Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Getting Started and Making Friends at CafeMom

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2007 at 10:56 PM
  • 478 Replies
Getting Started at CafeMom 
The best way to get started at CafeMom is to just start browsing around!

There are TABS at the top of every page...

Home - This is your personal homepage.   To see your homepage the way others see it, click "See Your Profile" (to the left of your profile picture).  You'll also see options to "Edit Your Profile" and to check your "Privacy Settings".  Start customizing your page by adding some pictures and a personal statement about yourself.  Your Chatterbox can be used for messages or to chat with another Mom (refresh the page to see new messages).

Moms - When you click on a Mom's screenname, you will go to her homepage.  To the left of the Moms profiile picture, you'll be able to send her a private message or send her a friend invitation.  You can also leave a note in her Chatterbox and see any Photos or Journals she has posted.

Photos - Photos are kept on your homepage.  For each Photo that you upload, you'll have an option to post it for "All" to see or for "Friends Only".  Leave comments when you see Photos that you like and people may leave comments on your Photos, too. 

Journals - Journals are also kept on your homepage and can be posted for "All" to see or for "Friends Only".  You also have an option to post your Journal anonymously.  Videos, pictures and polls can be added to Journal posts.  Click on the Journals tab to see what Moms here are talking about and feel free to leave some comments.  Moms may comment on your Journal posts, too.

Groups - Join as many groups as you'd like.  Some groups are private and require that you apply to join while others are public.  You may want to create a private, personal group for your closest friends and family.  Some groups use their group's chatterbox to chat.  Visit the Newcomers Club group Chatterbox to see if anyone's chatting - (refresh the page to see new messages).

When you click on the Groups tab, you'll see "Explore Groups" at the top.

Find Groups
- Search for groups by topic (it's best to search 1 word at a time).  If you scroll down, you can search groups by location to find Moms in your area.

Active Groups - Browse through pages of CafeMom's most popular groups.

To keep track of posts that you've started and posts that you've replied to, click...   

My Posts with New Replies 
and
Posts with My Replies.

The
Recommended Groups post lists some of CafeMom's most popular and most requested groups. 

Making Friends at CafeMom 
There are lots of Moms here at The Newcomers Club who would like to make friends, so, don’t be shy…send out some invites!

To send a Friend Invitation to someone, click on their screenname to go to their page.  On their profile page, next to their picture, click on "Invite as Friend" - once the other Mom accepts your invtation, you will be friends! 

Making Friends - Reach Out
- Say “hello” to some of the other Moms who are introducing themselves. 
- Comment on Journal posts, Group posts and Photos.
- Welcome the new Moms as they join.
- Send ‘friend invitations’ to Moms who seem nice and friendly or who seem similar to yourself…whether it be location, age, # of children, interests, or challenges. 

The CafeMom Team
Click "Contact Us" (at the bottom of every page on the site) to ask questions, share suggestions, make comments and report anything inappropriate. 

Visit the CafeMom Team homepage to see some of the latest CafeMom announcements.

For more information on getting started, check out The CafeMom Getting Started Guide.
by on Apr. 7, 2007 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Robin
by Group Admin on Apr. 7, 2007 at 11:56 PM

Some Common Abbreviations

Writing in all capitals - shouting

ATM = At the Moment
AYT = Are You There
BBL = Be Back Later
BF = Boy Friend (also sometimes best friend, breast-feeding or breakfast, depending on context!!)
BIL = Brother-in-Law
BL = Belly Laugh
BRB = Be Right Back
BTW = By the Way
CM = CafeMom
CYL = Catch Ya' Later
DD = Dearest Daughter, Darling Daughter, etc
DF = Dear/Darling Fiance'
DH = Dear Hubby (Or Husband), Darling Hubby, Darn Hubby, Dumb Hubby, etc
DIKU = Do I Know You
DS = Dearest Son, Darling Son, etc (can also mean Direct Sales)
DSA = Direct Selling Association
F2F = Face to Face
FAQ = Frequently Asked Question
FIL = Father-in-law
FWIW = For What It's Worth
GF = Girl Friend
HTH = Hope That Helps
IKWYM = I Know What You Mean
IM = Instant Message
IMHO = In My Humble/Honest Opinion
IRL = In Real Life
ISO = In search of
ITA = I totally agree
JK = Just Kidding
JMO = Just my opinion/observation
JUD = Jumping up and down
LMAO = Laughing my a$$ off
LOL = Laughing Out Loud or Lots of Laughs
MB = Message Board
MD = Meltdown
MIL = Mother-in-Law
MIS/DS = Mom's in Sales Direct Selling
OIC = Oh I see OMG = Oh My Gosh
OT = Off Topic
OTOH = On The Other Hand
PITA = Pain in the AcronymsPOV = Point of View PP = Previous Poster
PTMM = Please Tell Me More
RAK/DAK=Random Acts of Kindness/Deliberate Acts of Kindness
RE = Rolling eyes
ROFL or ROTFL = Rolling on the Floor Laughing
ROFLMBO = Rolling on the Floor Laughing My Butt Off SAH(M) =Stay at Home (Mom)
SD = Step Daughter
SIL = Sister-in-Law
SO = Significant Other
SS = Step Son
TIA = Thanks in Advance
TMI = Too Much Information
TOM = Time Of the Month
TTC = Trying to conceive
TTYL = Talk to you later
TY = Thank You WAH(M) = Work At Home (Mom)WOTH(M) = Work Outside the Home (Mom)
WB = Welcome Back
WTG = Way to Go

grannyjean
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 3:11 PM
Hey, Robin.
I am Jean, and I am new!
I have a 24-year-old daughter and I am starting all over again with her children, John who is almost 4 and Aleysia, who is 2 1/2. (My daughter, Audrey, is bipolar and I take care of the kids most of the time.)
I have custody of both kids. I am looking forward to meeting other moms and grandmoms!

Jean
sweetchild
by on Apr. 11, 2007 at 9:44 AM
Hi Robyn!

My name is Ella! I am 25 years old a first time mom of one. My little Emily is now 7 months old and growing up really fast. So fast I don't even know where all of that time went. When people say they grow up sooooo fast they were not kidd'en lol! She is my shinning star I would not know what I would do without her in my life. She brightens my day. I am happy I found this web site I think it is really neat. It is good to know that you can go somewhere and talk to other mom's about your child and to ask any questions that can be ansewered hopefully. So thank you for sending me a message in my box I hope to hear from you again bye for now.
kimsue61
by on Apr. 11, 2007 at 9:59 AM
hi robin!!Smilei'm kim and i'm a mom of 3,mamaw of 2...my 2 older kids are out of the house and 1 is 12 at home of course...my daughter and her boyfriend live about a block or 2 away so we have her son austin alot,which i love,he's mamaw's big boy..he tells me he loves me in circles..isn't that cool?!my oldest son lives about 10 miles away,we get to see his daughter about 1 wk.,but she calls me mamaw too.
kimsue61
by on Apr. 11, 2007 at 10:06 AM
hey this is kim again,those are my gr.babies,and my 12yr.old's messy bedroom..haha!!she's all about the latest trends..she has been diagnosed with adhd,which pretty much means we have to work harder than alot of other kids at homework for her to understand and comprehend school work..she did make merit role this last quarter though so it must be working.no meds for her ,just lots of hard work..she's in 6th grade and playing softball again this year.she's pretty good at it.played 1st and 3rd base so we'll see what happens this year.love to hear from ather moms that wants to talk about whatever.c'ya,kim
phrawg
by on Apr. 11, 2007 at 10:55 AM
Smile Hi Robyn.  My name is Terri and I am also a newbie to CafeMom.  I am 30 something and I live in Independence, Missouri.  I have 5 chldren.  My oldest will be 19 in May.  He is attending college in California.  My oldst daughter will graduate in May.  My youngest daughter is in 8th grade. My youngest son is in 6th grade.  I also have a stepson who is a Sophomore.  I am hoping to make new friends and  enjoy my life at CafeMom.  Have a Great week everyone..Terri Laughing
skitmom
by on Apr. 11, 2007 at 11:17 PM
Hi my name is Tiffany, I am a mom of 2 and I want lots more hehe! My daughter is 5 and I just started home schooling her. She seems to really like it.My son is almost 11 months and is almost walking on his own.I think if it works out I am going to keep home schooling.For what I have started I really like it cause I get to see what she is learning and be a bigger part of her life and she like to spend more time with her brother(she really loves that little boy)
jen68
by on Apr. 11, 2007 at 11:20 PM
Kissi  am getting tired always early mournings  I have 4 kids and a husband and I am the master queen and maid and cook and I work part time.  I hope I have enough time to get everything done.
candlemom79
by on Apr. 12, 2007 at 5:57 PM
Hello all!  My name is Robey (prounced Row-bee).  I am 27 and have a 5 yr old daughter named Ashland.  I am new to the group also.  I just signed up about 10 minutes ago :)  I am a full time student, care taker of my parents and full time mom and full time everything else. 
HMDmom06
by on Apr. 12, 2007 at 8:15 PM
Hi Robin!  My name is Brandi!  I am a newbie here at Cafemom!  I am also a newbie at being a Mom.  My son is 4 monthes old so I am just learning how to be a Mom.  So far so good.  My son was 8 weeks premature so we had a little bit of a stay at the hospital.  He was there 2 weeks but he is home now and doing fantastic.  He was 4.5 lbs at birth and is now 4 mos. and 13 lbs.  I am very excited about meeting other Moms on here.  It seems like everyone I know is pregnant now.  Well, the little man just woke up but please, if anyone would like to respond, please do.  TTFN, Brandi
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)