Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting Started - Making Friends (abbreviations)

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2007 at 12:24 AM
  • 5 Replies
Getting Started at CafeMom 
The best way to get started at CafeMom is to just start browsing around!

There are TABS at the top of every page...

Home - This is your personal homepage.   To see your homepage the way others see it, click "See Your Profile" (to the left of your profile picture).  You'll also see options to "Edit Your Profile" and to check your "Privacy Settings".  Start customizing your page by adding some pictures and a personal statement about yourself.  Your Chatterbox can be used for messages or to chat with another Mom (refresh the page to see new messages).

Moms - When you click on a Mom's screenname, you will go to her homepage.  To the left of the Moms profile picture, you'll be able to send her a private message or send her a friend invitation.  You can also leave a note in her Chatterbox and see Photos and Journals she has posted.

Photos - Photos are kept on your homepage.  For each Photo that you upload, you'll have an option to post it for "All" to see or for "Friends Only".  Leave comments when you see Photos that you like and people may leave comments on your Photos, too. 

Journals - Journals are also kept on your homepage and can be posted for "All" to see or for "Friends Only".  You also have an option to post your Journal anonymously.  Videos, pictures and polls can be added to Journal posts.  Click on the Journals tab to see what Moms here are talking about and feel free to leave some comments.  Moms may comment on your Journal posts, too.

Groups - Join as many groups as you'd like.  Some groups are private and require that you apply to join while others are public.  You may want to create a private, personal group for your closest friends and family.  Some groups use their group's chatterbox to chat.  Visit the Newcomers Club group Chatterbox to see if anyone's chatting - (refresh the page to see new messages).

When you click on the Groups tab, you'll see "Explore Groups" at the top.

- Find Groups - Search for groups by topic (it's best to search 1 word at a time).  If you scroll down, you can search groups by location to find Moms in your area.

- Active Groups - Browse through pages of CafeMom's most popular groups.

- To keep track of posts that you've started and posts that you've replied to, click...   

My Posts with New Replies 
and
Posts with My Replies.

The Recommended Groups 
post lists some of CafeMom's most popular and most requested groups. 

Making Friends at CafeMom 
There are lots of Moms here at The Newcomers Club who would like to make friends, so, don’t be shy…send out some invites!

To send a Friend Invitation to someone, click on their screenname to go to their page.  On their profile page, under their picture, click on "Invite as Friend" - once the other Mom accepts your invtation, you will be friends! 

Making Friends - Reach Out
- Say “hello” to some of the other Moms who are introducing themselves. 
- Comment on Journal posts, Group posts and Photos.
- Welcome the new Moms as they join.
- Send ‘friend invitations’ to Moms who seem nice and friendly or who seem similar to yourself…whether it be location, age, # of children, interests, or challenges. 

The CafeMom Team
Click "Contact Us" (at the bottom of every page on the site) to ask questions, share suggestions, make comments and report anything inappropriate. 

If you read a post or message that is inappropriate, you can click the "Report this post" link.  If you're in a group, that report will go to the group owner.  If you're anywhere else on the site, the report will go to The CafeMom Team.

Visit the CafeMom Team homepage to see some of the latest CafeMom announcements.

For more information on getting started, check out The CafeMom Getting Started Guide.
by on Jun. 23, 2007 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Robin
by Head Admin on Jun. 23, 2007 at 12:27 AM
3 moms liked this
Some Common Abbreviations

Hi,

I posted a list of common abbreviations on the Getting Started - Making Friends (abbreviations) post.  It's always on the 1st page of The Newcomers Club so you can refer to it anytime.

Here's the list...
Some Common Abbreviations

WRITING IN ALL CAPITALS - shouting

AC = Adopted child
ATM = At the Moment
AYT = Are You There
BBL = Be Back Later
BF = Boy Friend (also sometimes best friend, breast-feeding or breakfast, depending on context!!)
BIL = Brother-in-Law
BL = Belly Laugh
BRB = Be Right Back
BTW = By the Way
CM = CafeMom
CYL = Catch Ya' Later
DD = Dearest Daughter, Darling Daughter, etc
DF = Dear/Darling Fiance'
DH = Dear Hubby (Or Husband), Darling Hubby, Darn Hubby, Dumb Hubby, etc
DIKU = Do I Know You
DS = Dearest Son, Darling Son, etc (can also mean Direct Sales)
DSA = Direct Selling Association
ETA = Estimated time of arrival or Edited to add
F2F = Face to Face
FAQ = Frequently Asked Question
FC = Foster child
FIL = Father-in-law
FWIW = For What It's Worth
GF = Girl Friend
HTH = Hope That Helps
IKWYM = I Know What You Mean
IM = Instant Message
IMHO = In My Humble/Honest Opinion
IRL = In Real Life
ISO = In search of
ITA = I totally agree
JK = Just Kidding
JMO = Just my opinion/observation
JUD = Jumping up and down
LMAO = Laughing my a$$ off
LOL = Laughing Out Loud or Lots of Laughs
MB = Message Board
MD = Meltdown
MIL = Mother-in-Law
MIS/DS = Mom's in Sales Direct Selling
OIC = Oh I see
OMG = Oh My Gosh
OT = Off Topic
OTOH = On The Other Hand
PIOG = Posted in Other Groups
PITA = Pain in the Acronyms
POV = Point of View
PP = Previous Poster
PTMM = Please Tell Me More
RAK/DAK=Random Acts of Kindness/Deliberate Acts of Kindness
RE = Rolling eyes
ROFL or ROTFL = Rolling on the Floor Laughing
ROFLMBO = Rolling on the Floor Laughing My Butt Off
SAH(M) =Stay at Home (Mom)
SD = Step Daughter
SIL = Sister-in-Law
SO = Significant Other
SS = Step Son
TIA = Thanks in Advance
TMI = Too Much Information
TOM = Time Of the Month
TTC = Trying to conceive
TTYL = Talk to you later
TY = Thank You
WAH(M) = Work At Home (Mom)
WOTH(M) = Work Outside the Home (Mom)
WB = Welcome Back
WTG = Way to Go
bmwlover
by on Aug. 1, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Thanks I needed all that information happy

AussieGirl0308
by on Mar. 4, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Thank you very much. Have a great day.

MadMar9
by New Member on Jun. 11, 2015 at 4:19 PM

THANK YOU FOR THIS LIST! I WAS EMBARRASSED TO ASK!

Quoting Robin: Some Common AbbreviationsHi,I posted a list of common abbreviations on the Getting Started - Making Friends (abbreviations) post.  It's always on the 1st page of The Newcomers Club so you can refer to it anytime.Here's the list...Some Common AbbreviationsWRITING IN ALL CAPITALS - shoutingAC = Adopted childATM = At the Moment AYT = Are You There BBL = Be Back Later BF = Boy Friend (also sometimes best friend, breast-feeding or breakfast, depending on context!!) BIL = Brother-in-Law BL = Belly Laugh BRB = Be Right Back BTW = By the Way CM = CafeMom CYL = Catch Ya' Later DD = Dearest Daughter, Darling Daughter, etc DF = Dear/Darling Fiance' DH = Dear Hubby (Or Husband), Darling Hubby, Darn Hubby, Dumb Hubby, etc DIKU = Do I Know You DS = Dearest Son, Darling Son, etc (can also mean Direct Sales) DSA = Direct Selling AssociationETA = Estimated time of arrival or Edited to addF2F = Face to Face FAQ = Frequently Asked Question FC = Foster childFIL = Father-in-law FWIW = For What It's Worth GF = Girl Friend HTH = Hope That Helps IKWYM = I Know What You Mean IM = Instant Message IMHO = In My Humble/Honest Opinion IRL = In Real Life ISO = In search of ITA = I totally agreeJK = Just Kidding JMO = Just my opinion/observationJUD = Jumping up and downLMAO = Laughing my a$$ offLOL = Laughing Out Loud or Lots of Laughs MB = Message Board MD = Meltdown MIL = Mother-in-Law MIS/DS = Mom's in Sales Direct Selling OIC = Oh I see OMG = Oh My GoshOT = Off Topic OTOH = On The Other Hand PIOG = Posted in Other GroupsPITA = Pain in the AcronymsPOV = Point of View PP = Previous PosterPTMM = Please Tell Me More RAK/DAK=Random Acts of Kindness/Deliberate Acts of KindnessRE = Rolling eyesROFL or ROTFL = Rolling on the Floor Laughing ROFLMBO = Rolling on the Floor Laughing My Butt Off SAH(M) =Stay at Home (Mom)SD = Step DaughterSIL = Sister-in-Law SO = Significant Other SS = Step SonTIA = Thanks in Advance TMI = Too Much Information TOM = Time Of the Month TTC = Trying to conceive TTYL = Talk to you later TY = Thank You WAH(M) = Work At Home (Mom)WOTH(M) = Work Outside the Home (Mom)WB = Welcome Back WTG = Way to Go

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:50 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Sapphire Member on Jun. 11, 2015 at 4:25 PM

Oh you forgot a very important group ..

Every Mom needs ..

Time Out for You/Themselves ..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)