Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

do u know this about swine flu

Posted by   + Show Post

i know e1 is probably tired of hear about this but i thought it was a different one. how many ppl know that this is not the first time the swine flu has hit the U.S. it hit bk in the 70's roughly about 1976 just thought it was interesting since all my news wants to talk about is the swine flu 

by on Oct. 6, 2009 at 11:20 PM
Replies (41-49):
greenie63
by Nancy on Oct. 7, 2009 at 4:19 PM

yes i knew about the swine flu back in the 70's because i had it. my dad and i were sick at the same time, so sharing one bathroom was a challenge. now i am recovering from h1n1 as well and i'm still alive so far, even though i've wished i was dead earlier this week lol. i am very weak now, have a headache, but i'm not vomiting anymore or running a temp. i had temp up and down for almost 3 days this has been no fun. yes it's a flu and one hell of a nasty one.

momof2little1s
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Whatever.......Believe what you want but you are just spouting out inaccurate speclitory info-not facts.  The vaccine has been tested, and it has even been tested on kids.  And I am glad you think I have enough imunity-but I will take my doctors expertise over yours, thanks! And my case is not rare.The new numbers show that there have been 100 pregnant  woman hospitalized and 28 pregnant woman who have died from swine flu.  And there are being more and more cases of healthy people dying being reported.  I do not want to push people into getting the vaccine, I just want people to take H1N1 serious.

Quoting adri_nevarez:

Compared to the number of people who have had mild versions of H1N1 your case is rare.  Deaths are very rare... You do know that 36,000 people die YEARLY from seasonal flu (and that is rare in comparisson with the number of people who contract it)... Vaccinating is a personal choice, but you have immunity... maybe not complete, but you have more immunity than most.  And in my case, I would rather use that than be injected with something that is not tested!  Look at the number of people killed or paralyzed by the vaccine back in 1976!  Look at the number of confirmed H1N1 and the number of deaths and see that it is very rare.  I am not saying it is impossible - but in most cases if a person seeks medical care within 48 hours of symptoms the tamiflu will work wonders, and I think it's sad that so many people wait before getting seen.  I have a nephew who is currently very sick and showing many flu symptoms.  He has had a high fever for 3 days and his parents refuse to take him to the dr!  I really hope people research this vaccine before thinking it's a quick fix to the mutated H1N1... all these mutated strains, IMO, come from us genetically altering viruses in the first place!  I didn't know there was different strains of H1N1, I know there are different flu strains (which is exactly why IMO a flu shot is worthless... it's like finding a needle in a haystack...)

Quoting momof2little1s:

Kerfuffle-Thank you exctly!

Adri- Both of the statementd you said are not true.  Docs have said I am not imune from just having it because there severla types of strains of the virus and that is one of the reasons the vaccine has taken so long because they are trying to get all the strains into it.  And my case is NOT rare. 9 pregnant woman have died from a case exactly like mine.  And many others have died as well. 49 children have died in the US and of the 49 a qaurter of them were healthy children with NO pre-existing conditions.  If you want the real info and not just inacurate info fom others go to the CDC's website.  You will be surprised at the numbers!

Quoting Kerfuffle:

Quoting adri_nevarez:

If you've had a confirmed case of H1N1 you do not need to be vaccinated.  You have the best immunity of all - a natural one that your body built alone!  I'm sorry you had such a rough case, but not everyone gets severe symptoms.  In fact, your symptoms were rare.  Most people who get treated with Tamiflu will have symptoms more mild than the regular seasonal flu.  The key is to prompt medical attention when someone has flu like symptoms.

Quoting momof2little1s:

I had H1N1!  It was horrible and almost killed me and my baby!  I was in a coma on the hospital for 30 days.  I know many other cases and deaths that the cases were BAD.  And not all of them were in a high risk category!  The media is down playing it to not scare everyone.  I do not buy that it is not that bad and neither do my family who almost lost me!!!!!!!!! And we will be getting vacinating!

I have to say that it is easy to think the swine flu is no big deal when it has not affected you personally in such a negitive way.  I was so close to death from it that I have a huge interest in the subject and have done a TON of research on it.  And while it may be mild for some, it has killed MANY and not just people in high risk categories.  There are over 30 documented cases of kids in the US who died with no pre-existing health issues.  So, I campain hard for people to take this virus serious.  I do not want to make decisions for people or push them itno decisions.  But, I want everyone to be aware of it's potential danger.

I have done many news spots(today show, NBC nightly news, Good Morning Americwa, and several local stations) talking about my case and the importance of taking the H1N1 virus serious.  Our local news is taped me this Wednesday for another news spot about it.  And they should be airing it on the NBS Nightly news after as well.

Anyway, I hope none of you are personally effected by swine flu the way I and my family was.  But, whether you decide to vacinate or not PLEASE take it serious and do not brush it off say it is no big deal.  It may be no big deal for some but know it can also be potentially fatal.

And that goes for any flu year... not just this one with h1n1 floating around.  Influenza kills people. Complications can arise with or without a pre existing condition.    The flu is not like a cold...  it is actually quite serious and does need medical attention. Obviosuly it is not as serious as say ebola...   but its not something to just say "Oh whatever... its JUST the flu" about.

My Girls- My loves, My life, My EVERYTHING

Caitlin 5 yrs, Lilly 3 yrs, and Molly born 7/19/09

junebug624
by on Oct. 8, 2009 at 11:47 PM

Yup already knew this one... just like I know the regular flu kills more people than swine flu does each year.  Thanks for sharing tho 

I'm a vaxing, circing, disposable diaper using, bf switched to ff, CIO sometimes, pushed 1hr before a c-section (and don't regret it), college graduate, loving my son, can't wait to have another baby, trust your own judgement, kind of mom.

unicorndreams
by on Oct. 8, 2009 at 11:49 PM

All my kids have had it... It is just the flu.  My oldest hit high temps- 104 and 105 before it broke. They had no flu like symptoms except the fevers- no vomitting, diareia (sp sucks), or any other flu conditions-- just fevers and it took them about 4 days to get completely over it... same as the normal flu!!

My husband said he cant wait for someone to say that it really isnt swine but some form of E Boli -- it contains high fevers and is resident in Africa.  With the way we travel about the planet now-adays, who really knows what anyone is really bringing back and they cant track where every little sniffle comes from.

Personally, I think it is all just a bunch of hype since what they call "normal" flu kills people every year and how much of that do we really hear reported on.  Bottom line, it started up when it was a slow news day!!

aka_speezolove
by on Oct. 8, 2009 at 11:52 PM

People can think what they want but I have seen what the h1n1 can do. I was in the ER twice and my reg Drs office when I had it. Myhusband was in the hospital with it and my FIL has been in the hospital for over a week with complications from it. I don't care what anyone says, it IS a big deal.

ajzuell
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2009 at 12:12 AM

Wow, I'm  sorry to hear what you went through.  I'm so glad you and your baby is ok.  Cute little girls you have!                                     

Quoting momof2little1s:

I had H1N1!  It was horrible and almost killed me and my baby!  I was in a coma on the hospital for 30 days.  I know many other cases and deaths that the cases were BAD.  And not all of them were in a high risk category!  The media is down playing it to not scare everyone.  I do not buy that it is not that bad and neither do my family who almost lost me!!!!!!!!! And we will be getting vacinating!

I have to say that it is easy to think the swine flu is no big deal when it has not affected you personally in such a negitive way.  I was so close to death from it that I have a huge interest in the subject and have done a TON of research on it.  And while it may be mild for some, it has killed MANY and not just people in high risk categories.  There are over 30 documented cases of kids in the US who died with no pre-existing health issues.  So, I campain hard for people to take this virus serious.  I do not want to make decisions for people or push them itno decisions.  But, I want everyone to be aware of it's potential danger.

I have done many news spots(today show, NBC nightly news, Good Morning Americwa, and several local stations) talking about my case and the importance of taking the H1N1 virus serious.  Our local news is taped me this Wednesday for another news spot about it.  And they should be airing it on the NBS Nightly news after as well.

Anyway, I hope none of you are personally effected by swine flu the way I and my family was.  But, whether you decide to vacinate or not PLEASE take it serious and do not brush it off say it is no big deal.  It may be no big deal for some but know it can also be potentially fatal.

adri_nevarez
by on Oct. 9, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Never said it wasn't tested... It has not been tested ENOUGH!  The vaccine JUST came out, I can't pump my children full of something that has had no studies of long term effects!  This is a new flu... it's a mutated one, it's not Swine from 1976.  I would rather teach my kids hygeine than give them a vaccine that has not been proven safe over a span of years!  And people die of flu... any flu!  That is a fact, H1N1 hasn't proven to be more of a killer than the regular flu which on average takes 36,000 lives a year!  So please tell me which of my statements is innacurate!

Quoting momof2little1s:

Whatever.......Believe what you want but you are just spouting out inaccurate speclitory info-not facts.  The vaccine has been tested, and it has even been tested on kids.  And I am glad you think I have enough imunity-but I will take my doctors expertise over yours, thanks! And my case is not rare.The new numbers show that there have been 100 pregnant  woman hospitalized and 28 pregnant woman who have died from swine flu.  And there are being more and more cases of healthy people dying being reported.  I do not want to push people into getting the vaccine, I just want people to take H1N1 serious.

Quoting adri_nevarez:

Compared to the number of people who have had mild versions of H1N1 your case is rare.  Deaths are very rare... You do know that 36,000 people die YEARLY from seasonal flu (and that is rare in comparisson with the number of people who contract it)... Vaccinating is a personal choice, but you have immunity... maybe not complete, but you have more immunity than most.  And in my case, I would rather use that than be injected with something that is not tested!  Look at the number of people killed or paralyzed by the vaccine back in 1976!  Look at the number of confirmed H1N1 and the number of deaths and see that it is very rare.  I am not saying it is impossible - but in most cases if a person seeks medical care within 48 hours of symptoms the tamiflu will work wonders, and I think it's sad that so many people wait before getting seen.  I have a nephew who is currently very sick and showing many flu symptoms.  He has had a high fever for 3 days and his parents refuse to take him to the dr!  I really hope people research this vaccine before thinking it's a quick fix to the mutated H1N1... all these mutated strains, IMO, come from us genetically altering viruses in the first place!  I didn't know there was different strains of H1N1, I know there are different flu strains (which is exactly why IMO a flu shot is worthless... it's like finding a needle in a haystack...)

Quoting momof2little1s:

Adri- Both of the statementd you said are not true.  Docs have said I am not imune from just having it because there severla types of strains of the virus and that is one of the reasons the vaccine has taken so long because they are trying to get all the strains into it.  And my case is NOT rare. 9 pregnant woman have died from a case exactly like mine.  And many others have died as well. 49 children have died in the US and of the 49 a qaurter of them were healthy children with NO pre-existing conditions.  If you want the real info and not just inacurate info fom others go to the CDC's website.  You will be surprised at the numbers!

Quoting Kerfuffle:

Quoting adri_nevarez:

If you've had a confirmed case of H1N1 you do not need to be vaccinated.  You have the best immunity of all - a natural one that your body built alone!  I'm sorry you had such a rough case, but not everyone gets severe symptoms.  In fact, your symptoms were rare.  Most people who get treated with Tamiflu will have symptoms more mild than the regular seasonal flu.  The key is to prompt medical attention when someone has flu like symptoms.

Quoting momof2little1s:

And that goes for any flu year... not just this one with h1n1 floating around.  Influenza kills people. Complications can arise with or without a pre existing condition.    The flu is not like a cold...  it is actually quite serious and does need medical attention. Obviosuly it is not as serious as say ebola...   but its not something to just say "Oh whatever... its JUST the flu" about.

momof2little1s
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2009 at 8:32 PM

Umm...You did say it was not tested! I highlighted in red in your response.  I also highlighted the inaccurate facts in red too!

You keep throwing out the fact that 36,000 people die from the regular flu and because of that the H1N1 flu is not that bad.  Well guess what this H1N1 flu has not been around a full year or even a full "typical" flu season to compare them.  And the big difference is H1N1 does not apear to have a season! You can get it ANYTIME of year! And your saying if people go get tamiflu right away it will usually work wonders it totally speclitory.  I know 2 people who got tamiflu with in 24 hours and died anyway.  And BTW-they had no health concerns! And if you do some research on reputable sites such as the AMA or CDC sites you will see that people are still getting sick and dying even after being treated with Tamiflu! 

So anyway, Good luck with relying on hygiene, hope that works for you! I am a germ phobe and it did not work for me!!!!  Also kids as much as you preach to them, are not always gonna use good hygiene.  And you can't go to school with them watch there every move to be sure they follow what you have taught them in hygiene!  But, that is just one of my reasons for why I am VERY happy my girls just got their H1N1 vaccine today! Yeah! And "Gasp" they survived! They are not sick from it and are perfectly fine!  But that is niether here nor there-I do not want to force anyone's decision about vaccinating.  I just want people to stop throwing out inaccurate info, get the facts, and realize H1N1 can be a BIG DEAL !

Quoting adri_nevarez:

Never said it wasn't tested... It has not been tested ENOUGH!  The vaccine JUST came out, I can't pump my children full of something that has had no studies of long term effects!  This is a new flu... it's a mutated one, it's not Swine from 1976.  I would rather teach my kids hygeine than give them a vaccine that has not been proven safe over a span of years!  And people die of flu... any flu!  That is a fact, H1N1 hasn't proven to be more of a killer than the regular flu which on average takes 36,000 lives a year!  So please tell me which of my statements is innacurate!

Quoting momof2little1s:

Quoting adri_nevarez:

Quoting momof2little1s:

Quoting Kerfuffle:

Quoting adri_nevarez:

Quoting momof2little1s:

My Girls- My loves, My life, My EVERYTHING

Caitlin 5 yrs, Lilly 3 yrs, and Molly born 7/19/09

adri_nevarez
by on Oct. 10, 2009 at 2:23 PM

If you consider 6 months of testing to be appropriate for something that will be injected into your child then go for it!  I am not trying to stop anyone from vaccinating because some kids can and will die.  A 12 year old died here because she got a very rare complication - her brain swelled.  BTW this can happen with ANY flu!  As for the deaths being rare, do me a favor... go to CDC and calculate the number of reported H1N1 cases and find the percentage of deaths... It is RARE!  There have been so many H1N1 cases that some drs aren't even testing to see if it is H1N1 unless the patients are very ill.  Another man died here a couple of days ago, he was homeless living in a shelter and waited too long... he felt sick for a long time before he went to the hospital!  Just look at the facts, and the facts right now are that H1N1 is still considered MILD... it has not mutated, it is a flu... some people will be hit hard, some will not - the seasonal flu can do this as well!  Why aren't people freaking out about the flu?  Because H1N1 scares people more and is seen as a money maker from everyone from media to pharmaceutical companies to supermarkets that are selling hand sanitizers.  This virus CAN mutate, as any virus can and has... In fact, IMO viruses mutate because of all the genetic altering we do to find quick vaccines!  I am not saying H1N1 is nothing to worry about, because ANY flu can cause death and severe illness... Type A, Type B, H1N1... hell, weren't we all supposed to die from the bird flu a few years back?  All I am saying is that people don't need to be scared into getting vaccinated!  Do your research... Children are still growing and developing and all these toxins can affect their growth and sex hormones in a few years, they can cause cancer in 20 years... no one knows because this vaccine was just made available!  And please, don't compare it to the swine flu vaccine in the 70's... this is not swine flu!  You can look at the fact that the 1976 vaccine was produced rapidly and killed and disabled MANY people!  Again, vaccinating is a PERSONAL decision... only you and your children will live with your choices.  I have been researching as my aunt works for the CDC as an infectious control practicioner.  Just do your research! 

Quoting momof2little1s:

Umm...You did say it was not tested! I highlighted in red in your response.  I also highlighted the inaccurate facts in red too!

You keep throwing out the fact that 36,000 people die from the regular flu and because of that the H1N1 flu is not that bad.  Well guess what this H1N1 flu has not been around a full year or even a full "typical" flu season to compare them.  And the big difference is H1N1 does not apear to have a season! You can get it ANYTIME of year! And your saying if people go get tamiflu right away it will usually work wonders it totally speclitory.  I know 2 people who got tamiflu with in 24 hours and died anyway.  And BTW-they had no health concerns! And if you do some research on reputable sites such as the AMA or CDC sites you will see that people are still getting sick and dying even after being treated with Tamiflu! 

So anyway, Good luck with relying on hygiene, hope that works for you! I am a germ phobe and it did not work for me!!!!  Also kids as much as you preach to them, are not always gonna use good hygiene.  And you can't go to school with them watch there every move to be sure they follow what you have taught them in hygiene!  But, that is just one of my reasons for why I am VERY happy my girls just got their H1N1 vaccine today! Yeah! And "Gasp" they survived! They are not sick from it and are perfectly fine!  But that is niether here nor there-I do not want to force anyone's decision about vaccinating.  I just want people to stop throwing out inaccurate info, get the facts, and realize H1N1 can be a BIG DEAL !

Quoting adri_nevarez:

Quoting momof2little1s:

Quoting adri_nevarez:

Quoting momof2little1s:

Quoting Kerfuffle:

Quoting adri_nevarez:

Quoting momof2little1s:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)