Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Can cats with no claws survive outside?

Posted by   + Show Post

Can cats survive outside if they have no claws whats so ever?  I don't really want to get rid of my cat but really have no choice.  I did put him on Free Cycle and so far no one has responded.  He won't stop peeing on our rugs and if I leave the baby's room open he will pee on that carpet.  Baby isn't here yet but I don't want to deal with this cat peeing on my baby's floor b/c it can't be closed all the time then.  He's fixed and has no claws and he's been to the Dr. several times for his nasty habit.  Nothing I can do about it.  He's stuck in his ways. 

FYI: I do love my cat and I'm asking b/c I am concerned about his safety.  He's still in the house with me and will be till I can figure out what's the best option for him.  I'm hoping someone will give him a home because that's what I truly want for him.

by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:10 AM
Replies (21-30):
Not.So.Virginal
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:27 AM

i dunno about the ASPCA not killing animals..... i went by our's one night and there was a ton of smoke coming from it..... what else would they be burning?

Quoting mitch576:

research "no kill shelters" in your area...the a.s.p.c.a. usually has them in every state.

Quoting Mamagirlz:

Quoting mitch576:

Quoting canthaveboys1:

If they did survive it would be a miracle. 

they survive with no problem at all. i had two declawed cats who had no problems going out and hunting and fighting.  and...they came here declawed.

anyway.... DO NOT DO THAT TO THE CAT! bring it to the shelter so it has a shot at being rehomed... just taking a domestic animal and throwing it away like that is morally repugnant!  you don't take an animal unless you are prepared to deal with situations like this. don't want the cat? fine... be responsible and bring it to the shelter

I would take it to he shelter but if no one takes him they will put him to sleep so I don't want that for him.  I wasn't just going to just throw him out.  Gradually do it and you think I haven't taken good care of him.  I've put up with him for 2 years.  He's still here and not outside.

I am walking for Diabetes on Sept. 26, 2009. If you would like to sponsor me, please click the link below. Donations benefit Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International.

Click here to donate! Thank you ladies!

jitterbuug48
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Animals that died of natural causes...feces....

Quoting Not.So.Virginal:

i dunno about the ASPCA not killing animals..... i went by our's one night and there was a ton of smoke coming from it..... what else would they be burning?

Quoting mitch576:

research "no kill shelters" in your area...the a.s.p.c.a. usually has them in every state.

Quoting Mamagirlz:

Quoting mitch576:

Quoting canthaveboys1:

If they did survive it would be a miracle. 

they survive with no problem at all. i had two declawed cats who had no problems going out and hunting and fighting.  and...they came here declawed.

anyway.... DO NOT DO THAT TO THE CAT! bring it to the shelter so it has a shot at being rehomed... just taking a domestic animal and throwing it away like that is morally repugnant!  you don't take an animal unless you are prepared to deal with situations like this. don't want the cat? fine... be responsible and bring it to the shelter

I would take it to he shelter but if no one takes him they will put him to sleep so I don't want that for him.  I wasn't just going to just throw him out.  Gradually do it and you think I haven't taken good care of him.  I've put up with him for 2 years.  He's still here and not outside.

-Cat

mommytohuddy
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Quoting ready_for2:

take him to a non-euthanizing shelter. DO NOT PUT A DEFENSELESS CAT OUTSIDE TO FEND FOR ITSELF!!! that is CRUEL. cats shouldnt be declawed anyway, it is very painful and how would you like if someone ripped all of your nails out

mcsmom1
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Quoting ready_for2:

take him to a non-euthanizing shelter. DO NOT PUT A DEFENSELESS CAT OUTSIDE TO FEND FOR ITSELF!!! that is CRUEL. cats shouldnt be declawed anyway, it is very painful and how would you like if someone ripped all of your nails out

This.  And I've never heard of a cat just pissing on the floor.  There has to be a reason.  Poor cat.

Mackenzi
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Quoting Mamagirlz:

I guess no one really read my post.  I put him on Free Cycle.  I'm waiting on that for someone to respond.  I don't want to take him to the shelter.  I'm just asking from someone experience or knowledge about if he would survive outside.  I'm concerned for him so that's why I'm asking.  I wouldn't just toss him out.  I love him too much to do that to him.  Gesh!

Quoting Mackenzi:

If you put the cat outside, it will not be able to defend itself with no claws. Have you tried to give it to a good home or sell it? You may want to try that before giving the cat to a shelter.

sorry i missed that part of your post....

My mom put her cat outside for the same reason...she would go into the litter box but stand the wrong way and pee outside the box. and she kept pooping in the plants. 2 days after she put her outside we never saw her again.

lcappytan05
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:34 AM

not necessarily.

male cats sometimes spray to mark their territory. We had a male cat that used to do that...

OP: try getting an enzymatic cleaner for now (i know PPs have suggested "no pee" spray or w/e...but any cleaner that is an enzymatic cleaner--you will have to read the bottle-- will take out the urine smell for him)

Quoting mcsmom1:

Quoting ready_for2:

This.  And I've never heard of a cat just pissing on the floor.  There has to be a reason.  Poor cat.

Pregnancy ticker its a boy

Need to get out those frustrations? Love the "vent of the day" posts? Join my group! click here

faeryfrog
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:35 AM

I also have a declawed male cat who pee's everywhere.

We've bought books, changed everything, gave him as much affection as anyone can give, his litter is cleaned every day, and bought him another and put it in a different side of the room and he still pee's. It was always contained in his bathroom (he has his OWN bathroom, as noone else wants to go in it)

We tried cleaning it with bleach, which is a very big no no as they hate the smell and start marking to take it out.

and he poops on the sink counter right above his litter box (with zero pee's or poops in it!!)

The last straw is we bought a new rug for the living room, and had the baby's blanket on it for her to play, we left for a few minutes and he pee'd all over her blanket, which soaked to the new carpet, and the carpet below.

I'm a neatfreak and now I'm done. It's my SO's cat and I feel very bad, but I said he has to go, I will not live with him anymore. So thanksgiving we're taking him to my inlaws, and I can't wait!

I love him, he's a beautiful cat, but I'll love him from afar!

(also, he's siamese, which have very weird habits. He is obsessed with eating paper, and has begun to get a taste for plastic. His vet also has no clue why he does this except saying he's an odd one...ya think?

Mamagirlz
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:39 AM

doubt it would work b/c the rugs he pees on i can wash.  so they are clean with no cat pee smell in them but he still likes them.  we use to have carpet through our whole house and we had to get rid of it all.  now we have hard wood floors but our rooms have carpet in them.  so far he hasn't messed with my room or my girls room.  atleast not yet.  its a habit that he has.

Quoting lcappytan05:

not necessarily.

male cats sometimes spray to mark their territory. We had a male cat that used to do that...

OP: try getting an enzymatic cleaner for now (i know PPs have suggested "no pee" spray or w/e...but any cleaner that is an enzymatic cleaner--you will have to read the bottle-- will take out the urine smell for him)

Quoting mcsmom1:

Quoting ready_for2:

Mamagirlz
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Quoting Mackenzi:

Quoting Mamagirlz:

I guess no one really read my post.  I put him on Free Cycle.  I'm waiting on that for someone to respond.  I don't want to take him to the shelter.  I'm just asking from someone experience or knowledge about if he would survive outside.  I'm concerned for him so that's why I'm asking.  I wouldn't just toss him out.  I love him too much to do that to him.  Gesh!

Quoting Mackenzi:

If you put the cat outside, it will not be able to defend itself with no claws. Have you tried to give it to a good home or sell it? You may want to try that before giving the cat to a shelter.

sorry i missed that part of your post....

My mom put her cat outside for the same reason...she would go into the litter box but stand the wrong way and pee outside the box. and she kept pooping in the plants. 2 days after she put her outside we never saw her again.

Oh that's okay.  i wasn't really mad at your post it was more of people coming after me how horrible i must be to put my declawed cat outside.  i'm really concerned for his safety otherwise i wouldn't be asking and just done it already.  my cat has pooped twice on our carpet but that was when he was a kitten.  he hasn't done it since.

Mamagirlz
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Quoting mcsmom1:

Quoting ready_for2:

Well you've never met my cat.  He's been doing it since he was 4 weeks old.  He just never broke the habit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN