Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

At what age can a child understand and follow instruction?

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2009 at 12:12 AM
  • 10 Replies

My son is 11 months old. He can walk and can say, Mom, Dad, Bub, Car, You and Banana. He understands what 'No' Means and even shakes his head when you say it lol but that may very well be he knows the tone and what it relates to rather than it being an instruction.  At what age do children start being able to understand simple instructions. I can say "Mason, please bring (insert random object he is holding) to Mommy" or "Mason, can you pick up (another random object)" and he will do it around 50% of the time. I certainly don't expect for me to ask him to go wash the dishes and he'll do it (lmao ath the thought of an 11 month old washing the dishes) . Should he be able to follow simple instructions by now? I'm not worried about developmental problems or anything just enjoy teaching him things and we've started the whole "help mommy pick up your toys and put them back" thing.

So at what age can you expect them to understand and follow instruction? Mason is a very independant and defiant child, he could just do what we're saying just because he thinks its funny LOL.

by on Oct. 1, 2009 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Michelle2080
by on Oct. 1, 2009 at 12:14 AM

My almost 3 year old understood certain things by the time he was 14 months old. My youngest who is now 18 months is just starting to understand. I guess it's true...all kiddos are different! I think your son would be considered an early bird!

DaisyAg2003
by on Oct. 1, 2009 at 12:16 AM

my 12 month old follows simple instructions:  put it in the trash, go get your shoes, lay down for a diaper change, sit down, get down, go get in your chair. go find your cup

Simple little sentences she understands.

CarterMommy
by on Oct. 1, 2009 at 12:16 AM

it really depends on the child and the detail of the instructions ya know? people were really suprised when my middle son who is now 19 months old would go and sit down and put his hands in his lap when told to when he had to go to time out ... he started when he was just about 1 year old 

Thinking about having one more baby but not sure? Then join us @ ONE more or NO more!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/ONEmoreorNOmore

lvnmylif
by on Oct. 1, 2009 at 12:18 AM

I'm going to have to say it depends on the child.  My 1 1/2 year old and two year old can follow simple instructions.  When my oldest was that age he wouldn't.  As far as the picking up toys goes it's a process and it easiest if you make it kind of a game.  You have a while before you can say go pick up ___ and reasonably expect it to get done. 

DaisyAg2003
by on Oct. 1, 2009 at 12:18 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot, if she is really whiny I tell her to go to her room to whine and she will go stand in the corner!  :)  I guess she has seen her older brother and sisters standing there often enough! 

de_sly
by on Oct. 1, 2009 at 12:19 AM

i think 12 months at 15 months my dd could follow many more with more detail

MissAndrea125
by on Oct. 1, 2009 at 12:20 AM

My baby girl is 13+ months old, and she can follow little instructions like "Put it back" "Close the door" "Give it to me" "Get your shoes" "Give me kiss" stuff like that

krista778
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2009 at 12:35 AM

Dd was about 12 months when she could follow simple things like "hand me____" Now at 20 months she follows a lot more direction and understands pretty much everything

butterflyblu
by on Oct. 1, 2009 at 1:56 AM

Developmentally a child should be able to follow a simple command with a gesture by 12 months of age.  So if you say "give Mommy the car please" and point to it at the same time, he should be able to do that.  By 18 months a child should be able to follow a simple command without a gesture.  So you can ask for the car but not need to point to it.   That's what the pediatrician told me and also my son's therapist.  He's doing therapy for speech through Early Intervention since he's a little behind.  But my son can understand a lot more than he can say which is normal for most kids.  I think your son is fine for an 11 month old.  It's normal for them not to respond to everything you ask.  And I think boys have selective hearing too, just like men!  LOL

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Oct. 1, 2009 at 4:05 AM

BUMP

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)