Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

do u know this about swine flu

Posted by   + Show Post

i know e1 is probably tired of hear about this but i thought it was a different one. how many ppl know that this is not the first time the swine flu has hit the U.S. it hit bk in the 70's roughly about 1976 just thought it was interesting since all my news wants to talk about is the swine flu 

by on Oct. 6, 2009 at 11:20 PM
Replies (31-40):
adri_nevarez
by on Oct. 7, 2009 at 12:15 AM

Just making sure =)  Sometimes my sarcasm leaves people thinking I am a bit dumb!  I just wish the government would promote handwashing campaigns that would help with all communicable disease (except STD's lol) and stop throwing our money away on this H1N1 hype... Wash your hands, stay away from sick people, cover your coughs... If you do think you have the flu go to the dr.  If it is the flu you will get Tamiflu which will help you significantly!  Take all the tamiflu... and continue the good hygeine, it will save you so much money and illness! 

Quoting Kays_Mama06:

Of course... I am on the same sarcastic boat with you. Maybe not the SAME boat.. But sarcastic nonetheless.

Kays_Mama06
by on Oct. 7, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Oh no.. I understand.. You cant read sarcasm thru a screen.. I get it all the time. lol.

And youre right.. These are things we teach our kids as parents yet the country cant campaign to their people? Nope.. The harder way makes more money so it will happen THAT way and THAT way only.

Quoting adri_nevarez:

Just making sure =)  Sometimes my sarcasm leaves people thinking I am a bit dumb!  I just wish the government would promote handwashing campaigns that would help with all communicable disease (except STD's lol) and stop throwing our money away on this H1N1 hype... Wash your hands, stay away from sick people, cover your coughs... If you do think you have the flu go to the dr.  If it is the flu you will get Tamiflu which will help you significantly!  Take all the tamiflu... and continue the good hygeine, it will save you so much money and illness! 

Quoting Kays_Mama06:

Of course... I am on the same sarcastic boat with you. Maybe not the SAME boat.. But sarcastic nonetheless. 

sllytnkrbl
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2009 at 12:19 AM

Quoting Seven7ruval11:

You actually want your kids to receive a vaccine that hasn't even been tested?  Do you have any idea what is in that vaccine?  You should research it.  I have NO INTENTIONS of getting that shot.  Mainly because THEY are pushing for it and are now trying to pass a bill that will REQUIRE us to have it, AGAINST OUR WILL.  Why would they do that?  THAT is suspicious to me.  Sounds more like population control, when it is something that is REALLY NOT a concern.

Quoting sllytnkrbl:

My issue with the swine flu is that it's all being blown out of proportion I think.   I just read that right now there have been about 450 cases of the swine flu that have been fatal but in an average year 36,000 die from the seasonal flu.   Those cases that are fatal have mostly been people with underlying problems (heart, immune system).   Why does the media have this need to get us all riled up.  As long as you take precautions (washing hands, covering coughs) there is no reason to assume it'll be any worse than any other flu season except you have an extra option this year.   

On a side note if it is available I do plan on my children getting the vaccine only because I care for my father who has a heart condition and is in the high risk area for either flu and I was asked by his doctor to have everyone who spends time with him vaccinated. 

The vaccine has not been tested in the US but it has been used in other countries already with no ill affects and it is actually based on an old flu vaccine (it does change yearly) so it has in essance been used in the past just not on the younger generations.

Also since my dad will be getting the vaccine my kids will be exposed to the virus why would I not take every precaution available to me to keep them from getting the flu?

adri_nevarez
by on Oct. 7, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Are you familiar with Henry the Hand... it is a handwashing campaign geared to young students.  I was the only one in public school who used it... I made kids wash their hands before breakfast and lunch and after restroom breaks.  I had so many compliments at the end of the year... one mom called my principal to tell her how wonderful i was because her son who has cystic fibrosis was so much healthier because his teacher would tell him to wash his hands!  I wish the government would do something similar, fund schools for simple handwashing campaigns... it does make a difference! Here is a link in case you are interested... it is really cool and has great printable activities! 

http://www.henrythehand.com/

Quoting Kays_Mama06:

Oh no.. I understand.. You cant read sarcasm thru a screen.. I get it all the time. lol.

And youre right.. These are things we teach our kids as parents yet the country cant campaign to their people? Nope.. The harder way makes more money so it will happen THAT way and THAT way only.

Quoting adri_nevarez:

Quoting Kays_Mama06:

Seven7ruval11
by on Oct. 7, 2009 at 1:11 AM

Maybe because I have a friend that received the REQUIRED polio shot and ended up being the one of the 1% that had the "ill effects".  He is crippled FOR LIFE, because of that shot. 

Another thing I don't like about these vaccines, period, is that they get to a point or feel a need to get to a point of REQUIRING you to have a shot that you sign a paper, that if anything bad happens, they are not responsible.  I don't want on my conscience, signing my child's fate over, and something go wrong and I CAN'T SUE ANYONE or DO ANYTHING.  I just have to face the fact that I just signed this RISKY procedure over at the detriment of my child. 

I have been doing this with all my six children, at the state requirement:  you all know: sign that paper that says your kid could die, but, you are signing this paper that you know that is a risk; therefore, you cannot hold us responsible.

Well, by law, you can claim religious exemption.  Like Jehovah Witnesses do not participate in immunization shots.  Their kids do not DIE.  The risk of the shot is no more than the risk of not getting it. I rather go natural and trust God.  I have watched families survive and live normal lives, with no ills, without shots. 

I don't trust this new vaccine, because they are looking to force us to take it, as long as they can term it a pandemic.  I don't trust their reasoning no more than their reasoning to limit ammunition and hike up the cost to where no one can afford ammunition.  I think we are being attacked, from the back door and snuck up on, at many angles.  Call me a nut or paranoid.  But, I'll see it coming, when it happens, while everyone else is in shock.

Flu shots are pointless because viruses change every year, if not more.  Every virus is different and each vaccine only covers certain viruses.  It's stupid.  You can still get the flu, with a flu shot...just not the virus that is covered under that shot.  I've never received one and never gotten the flu.  Go figure.

Quoting sllytnkrbl:

Quoting Seven7ruval11:

You actually want your kids to receive a vaccine that hasn't even been tested?  Do you have any idea what is in that vaccine?  You should research it.  I have NO INTENTIONS of getting that shot.  Mainly because THEY are pushing for it and are now trying to pass a bill that will REQUIRE us to have it, AGAINST OUR WILL.  Why would they do that?  THAT is suspicious to me.  Sounds more like population control, when it is something that is REALLY NOT a concern.

Quoting sllytnkrbl:

My issue with the swine flu is that it's all being blown out of proportion I think.   I just read that right now there have been about 450 cases of the swine flu that have been fatal but in an average year 36,000 die from the seasonal flu.   Those cases that are fatal have mostly been people with underlying problems (heart, immune system).   Why does the media have this need to get us all riled up.  As long as you take precautions (washing hands, covering coughs) there is no reason to assume it'll be any worse than any other flu season except you have an extra option this year.   

On a side note if it is available I do plan on my children getting the vaccine only because I care for my father who has a heart condition and is in the high risk area for either flu and I was asked by his doctor to have everyone who spends time with him vaccinated. 

The vaccine has not been tested in the US but it has been used in other countries already with no ill affects and it is actually based on an old flu vaccine (it does change yearly) so it has in essance been used in the past just not on the younger generations.

Also since my dad will be getting the vaccine my kids will be exposed to the virus why would I not take every precaution available to me to keep them from getting the flu?

" If men were angels, no government would be necessary.  If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary."

truetigress
by on Oct. 7, 2009 at 2:02 AM

You take a chance stepping outside your house to be stricken with something...but this flu shot has me worried. If the H1N1 flu is so bad, and it is shutting down schools as does other infectious diseases, the shot almost seems to be needed.

However I fear it because it was "rushed" into production. When this became such a big thing at the end of last year I spoke to our doc who said it was hype..that regular flu has killed more people. Therefore I let it go. Over the summer it didnt worry me..

What worries me now is "conflicting" reports. Some say that they recommend the shot. Some say to wait. Some say....I can't stand by and wait til someone else makes the decision to give my child something that was rushed into production. It's deemed safe but so was ephedra and look at how many people had heart attacks from it and THEN they took it off the market.

I am hoping we don't get this flu. I am praying we won't get this flu, but I am scared poopless at this point. As a parent I want to keep my child safe, healthy, ALIVE....

I don't know WHAT to do and THAT is my BIGGEST fear about this damn flu! 

lovemymarine306
by on Oct. 7, 2009 at 2:08 AM

i've been hearing doctors on TV say that H1N1 is so mild that they really don't know why the vaccine is being pushed so hard. 

Seven7ruval11
by on Oct. 7, 2009 at 2:47 AM

EXACTLY!

Quoting lovemymarine306:

i've been hearing doctors on TV say that H1N1 is so mild that they really don't know why the vaccine is being pushed so hard. 

Maintaining the Constitution"Is there no virtue among us?  If there be not, we are in a wretched situation.  No theoretical checks, no form of government, can render us secure.  To suppose that any form of government will secure liberty or happiness without any virtue in the people, is a chirmerical idea.  If there be sufficient virtue and intelligence in the community, it will be exercised in the selection of these men;  so that we do not depend upon their virtue, or put confidence in our rulers, but in the people who are to choose them."  - Jonathon Elliot

momof2little1s
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2009 at 7:10 AM

Kerfuffle-Thank you exctly!

Adri- Both of the statementd you said are not true.  Docs have said I am not imune from just having it because there severla types of strains of the virus and that is one of the reasons the vaccine has taken so long because they are trying to get all the strains into it.  And my case is NOT rare. 9 pregnant woman have died from a case exactly like mine.  And many others have died as well. 49 children have died in the US and of the 49 a qaurter of them were healthy children with NO pre-existing conditions.  If you want the real info and not just inacurate info fom others go to the CDC's website.  You will be surprised at the numbers!

Quoting Kerfuffle:

Quoting adri_nevarez:

If you've had a confirmed case of H1N1 you do not need to be vaccinated.  You have the best immunity of all - a natural one that your body built alone!  I'm sorry you had such a rough case, but not everyone gets severe symptoms.  In fact, your symptoms were rare.  Most people who get treated with Tamiflu will have symptoms more mild than the regular seasonal flu.  The key is to prompt medical attention when someone has flu like symptoms.

Quoting momof2little1s:

I had H1N1!  It was horrible and almost killed me and my baby!  I was in a coma on the hospital for 30 days.  I know many other cases and deaths that the cases were BAD.  And not all of them were in a high risk category!  The media is down playing it to not scare everyone.  I do not buy that it is not that bad and neither do my family who almost lost me!!!!!!!!! And we will be getting vacinating!

I have to say that it is easy to think the swine flu is no big deal when it has not affected you personally in such a negitive way.  I was so close to death from it that I have a huge interest in the subject and have done a TON of research on it.  And while it may be mild for some, it has killed MANY and not just people in high risk categories.  There are over 30 documented cases of kids in the US who died with no pre-existing health issues.  So, I campain hard for people to take this virus serious.  I do not want to make decisions for people or push them itno decisions.  But, I want everyone to be aware of it's potential danger.

I have done many news spots(today show, NBC nightly news, Good Morning Americwa, and several local stations) talking about my case and the importance of taking the H1N1 virus serious.  Our local news is taped me this Wednesday for another news spot about it.  And they should be airing it on the NBS Nightly news after as well.

Anyway, I hope none of you are personally effected by swine flu the way I and my family was.  But, whether you decide to vacinate or not PLEASE take it serious and do not brush it off say it is no big deal.  It may be no big deal for some but know it can also be potentially fatal.

And that goes for any flu year... not just this one with h1n1 floating around.  Influenza kills people. Complications can arise with or without a pre existing condition.    The flu is not like a cold...  it is actually quite serious and does need medical attention. Obviosuly it is not as serious as say ebola...   but its not something to just say "Oh whatever... its JUST the flu" about.

My Girls- My loves, My life, My EVERYTHING

Caitlin 5 yrs, Lilly 3 yrs, and Molly born 7/19/09

adri_nevarez
by on Oct. 7, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Compared to the number of people who have had mild versions of H1N1 your case is rare.  Deaths are very rare... You do know that 36,000 people die YEARLY from seasonal flu (and that is rare in comparisson with the number of people who contract it)... Vaccinating is a personal choice, but you have immunity... maybe not complete, but you have more immunity than most.  And in my case, I would rather use that than be injected with something that is not tested!  Look at the number of people killed or paralyzed by the vaccine back in 1976!  Look at the number of confirmed H1N1 and the number of deaths and see that it is very rare.  I am not saying it is impossible - but in most cases if a person seeks medical care within 48 hours of symptoms the tamiflu will work wonders, and I think it's sad that so many people wait before getting seen.  I have a nephew who is currently very sick and showing many flu symptoms.  He has had a high fever for 3 days and his parents refuse to take him to the dr!  I really hope people research this vaccine before thinking it's a quick fix to the mutated H1N1... all these mutated strains, IMO, come from us genetically altering viruses in the first place!  I didn't know there was different strains of H1N1, I know there are different flu strains (which is exactly why IMO a flu shot is worthless... it's like finding a needle in a haystack...)

Quoting momof2little1s:

Kerfuffle-Thank you exctly!

Adri- Both of the statementd you said are not true.  Docs have said I am not imune from just having it because there severla types of strains of the virus and that is one of the reasons the vaccine has taken so long because they are trying to get all the strains into it.  And my case is NOT rare. 9 pregnant woman have died from a case exactly like mine.  And many others have died as well. 49 children have died in the US and of the 49 a qaurter of them were healthy children with NO pre-existing conditions.  If you want the real info and not just inacurate info fom others go to the CDC's website.  You will be surprised at the numbers!

Quoting Kerfuffle:

Quoting adri_nevarez:

If you've had a confirmed case of H1N1 you do not need to be vaccinated.  You have the best immunity of all - a natural one that your body built alone!  I'm sorry you had such a rough case, but not everyone gets severe symptoms.  In fact, your symptoms were rare.  Most people who get treated with Tamiflu will have symptoms more mild than the regular seasonal flu.  The key is to prompt medical attention when someone has flu like symptoms.

Quoting momof2little1s:

I had H1N1!  It was horrible and almost killed me and my baby!  I was in a coma on the hospital for 30 days.  I know many other cases and deaths that the cases were BAD.  And not all of them were in a high risk category!  The media is down playing it to not scare everyone.  I do not buy that it is not that bad and neither do my family who almost lost me!!!!!!!!! And we will be getting vacinating!

I have to say that it is easy to think the swine flu is no big deal when it has not affected you personally in such a negitive way.  I was so close to death from it that I have a huge interest in the subject and have done a TON of research on it.  And while it may be mild for some, it has killed MANY and not just people in high risk categories.  There are over 30 documented cases of kids in the US who died with no pre-existing health issues.  So, I campain hard for people to take this virus serious.  I do not want to make decisions for people or push them itno decisions.  But, I want everyone to be aware of it's potential danger.

I have done many news spots(today show, NBC nightly news, Good Morning Americwa, and several local stations) talking about my case and the importance of taking the H1N1 virus serious.  Our local news is taped me this Wednesday for another news spot about it.  And they should be airing it on the NBS Nightly news after as well.

Anyway, I hope none of you are personally effected by swine flu the way I and my family was.  But, whether you decide to vacinate or not PLEASE take it serious and do not brush it off say it is no big deal.  It may be no big deal for some but know it can also be potentially fatal.

And that goes for any flu year... not just this one with h1n1 floating around.  Influenza kills people. Complications can arise with or without a pre existing condition.    The flu is not like a cold...  it is actually quite serious and does need medical attention. Obviosuly it is not as serious as say ebola...   but its not something to just say "Oh whatever... its JUST the flu" about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN