Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you consistent?

Posted by on May. 4, 2007 at 5:40 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 549 Total Views

I can't seen to be consistent on my exclusively speaking portuguese to my daughter so she learns properly.
Can anyone relate?
My husband is also trying to learn but when there are other people around I tend to speak a language they will understand too.
I guess on the long run it will be good for her, she understands three languages to its fullest but my concern is that she will not speak like so many others I know.

by on May. 4, 2007 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by New Member on May. 5, 2007 at 1:25 PM
I am horrible with it, but in reality it is because his father is not Brasilian and does not want his son speaking portuguese first. This is such a major issue in our house:-( I am determined to eventually teach him the language:-)
by New Member on May. 5, 2007 at 7:54 PM
It is not easy to speak two different languages all the time, but you have to make a decision now! Only speak with your child in Portuguese all times OR give it up and speak in English. Not both!!! Speaking both languages to the kids will only get them confused and delay their speech. Tell your husbands not to worry, the American dads will speak English and there is TV and videos and games and friends and school to back him up with it. You need to be consistent. Don't give it up!
by Group Owner on May. 9, 2007 at 1:41 PM
i only speack portuguese to my daughter and she understand me her dad only speack english with her and she understand as well i think this way is easier for the child to learn and i feel more confortible talking in portuguese with her...
by on May. 19, 2007 at 12:39 AM
i have 2 sons,1 is 12 and speaks both languages perfectly,the youngest not so much the portuguese,but he started speaking late.its best to teach the portuguese as soon as possible.i know there is an issue with your husband,mine is Brazilian also so it makes it brother speaks portuguese to his kids and his wifeenglish. . they will always prefer english no matter what you try to keep up the good work.and it dosnt delay the 12 year old had no problems.tchau
by New Member on May. 22, 2007 at 3:06 PM
Both me and my husband speak Portuguese, although English is my first language. With my daughter Iasmin, everything I say to her in Portuguese I repeat in English. She also comes back with what is easiest for her to say. The benefit of this is that although she may not be using the second language she is hearing it, so she understands. She does not now it is two different languages yet. That will come later. Sometimes I come home & take off my shoes & I get Sapatos Shoes da mamae. Its very cute.
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 10:58 PM

I'm having the same issue.  My son is 23 months old and goes to a Daycare Center and my son understands both English and Portuguese but responds more in Portuguese.  It bothers me a little when I see how much more the other kids his age can speak BUT i'm thinking in the long run it's going to be good. 

by New Member on Jun. 27, 2007 at 12:30 PM
I know what you mean. Logan is only 3mo old, both my husband and I are Brazilians. It's easy when we're at the house by ourselves to speak to each other and the baby in Portuguese (although we both speak very different portuguese - dialect?) But I do feel stupid talking to Logan in portuguese when I have friends or anyone English speaking nearby.. it feels like I am purposely trying to keep them out of the conversation :-/

But let's be honest for a moment, we live in America, our kids were born here and they WILL learn English... so we HAVE to be persistent and speak portuguese only at home (their only outlet!)!  Well, those of us who can...
by Member on Jul. 24, 2007 at 6:25 PM

I have the exact same problem. I cant keep on talking Portuguses although I wish I could. I forget and when I realized I am talking in English. It is all confused! I have a 16 years daughter who is Brazilian and speaks Portuguese but she doesnt help either. I talk to her in Portuguese and she replies in English. It is hard to get something done. My husband is American and only speaks a little bit but he wants our baby to speak both.
Well if any of you guys want to add me as a friend, you can read a little about me.
Good to meet all of you guys :-)
I am so glad I found this group. What if we just speack Portuguese here?
I miss my language ! rssssssssss
See you all

by New Member on Jul. 29, 2007 at 12:03 PM
I am also in the same situation...
I am brasilian, my husband nicaraguan, but we speak mostly english at home.  I try to speak to my 7-month-old son in portuguese as much as possible, but I am starting to lose my language.  All my family lives in brasil and all my friends here are american.  So I don't get to speak portuguese enough to keep it fluent.  I even get embarassed when speaking to family on the phone bc I feel like I sound like a "gringa".   After 18 years you start to forget...
Well I am trying to speak it as much as I can for my son to learn. 
Next time I go to brasil I want to bring back some story books to read to my son. 
by New Member on Aug. 12, 2007 at 11:08 AM

I am a multinational baby and grew up speaking Portugues and German. I think it was great that I learned portugues at home and German at the school. I am greatful because I know speak two languages fluently. I think that if I did not learn from early stages, I would not have an aptitude for languages today like I have. I plan to spen an hour everyday going over portuguese and german with my soon to come daughter. This way her ears will be trained early.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)