Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Severe jaw pain once a month?????

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2009 at 8:39 PM
  • 9 Replies

I know this is going to sound strange, but I have been getting a severe pain in my upper right jaw at the same time for the last 3 months. It started on July 26  while on vacation, I had severe pain in my upper right jaw that was throbbing and burning. I took several different kinds of medicine to alleviate the pain,but nothing worked. After 2 days the pain went away. Then around the same time in August the pain returned, again for a couple of days and then went away. So a couple of hours ago it started again, I am miserable! I am going to make a doctor appointment for tomorrow, but until then any help would be wonderful.

Has anyone ever had anything like this happen to them? Severe jaw pain about every 4 weeks? I really don't understand!  Any suggestions would be great!

by on Sep. 27, 2009 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SarahY
by on Sep. 27, 2009 at 9:16 PM

any other pain? do you wake up with it?

could be grinding your teeth or even having a seizure in your sleep caursing the sore jaw for a day or two. Seizures can ocurr on a regular basis (monthly, weekly, every 10 years, whatever)

abstractmommy
by on Sep. 27, 2009 at 9:18 PM

I had a similar problem, and after visiting a dentist and endodontist and two other doctors, discovered I had a pinched nerve in my neck. I hadn't felt any other neck problems but apparently a pinched nerve can be subtle.

UpNorthMom218
by on Sep. 27, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Sounds like it could be TMJ (google it - tempromandibular joint tendonitis/strain)  Can be caused by eating really chewy foods (lots of gum), or having your mouth open wide  for long periods of time (dentist visits, favors for the husband), etc.  Google the condition and see if any of the symptoms sound familiar, then see if you can get into a physical therapist that treats it.

Good Luck!

Lara
Mom of Seth

Happily working from home --join me!
www.workathomeunited.com/larap

ryliesmom2003
by on Sep. 27, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Quoting SarahY:

could be grinding your teeth or even having a seizure in your sleep caursing the sore jaw for a day or two. Seizures can ocurr on a regular basis (monthly, weekly, every 10 years, whatever)

no, not any other pain. And it usually starts during the day. today it started at around 7 p.m.

i did go to the doc back earlier in june for ear/jaw pain, but it was different. he did say i could be grinding my teeth but that pain has went away. i don't understand why this has been happening at the same time every month.

Kierri
by on Sep. 27, 2009 at 9:29 PM

I say it could possibly be TMJ. I have it and it sucks. I have mostly good days and don't notice it but other days i can hardly open my mouth.

Kierri
by on Sep. 27, 2009 at 9:31 PM

I found out after having a horrible pain in my ear. I went to the ER it was so bad.. well we tried. We couldn't find the ER and the pain stopped. I went to the doc the next time and he said I had TMJ.

Quoting ryliesmom2003:

Quoting SarahY:

no, not any other pain. And it usually starts during the day. today it started at around 7 p.m.

i did go to the doc back earlier in june for ear/jaw pain, but it was different. he did say i could be grinding my teeth but that pain has went away. i don't understand why this has been happening at the same time every month.

junebug624
by on Sep. 27, 2009 at 9:35 PM

I had the same issues.  It was only in my upper jaw and happened to me a few days ago again.  I went to the doc about it awhile ago, and he found the only thing it could be (for me anyways) was congestion in my sinuses.  No, not in my nose but rather the area about my nose and part of my eyes was severly congested... it was just a coincidence it happened every so many weeks though.  I took claritin d for 3 days and i was fine.  If your mucous is green its a sinus infection and you need antibiotics... clear its just severe allergies. 

I'm a vaxing, circing, disposable diaper using, bf switched to ff, CIO sometimes, pushed 1hr before a c-section (and don't regret it), college graduate, loving my son, can't wait to have another baby, trust your own judgement, kind of mom.

ryliesmom2003
by on Sep. 27, 2009 at 9:41 PM

I was wondering about sinuses. It does seem that the right side of my nose is always a little stuffy when this happens. But I don't have a runny nose, so I don't know. Maybe I will go but some Claritin d tomorrow and try that. Something has got to work soon though, this is awful.

Quoting junebug624:

I had the same issues.  It was only in my upper jaw and happened to me a few days ago again.  I went to the doc about it awhile ago, and he found the only thing it could be (for me anyways) was congestion in my sinuses.  No, not in my nose but rather the area about my nose and part of my eyes was severly congested... it was just a coincidence it happened every so many weeks though.  I took claritin d for 3 days and i was fine.  If your mucous is green its a sinus infection and you need antibiotics... clear its just severe allergies. 

junebug624
by on Sep. 27, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Trust me I completely understand... I dont have a runny nose either, just a LOT of congestion in my upper sinus cavity.. never put two and two together til my doc pointed it out.  I have no other symptoms but severe upper jaw pain that it hurts to open my mouth to talk or eat.

Quoting ryliesmom2003:

I was wondering about sinuses. It does seem that the right side of my nose is always a little stuffy when this happens. But I don't have a runny nose, so I don't know. Maybe I will go but some Claritin d tomorrow and try that. Something has got to work soon though, this is awful.

Quoting junebug624:

I'm a vaxing, circing, disposable diaper using, bf switched to ff, CIO sometimes, pushed 1hr before a c-section (and don't regret it), college graduate, loving my son, can't wait to have another baby, trust your own judgement, kind of mom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)