Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Can cats with no claws survive outside?

Posted by   + Show Post

Can cats survive outside if they have no claws whats so ever?  I don't really want to get rid of my cat but really have no choice.  I did put him on Free Cycle and so far no one has responded.  He won't stop peeing on our rugs and if I leave the baby's room open he will pee on that carpet.  Baby isn't here yet but I don't want to deal with this cat peeing on my baby's floor b/c it can't be closed all the time then.  He's fixed and has no claws and he's been to the Dr. several times for his nasty habit.  Nothing I can do about it.  He's stuck in his ways. 

FYI: I do love my cat and I'm asking b/c I am concerned about his safety.  He's still in the house with me and will be till I can figure out what's the best option for him.  I'm hoping someone will give him a home because that's what I truly want for him.

by on Sep. 25, 2009 at 11:10 AM
Replies (91-100):
tyrelsmom
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Without claws I wouldn't. Most of our barn cats are cats that did that, though. People were looking to get rid of them for it, we have a barn, it worked out well, lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
trainlady
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Its very difficult for cats to survive outside without claws. They have no way to defend themselves and they can't even climb trees to get away from dogs and other animals. And if he has never been an outside cat he simply will not know how to survive. Is there a no-kill shelter anywhere in your area that will take him and find him a good home? What state are you located in? Somewhere in your state there has to be a no-kill shelter. There are dozens of products available that you can use on your carpet that will keep him from peeing on the carpet. Look on the internet and see if you can find a product that will solve your problem. But whatever you do PLEASE don't toss him out the door. If all else fails you might have to put him to sleep which I know is not at all your choice, but consider it against the horrible things that could happen to him being outside all alone. Dogs, even other animals, large birds, cars running him over, poison. Cats will lick anti-freeze and die and if he is outside he can get into a garge where there is antifreeze on the floor and that all there is he would die an excruciating death. Consider all your options and again check the internet for products that will stop his peeing on the carpet. It might be as simple as cleaning the little box after every potty he does. A lot of cats will not go in a litter box that has been use and not scooped. Good Luck

CristyK345
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I'm so sorry for you.  This must be so difficult.  He may be marking his territory by peeing, or he may have "Indoor stress."  Some cats, especially some males, seem to need to get outdoors.  However, he has no claws and would be completely defenseless when he, sooner or later, meets up with a predator.  Some declawed cats have been know to climb trees, but most can't.

You can't put him out.  I think your only hope is to find him a good home.  Good luck.

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:44 AM
He will end up dead:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jiffypop2207
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:46 AM
My cat did that once, turned out she has a uti, have you brought it to the vet?
CristyK345
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:47 AM

He may have a urinary infection and associate his litter box with the pain of peeing, so he's looking for a different place, like soft carpet.  Years ago I had a male cat that continually peed on the rug.  I had him at the vet's alot  and it took a long time before a correct diagnosis.  We eventually put him on a low ash diet, but unfortunately, once cats pee in a certain spot, unless you completely get rid of the scent, they will go back to that spot.  Later, I pulled up the rugs and put down hard wood.  Expensive, but it got rid of the smell and he stopped going in those spots.     

jesilovdol
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:47 AM
One of my cats came to us declawed. (I dont think they declaw animals anymore?) He was very active. Always sneaking outside. Loved to go outdoors and was the most amazing hunter. It was in his nature. He would bring home squirrels, chipmunks, snakes, moles... So, to say he was defenseless.... He may not have had his claws, but clearly he Didnt need them. At least, not in our neck of the woods. Oh, and he also lost a leg to cancer. Even that couldn't stop him from being out in nature where he loved to be most. Our 3 legged pest controller .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshine257
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Do not let a cat outside without claws! Call the paws foundation and see if they can take your
Cat.
jeweldragons
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:02 AM

No it can't.

ramita
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Can he still be your pet, but become an outside cat? If this is a no then you need to find a shelter for him. You shouldn't just throw any animal out. After being a domestic animal they have a hard time being a wild one.

Quoting Mamagirlz:

That's what I figured.  I'll just wait for someone to respond on Free Cycle.  Thanks.

Quoting LvnDeadGrl:

They CAN, but generally they do so by hiding and digging in people's trash. With no claws they can not defend themselves and they certainly can't hunt nearly as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)