Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Bi-lingual children

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2007 at 2:50 PM
  • 13 Replies
Hello. Happy Saturday! So ... when my baby is born he/she will be bi-lingual. My fiance is Cuban. I told him to always speak Spanish to him/her and I will speak English. My brothers son (my newphew), he is half Mexican. He can speak Spanish, but not so much but he understands it completely. Honestly, I think that he can speak fluent Spanish (my nephew). Because his sole custody is with his mother and she lives at home with her parents and they only speakSpanish. So I think my brother is being stupid when he says he cant speak as much as he understands.
    Anyways .... so I was wondering if there are any other moms or moms to be who's children are or are going to be bi-lingual no matter what language it is. I was wondering how do u enusre ur child is bi-lingual from a small age. Like is my theory right about daddy speaking Spanish to him and mommy speaking English? Do I listen to Spanish cd's while pregnant and play it for my belly? That would be cool if he/she could be tri-lingual. Maybe I can get some French cd's and play those too! LOL! Dont want to confuse the little sweety.
by on Apr. 7, 2007 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cardington
by on Apr. 7, 2007 at 2:54 PM
I heard say children absorb everything at a young age. If your husband and you both speak your own language your child should have no problem picking them both up.
afhoney03
by on Apr. 7, 2007 at 3:12 PM
When I was growing up my parents did exactly what you plan to do. My mom spoke English to us and my father spoke spanish. I'm so greatful they did because it a part of who I am:) We try to do the same thing with my daughter although sometimes its hard to for me to remember to speak to the baby in spanish:p She' s 9 months now and she understands both english and spanish. All I can say is be consistent.
rachelm920
by on Apr. 7, 2007 at 3:22 PM
My daughters are also 1/2 hispanic, my oldest daughter unfortunately doesn't know a lick of Spanish because her father and I split up when she was too young. My youngest, I also want to be bi-lingual, but my fiance barely speaks to her in Spanish. His family always does but he usually speaks to her in English. I'm gonna have to talk to him about that...Laughing I know one thing for sure, my daughter is definitely going to know what "abuela" means. Wink

The only thing I've noticed with bi-lingual children is that sometimes they get the two languages mixed up, my nephew sometimes says things like "Abre the door" (Abre is "open" in Spanish). He's only 2, so I'm sure he'll get better as he gets older.
mommyof3girlz
by on Apr. 7, 2007 at 6:46 PM

I am hispanic but was born in New York so I speak english and spanish because my parents don't speak a word of english. My oldest daughter Anelie who is 7 years old speaks both languages very well and can read and write in both languages. I was very concerned and really wanted her to speak spansish well, eventhough I speak in english most of the time but my husband speaks only a little bit of english. Anelie attends a dual language school which is a great school so I think that also helped with her learnign both languages to the same intensity. but I agree with what you are saying about your husband using spanish and you english so your child will be exposed to both languages

Bethan
by on Apr. 7, 2007 at 6:53 PM
Simply having both languages spoken to him/her will ensure she will bilingual.  Starting young also allows the child to think in both languages becuase both languages will be retained in the broca's portion of her brain. When we learn a second language later in life it is just stored in the memory part.
One thing to keep in mind... bi lingual babies generally say their first word a little later than the rest. If this happens... don't be alarmed. He/she is just sorting things out in her head. Also when she starts learning to read and right have your husband teach her how to read spanish and write it.
samimarie
by on Apr. 7, 2007 at 7:10 PM
my 5 yr old daughter can speak english and french.
since my family is mostly english and my husband is french.  we have her in a french school because there is no english schools that are close by. the closest school is about 50 minutes away. at first i was worried that she would lose her english but so far so good.
2007mommy2be
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2007 at 12:17 PM
Awesome! Thanks!
Quoting cardington:

I heard say children absorb everything at a young age. If your husband and you both speak your own language your child should have no problem picking them both up.
2007mommy2be
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2007 at 12:19 PM
Thank u! I really feel I will because its so important to me that he/she knows both. I dont know much Spanish. I know kinda enough but plan on taking more. I cant really talk to my fiance's dad too much because he knows little English. He was bonr in Cuba and then moved to Miami. But yeah ... I always wanted to fluently know a few languages and I think it would be great for my child to have the tongue of both sides ot where he/she is from and then in high school he/she can take up French and learn that and be tri-lingual. LOL! Im gettin ahead of myself here! But ... yah! Thank u!
Quoting afhoney03:

When I was growing up my parents did exactly what you plan to do. My mom spoke English to us and my father spoke spanish. I'm so greatful they did because it a part of who I am:) We try to do the same thing with my daughter although sometimes its hard to for me to remember to speak to the baby in spanish:p She' s 9 months now and she understands both english and spanish. All I can say is be consistent.
2007mommy2be
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2007 at 12:21 PM
Lol! Thats cool. Yeah talk to ur man and see if he can start talking to ur youngest in Spanish, Its practically important to know it now.
Quoting rachelm920:

My daughters are also 1/2 hispanic, my oldest daughter unfortunately doesn't know a lick of Spanish because her father and I split up when she was too young. My youngest, I also want to be bi-lingual, but my fiance barely speaks to her in Spanish. His family always does but he usually speaks to her in English. I'm gonna have to talk to him about that...Laughing I know one thing for sure, my daughter is definitely going to know what "abuela" means. Wink

The only thing I've noticed with bi-lingual children is that sometimes they get the two languages mixed up, my nephew sometimes says things like "Abre the door" (Abre is "open" in Spanish). He's only 2, so I'm sure he'll get better as he gets older.
2007mommy2be
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2007 at 12:24 PM
Wow I think its great that she knows both and can write it. My fiance is the same. His parents are from cuba and moved to Miami where he was born. They then moved to Cali thats where we are. I was born here in Cali. I was impressed that my fiance can also write very well in Spanish as in English because I know some Spanish speakers that can speak Spanish  but not so much read it or write it! My fiance can do it all.
Quoting mommyof3girlz:

I am hispanic but was born in New York so I speak english and spanish because my parents don't speak a word of english. My oldest daughter Anelie who is 7 years old speaks both languages very well and can read and write in both languages. I was very concerned and really wanted her to speak spansish well, eventhough I speak in english most of the time but my husband speaks only a little bit of english. Anelie attends a dual language school which is a great school so I think that also helped with her learnign both languages to the same intensity. but I agree with what you are saying about your husband using spanish and you english so your child will be exposed to both languages

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)