Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Can cats with no claws survive outside?

Posted by   + Show Post

Can cats survive outside if they have no claws whats so ever?  I don't really want to get rid of my cat but really have no choice.  I did put him on Free Cycle and so far no one has responded.  He won't stop peeing on our rugs and if I leave the baby's room open he will pee on that carpet.  Baby isn't here yet but I don't want to deal with this cat peeing on my baby's floor b/c it can't be closed all the time then.  He's fixed and has no claws and he's been to the Dr. several times for his nasty habit.  Nothing I can do about it.  He's stuck in his ways. 

FYI: I do love my cat and I'm asking b/c I am concerned about his safety.  He's still in the house with me and will be till I can figure out what's the best option for him.  I'm hoping someone will give him a home because that's what I truly want for him.

by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:10 AM
Replies (41-50):
3greatkids751
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:56 AM

NO!!! They have NO self defense what so ever except for them biting but that's it.. I DO NOT declaw my cats at ALL incase they ever get out.. I would want them to keep themselves safe =)  When we adopted them it said right there on the paper that they DON'T declaw them and if the person that was going to adopt them was going to declaw then they would NOT do the adoption what so ever.. I think it's a good thing that they state that on there.. I understand that you don't want your furniture scratched all to hell but that's what scratching posts are for and I have taught my cats they DON'T claw my furniture and they know not to!

Wife to my Marine 3-7-07  Mommy to 3 little princess's - Faith  2-16-02, Kaylee 3-14-04, Madison 1-24-08.. Expecting #4 in 2010!!

pregnancy

Got Mamas Milk BlinkieI Love My LCPL Blinkie

Proud Mom Of Girls Blinkie

lcappytan05
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:58 AM

I think I read somewhere that if you are pregnant and have to clean this stuff up, wear gloves and wash your hands immediately after (which I'm sure you do anyways) and you should be fine.

Quoting Mamagirlz:

True.  He is like my baby.  So it really saddens me but Dh keeps telling me to get rid of him and I'm tired of cleaning this stuff up.  Technically i'm not suppose to since I'm pregnant but really have no choice when I'm home alone.

Quoting Mackenzi:

It is completely understandable why you would consider putting him outside (if it were safe for him). I'm sure you just want to keep him close to you and not really get rid of him altogether.

Pregnancy ticker its a boy

Need to get out those frustrations? Love the "vent of the day" posts? Join my group! click here

MommySteph06
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 12:06 PM

If the cat's an indoor cat, the chance of contracting the worm (or whatever it is...toxoplasmosis) is slim to none. The cats usually get it from being outdoors and digging in the dirt.

Quoting lcappytan05:

I think I read somewhere that if you are pregnant and have to clean this stuff up, wear gloves and wash your hands immediately after (which I'm sure you do anyways) and you should be fine.

Quoting Mamagirlz:

True.  He is like my baby.  So it really saddens me but Dh keeps telling me to get rid of him and I'm tired of cleaning this stuff up.  Technically i'm not suppose to since I'm pregnant but really have no choice when I'm home alone.

Quoting Mackenzi:

It is completely understandable why you would consider putting him outside (if it were safe for him). I'm sure you just want to keep him close to you and not really get rid of him altogether.

Pregnancy Ticker

in lovetoddler girltoddler boyexpecting boy

Steve&Steph                Kayla             Brennan                 Baby Boy
   11/2004                  10/28/06            3/16/08              EDD 10/27/09

Mamagirlz
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Oh I do wear gloves and scrub afterwards.

Quoting lcappytan05:

Quoting Mamagirlz:

Quoting Mackenzi:

MNilsen
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 12:15 PM

How old is your cat?  Do just have one litter box?  My mom has two story house and had trouble with her cat peeing upstairs.  She got another litter box and it solved the problem. I have also read you can use diluted peroxide and vinaeger to get rid of the stain and the odor, which may attract the cat to pee their again.  They also say baking soda works.  I didn't read all the posts but have you had your cat checked medically?

I know OBs warn you about cleaning up after cats because of toxoplasmosis.  I think it is very important to be careful.  I have toxoplasmosis.  My mom was 16 year old and no received prenatal care or education.  You have to be worried more about their feces then pee but I would always wear gloves and wash your hands. 

And on to your main question.. yes cats can live outside without their front claws.  My cat was mostly outdoors but I think it all depends on the obstacles they run into out on their own.  Being declawed definitely puts them at a disadvantage.  If you make the decision to get rid of your cat,  I would beg you to choose a different options.  There are shelters to take it too that would be a much better option then hoping it can fend for itself.

CafeMom Tickers

Marci

Mamagirlz
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Well we did go the route of scratching posts but he wouldn't use it whats so ever.  Plus we have little kids and didn't like him clawing them either when he wanted to play.  I didn't adobt him from the pound.  I got him free through the paper.

Quoting 3greatkids751:

NO!!! They have NO self defense what so ever except for them biting but that's it.. I DO NOT declaw my cats at ALL incase they ever get out.. I would want them to keep themselves safe =)  When we adopted them it said right there on the paper that they DON'T declaw them and if the person that was going to adopt them was going to declaw then they would NOT do the adoption what so ever.. I think it's a good thing that they state that on there.. I understand that you don't want your furniture scratched all to hell but that's what scratching posts are for and I have taught my cats they DON'T claw my furniture and they know not to!

Mamagirlz
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 12:18 PM

He's 2 yo.  We have one litter box.  Our house is one story and small so there isn't another place to put one. If we had a bigger house or even 2 stories I would have another one.  He's been to the Dr. several times and he's fine.  He's been doing this since he was 4 weeks old.  It's just a bad habit that I put up with way too long.  We got rid of the carpets through the whole house except for 3 rooms.  Only one of them he will pee on which I keep closed at the moment.  I've tried it all over the years and I'm just done with it.  I'm not planning to make him go outside.  I just wanted to know if it could of been an option.  I'm not fond of the pound.  I'm hoping to find a home 1st.

Quoting MNilsen:

How old is your cat?  Do just have one litter box?  My mom has two story house and had trouble with her cat peeing upstairs.  She got another litter box and it solved the problem. I have also read you can use diluted peroxide and vinaeger to get rid of the stain and the odor, which may attract the cat to pee their again.  They also say baking soda works.  I didn't read all the posts but have you had your cat checked medically?

I know OBs warn you about cleaning up after cats because of toxoplasmosis.  I think it is very important to be careful.  I have toxoplasmosis.  My mom was 16 year old and no received prenatal care or education.  You have to be worried more about their feces then pee but I would always wear gloves and wash your hands. 

And on to your main question.. yes cats can live outside without their front claws.  My cat was mostly outdoors but I think it all depends on the obstacles they run into out on their own.  Being declawed definitely puts them at a disadvantage.  If you make the decision to get rid of your cat,  I would beg you to choose a different options.  There are shelters to take it too that would be a much better option then hoping it can fend for itself.

charady
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Also, with you being pregnant your doc can test if you have been exposed to that toxoplasmosis or whatever, which would allow you to clean up without worry.  But with an inside cat, chances are pretty slim of you ever being around it.  However, with outside cats, even gardening can introduce it to you (because of cats eliminating outside).  Yet most docs don't tell you to be careful digging outside. I also agree with the enzyme cleaners.  Vinegar will get rid of the smell-for you, not for kitty.  It will be your best option at this point.  Use the enzyme cleaners and clean it all up.  Also get a black light that will let you see anywhere the cat pee is (since older spots you may not smell or see with your naked eye and they will all attract him back to the area).  Good luck!  It will take some time on your part to track down all the areas but it will be worth it in the end!!

heatherann0221
by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 1:21 PM

you just described my cat. No claws, fixed, and pees on the floor. He stays outside now. He's been an outside cat for more than a year and he's doing just fine. We were living out in the desert and he did okay, still managed to bring me mice and lizards. Now that we have a house, he lives in the garage. I WILL NOT have him destroying these carpets. We're renting and I'm not paying to have them put down new carpet. He did quite a number on the carpet in the nursery at our old place.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on Sep. 25, 2009 at 1:33 PM

yes a declawed cat can still hunt with no claws and low and behold can still climb trees. My grandmother had to declaw hers and now do some cirsumstance they have had to put both Slinky (who has claws) and Bridget outsdie and bridgie does fine outside.

Because i love my little girl  Because yes i am Bipolar

Trisomy 18 Has affected my life For my aunt

For my grampa (lung cancer) For my papa (liver cancer)

Pink and Blue because infants deserve to be remembered too

WHAT COLORS ARE IN YOUR LIFE?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN