken good care of him.  I've put up with him for 2 years.  He's still here and not outside.

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN