Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Can cats with no claws survive outside?

Posted by   + Show Post

Can cats survive outside if they have no claws whats so ever?  I don't really want to get rid of my cat but really have no choice.  I did put him on Free Cycle and so far no one has responded.  He won't stop peeing on our rugs and if I leave the baby's room open he will pee on that carpet.  Baby isn't here yet but I don't want to deal with this cat peeing on my baby's floor b/c it can't be closed all the time then.  He's fixed and has no claws and he's been to the Dr. several times for his nasty habit.  Nothing I can do about it.  He's stuck in his ways. 

FYI: I do love my cat and I'm asking b/c I am concerned about his safety.  He's still in the house with me and will be till I can figure out what's the best option for him.  I'm hoping someone will give him a home because that's what I truly want for him.

by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:10 AM
Replies (31-40):
Mamagirlz
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:43 AM

This is my cat and my DH keeps saying he needs to go.  He won't toss him out himself b/c he knows that would break my heart.  I just wish he would stop b/c I really do want to keep him but after 2 years of this it's never going to stop. 

Quoting faeryfrog:

I also have a declawed male cat who pee's everywhere.

We've bought books, changed everything, gave him as much affection as anyone can give, his litter is cleaned every day, and bought him another and put it in a different side of the room and he still pee's. It was always contained in his bathroom (he has his OWN bathroom, as noone else wants to go in it)

We tried cleaning it with bleach, which is a very big no no as they hate the smell and start marking to take it out.

and he poops on the sink counter right above his litter box (with zero pee's or poops in it!!)

The last straw is we bought a new rug for the living room, and had the baby's blanket on it for her to play, we left for a few minutes and he pee'd all over her blanket, which soaked to the new carpet, and the carpet below.

I'm a neatfreak and now I'm done. It's my SO's cat and I feel very bad, but I said he has to go, I will not live with him anymore. So thanksgiving we're taking him to my inlaws, and I can't wait!

I love him, he's a beautiful cat, but I'll love him from afar!

(also, he's siamese, which have very weird habits. He is obsessed with eating paper, and has begun to get a taste for plastic. His vet also has no clue why he does this except saying he's an odd one...ya think?

courtneyy1217
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:44 AM

I don't think a cat can survive outside without claws... mine got out last year, and wont come home.  I was getting home really late one night and turned on my back porch light and was going to open the back door but looked out the window first and I watched my cat get carried off by a mountain lion, I think had she had claws she may have had been able to defend herself a little.... :(

Mamagirlz
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Quoting courtneyy1217:

I don't think a cat can survive outside without claws... mine got out last year, and wont come home.  I was getting home really late one night and turned on my back porch light and was going to open the back door but looked out the window first and I watched my cat get carried off by a mountain lion, I think had she had claws she may have had been able to defend herself a little.... :(

Oh I'm so sorry!

lcappytan05
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:49 AM

what do you use to wash them with when he does pee on them? if it has anything with ammonia in it (some bleaches do), it will cause him to pee (bc of the natural ammonia in urine).

Also, just because you cant smell it anymore doesn't mean he cant.

I had a problem with my dog pissing on everything last week....come to find out, DH was using ammonia based products to clean with....once I cleaned all that up, she stopped peeing on everything.

Enzymatic cleaners eliminate the urine smell for them.

Quoting Mamagirlz:

doubt it would work b/c the rugs he pees on i can wash.  so they are clean with no cat pee smell in them but he still likes them.  we use to have carpet through our whole house and we had to get rid of it all.  now we have hard wood floors but our rooms have carpet in them.  so far he hasn't messed with my room or my girls room.  atleast not yet.  its a habit that he has.

Quoting lcappytan05:

not necessarily.

male cats sometimes spray to mark their territory. We had a male cat that used to do that...

OP: try getting an enzymatic cleaner for now (i know PPs have suggested "no pee" spray or w/e...but any cleaner that is an enzymatic cleaner--you will have to read the bottle-- will take out the urine smell for him)

Quoting mcsmom1:

Quoting ready_for2:

take him to a non-euthanizing shelter. DO NOT PUT A DEFENSELESS CAT OUTSIDE TO FEND FOR ITSELF!!! that is CRUEL. cats shouldnt be declawed anyway, it is very painful and how would you like if someone ripped all of your nails out

This.  And I've never heard of a cat just pissing on the floor.  There has to be a reason.  Poor cat.

Pregnancy ticker its a boy

Need to get out those frustrations? Love the "vent of the day" posts? Join my group! click here

Mamagirlz
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Thanks for repeating this...  This so helps my problem out!

Quoting mommytohuddy:

Quoting ready_for2:

take him to a non-euthanizing shelter. DO NOT PUT A DEFENSELESS CAT OUTSIDE TO FEND FOR ITSELF!!! that is CRUEL. cats shouldnt be declawed anyway, it is very painful and how would you like if someone ripped all of your nails out

Mackenzi

It is completely understandable why you would consider putting him outside (if it were safe for him). I'm sure you just want to keep him close to you and not really get rid of him altogether.

Mamagirlz

I wash it in the washing machine with Tide (no bleach) in hot water.  Then it goes in the dryer.

Quoting lcappytan05:

what do you use to wash them with when he does pee on them? if it has anything with ammonia in it (some bleaches do), it will cause him to pee (bc of the natural ammonia in urine).

Also, just because you cant smell it anymore doesn't mean he cant.

I had a problem with my dog pissing on everything last week....come to find out, DH was using ammonia based products to clean with....once I cleaned all that up, she stopped peeing on everything.

Enzymatic cleaners eliminate the urine smell for them.

Quoting Mamagirlz:

doubt it would work b/c the rugs he pees on i can wash.  so they are clean with no cat pee smell in them but he still likes them.  we use to have carpet through our whole house and we had to get rid of it all.  now we have hard wood floors but our rooms have carpet in them.  so far he hasn't messed with my room or my girls room.  atleast not yet.  its a habit that he has.

Quoting lcappytan05:

not necessarily.

male cats sometimes spray to mark their territory. We had a male cat that used to do that...

OP: try getting an enzymatic cleaner for now (i know PPs have suggested "no pee" spray or w/e...but any cleaner that is an enzymatic cleaner--you will have to read the bottle-- will take out the urine smell for him)

Quoting mcsmom1:

Quoting ready_for2:

This.  And I've never heard of a cat just pissing on the floor.  There has to be a reason.  Poor cat.

Mamagirlz
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:51 AM

True.  He is like my baby.  So it really saddens me but Dh keeps telling me to get rid of him and I'm tired of cleaning this stuff up.  Technically i'm not suppose to since I'm pregnant but really have no choice when I'm home alone.

Quoting Mackenzi:

It is completely understandable why you would consider putting him outside (if it were safe for him). I'm sure you just want to keep him close to you and not really get rid of him altogether.

Mamagirlz
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Thanks to the people that actually helped me out.  I will keep him in till I can find him a good home. 

lcappytan05
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Okay, if he is peeing on the same things over and over again, it is most likely because he can still smell the urine on it. The tide is kind of masking the smell for you (which is good...cat pee STINKS! lol), but he can still detect it.

I'm not trying to come off like I know everything...but we had a problem like this a lot with one of our male cats when I was younger...and I had a problem like this with my female dog for awhile.

I would suggest (at least until you can figure out what you are going to do with him) to get an enzymatic cleaner and spray it on the things he pees on and then wash it...see if that helps at all....

I know how male cats can be though....ours used to spray on the walls and poop in my mom's plants...he was a little shit...lol.

Quoting Mamagirlz:

I wash it in the washing machine with Tide (no bleach) in hot water.  Then it goes in the dryer.

Quoting lcappytan05:

Pregnancy ticker its a boy

Need to get out those frustrations? Love the "vent of the day" posts? Join my group! click here

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN