Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Hello. Happy Saturday! So ... when my baby is born he/she will be bi-lingual. My fiance is Cuban. I told him to always speak Spanish to him/her and I will speak English. My brothers son (my newphew), he is half Mexican. He can speak Spanish, but not so much but he understands it completely. Honestly, I think that he can speak fluent Spanish (my nephew). Because his sole custody is with his mother and she lives at home with her parents and they only speakSpanish. So I think my brother is being stupid when he says he cant speak as much as he understands.
    Anyways .... so I was wondering if there are any other moms or moms to be who's children are or are going to be bi-lingual no matter what language it is. I was wondering how do u enusre ur child is bi-lingual from a small age. Like is my theory right about daddy speaking Spanish to him and mommy speaking English? Do I listen to Spanish cd's while pregnant and play it for my belly? That would be cool if he/she could be tri-lingual. Maybe I can get some French cd's and play those too! LOL! Dont want to confuse the little sweety.
by on Apr. 7, 2007 at 2:50 PM
Replies (11-13):
2007mommy2be
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2007 at 12:25 PM
Oh thats good to know! Thank u so much for ur reply and yes I will have him do that!
Quoting Bethan:

Simply having both languages spoken to him/her will ensure she will bilingual.  Starting young also allows the child to think in both languages becuase both languages will be retained in the broca's portion of her brain. When we learn a second language later in life it is just stored in the memory part.
One thing to keep in mind... bi lingual babies generally say their first word a little later than the rest. If this happens... don't be alarmed. He/she is just sorting things out in her head. Also when she starts learning to read and right have your husband teach her how to read spanish and write it.
2007mommy2be
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2007 at 12:27 PM
Do u live in France? Wow I think its so important that ur daughter is learning both. Awesome. Good for u! I would like my child to take French as a 3rd language. I am part French.
Quoting samimarie:

my 5 yr old daughter can speak english and french.
since my family is mostly english and my husband is french.  we have her in a french school because there is no english schools that are close by. the closest school is about 50 minutes away. at first i was worried that she would lose her english but so far so good.
MarthaHelene
by on Apr. 8, 2007 at 2:27 PM
Well, I always say I'm a 100% gringa I can't do hot hot spicy food & I speak VERY little (muy chiquito) Spanish & I HATE it, I AM learning little by little especially being in retail in a west Texas city I really need to .... I tried to encourage my older 2 to learn but where we lived in Arkansas it wasn't widely spread & since we moved back here we REALLY should have encouraged it when they were younger .... My youngest (Bailey) on the other hand is learning it through Dora 1st & now in school she calls Daniel's Mom abuela & knows almost all her colors & a LOT of other words.

I think it's a good idea to teach them another language because it means SO much these days .... 1 being communication & another job opportunities :o)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)