Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Getting Started at CafeMom

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2007 at 12:51 PM
  • 47 Replies
Getting Started at CafeMom 

1.  Start setting up your page

2.  Browse around – check out the Photos, Journals, and Groups (tabs above)

3.  Connect with Momssay hi to the other moms here... comment on posts and photos, send messages and friend invites, search for moms like you, join some groups…or start your own

Check out the CafeMom "Getting Started Guide"...
http://www.cafemom.com/about/getting_started.php.

Feel free to post questions if you need help with anything.

by on Feb. 7, 2007 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Robin
by Head Admin on Feb. 10, 2007 at 1:44 PM
You can keep track of posts that you've started and posts that you've replied to by clicking...   

My Posts with New Replies and Posts with My Replies.

(These choices are found under the Groups tab)

Some Common Abbreviations

Writing in all capitals - shouting

ATM = At the Moment
AYT = Are You There
BBL = Be Back Later
BF = Boy Friend (also sometimes best friend, breast-feeding or breakfast, depending on context!!)
BIL = Brother-in-Law
BL = Belly Laugh
BRB = Be Right Back
BTW = By the Way
CM = CafeMom
CYL = Catch Ya' Later
DD = Dearest Daughter, Darling Daughter, etc
DF = Dear/Darling Fiance'
DH = Dear Hubby (Or Husband), Darling Hubby, Darn Hubby, Dumb Hubby, etc
DIKU = Do I Know You
DS = Dearest Son, Darling Son, etc (can also mean Direct Sales)
DSA = Direct Selling Association
F2F = Face to Face
FAQ = Frequently Asked Question
FIL = Father-in-law
FWIW = For What It's Worth
GF = Girl Friend
HTH = Hope That Helps
IKWYM = I Know What You Mean
IM = Instant Message
IMHO = In My Humble/Honest Opinion
IRL = In Real Life
ISO = In search of
ITA = I totally agree
JK = Just Kidding
JMO = Just my opinion/observation
LOL = Laughing Out Loud or Lots of Laughs
MB = Message Board
MD = Meltdown
MIL = Mother-in-Law
MIS/DS = Mom's in Sales Direct Selling
OIC = Oh I see OMG = Oh My Gosh
OT = Off Topic
OTOH = On The Other Hand
PITA = Pain in the AcronymsPOV = Point of View PP = Previous Poster
PTMM = Please Tell Me More
RAK/DAK=Random Acts of Kindness/Deliberate Acts of Kindness
ROFL or ROTFL = Rolling on the Floor Laughing
ROFLMBO = Rolling on the Floor Laughing My Butt Off SAH(M) =Stay at Home (Mom)
SIL = Sister-in-Law
SO = Significant Other
TIA = Thanks in Advance
TMI = Too Much Information
TOM = Time Of the Month
TTC = Trying to conceive
TTYL = Talk to you later
TY = Thank You WAH(M) = Work At Home (Mom)WOTH(M) = Work Outside the Home (Mom)
WB = Welcome Back
WTG = Way to Go

calydu
by on Feb. 10, 2007 at 11:30 PM

A few tips to the newest members.

You can click on the name of a Mom and her profile will pop up. This allows us to see the "basic info" and get right down to getting to know each other. I like it also because I have a bad memory (I like to blame it on my blonde hair..LOL) and I don't feel so bad worrying if I will talk to one Mom while thinking she is another one.

The Chatterbox is the closest thing to live chat and IMing that they have right now. On the regular site you have to open up that Mom's profile and enter your message to her there. She in return can post a response in her own chatter box or she can open up your profile and enter it there. The best way to do this is to have 2 screens open and you can see your profile and hers at the same time..to allow you to not have to just going back and forth. The site should update each post as they are made and you should not have to hit refresh...but sometimes there is a delay. BUT...in the group the chatterbox is a live chat room.

You can start a journal entry anytime you want. The most recent posts are on the first screen. You have a tab to view all journal posts or just your own.

You have a box that shows the activity of your friends/members in both areas..so you can see when you are added as a friend, if they post a picture, send you an email, or post/comment on a journal entry.

You can invite anyone you want by clicking on their name and there is a line that says "invite". You just have to wait and see if they will accept it.
You can see the some of the photos on the main screen but to see them all you just have to click on "view all". You can also add your own pictures.
You can post special announcements such as "baby born" etc in the Announcement tab.
You can add the link of anything you want BUT not to spam, harass, sell products, or anything that will offend other members.
You can hit on member list and it will show you all of the members button.
The guidelines show all the rules of the club.
You can use the Quick Links tabs to add a post or picture.
If you have any other questions please let me know.

gurl1700
by on Mar. 11, 2007 at 1:04 AM
o.k. here's a dumb question... how do you take a group off of your list? I accidently hit join on a group that doesn't apply to me, and I can't figure out how to take it off?
Robin
by Head Admin on Mar. 11, 2007 at 1:10 AM

Quoting gurl1700:

o.k. here's a dumb question... how do you take a group off of your list? I accidently hit join on a group that doesn't apply to me, and I can't figure out how to take it off?

On the homepage of the group, right after the group description, it says..."You are a member of this public (or private) group. edit your settings."  Click on "edit your settings" and then click 'leave group'. 
lexus27
by on Mar. 18, 2007 at 1:15 AM
Help me.  I have a 7yr old who is really messing up in school his teacher is talking about holding him back. She said he can do the work he started school off as a b sudent then out of know where he started not completing his work and participating in class.  he is a class clown and he thinks he don't have to do anything anyone tells him and don't take any thing seriously.  He is always on punishment almost everyday, i took his t.v, game and anything else i know he loves. It will work for a minute then he right back to acting up.  Me his father and stepfather tried everything. PLEASE HELP
Robin
by Head Admin on Mar. 18, 2007 at 11:01 AM

Quoting lexus27:

Help me.  I have a 7yr old who is really messing up in school his teacher is talking about holding him back. She said he can do the work he started school off as a b sudent then out of know where he started not completing his work and participating in class.  he is a class clown and he thinks he don't have to do anything anyone tells him and don't take any thing seriously.  He is always on punishment almost everyday, i took his t.v, game and anything else i know he loves. It will work for a minute then he right back to acting up.  Me his father and stepfather tried everything. PLEASE HELP

Hi,
I recommend posting this on the Raising Boys to get a response from some moms who may have a similar experiences.

You can also post this here as a new post to get a response from the newcomers.  This thread is for site questions so the other moms here may not see it. 

You can always post in the journals, too.

Best wishes with your son!
Robin
proudmotherof2s
by on Mar. 20, 2007 at 12:12 AM
Hi.  I am new to the site.  I tried the myspace.com, but could not figure it out.  I guess I'm too old for that.  As a matter of fact, I feel kind of silly being here because it appears that most of the mom's are younger.  I am an older mom, but I am still a mom!  Maybe some of you younger mom's can help me understand my youngest son.
patti_g
by on Mar. 21, 2007 at 11:56 AM
Hi, How come when I post something ... On the top it doesn't have, by(my name,date and time). And at the bottom it doesn't have the little envelope with "send a message to(my name)"???
Head spinning on all this technology.
Patti
Robin
by Head Admin on Mar. 21, 2007 at 9:05 PM

Quoting patti_g:

Hi, How come when I post something ... On the top it doesn't have, by(my name,date and time). And at the bottom it doesn't have the little envelope with "send a message to(my name)"???
Head spinning on all this technology.
Patti

When it's your post, it'll say "you wrote..." at the top.  It doesn't give the option for you to send a message to yourself but it will give that optionto other people who read your post.  Your posts only look different to you.
KFerg
by on Mar. 21, 2007 at 9:18 PM
I have a question.... is there anywhere particular on this site that I could find out local reviews for preschools??
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN