Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some help from PA moms

Posted by on May. 22, 2012 at 12:55 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 283 Total Views

DH & I have been wanting to move to PA for a long time.  Right now we live on Long Island out by the Hamptons.  We go to PA often to visit his Aunt & Uncle, weekends away in lancaster, poconos and we drive around exploring and end up lost.  

Anyway, we love it down there!!  We'd like to move this summer if it's possible at all.  We want to rent for at least a year or so before buying a house.  Pretty much testing out the area before making the big commitment of a house.  I've started with looking up the different counties and towns.  

I'm feeling so overwhelmed.  I was wondering if there were any PA that could give me a hand.  Could anyone recommend an area to move to?  We're looking to rent an apartment or house (prefer a house), 2-3 bedrooms (prefer 3 bedrooms) and pets ok.  Of course since we have 2 little girls I'm looking for a neighborhood that is family friendly, safe, GOOD schools, etc....you know all those important things when you got little ones.  

Oh yes, we'd like to be within 4 hours of Long Island if possible but it's not a deal breaker.  Our families will still be on the Island so we want to be able to visit often and for them to come to us often as well.

If anyone could make some recommendations on towns or counties or anything I'd really appreciate it.  

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help out.  You can respond to this post or inbox me. 

by on May. 22, 2012 at 12:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
christinasfirst
by Member on May. 22, 2012 at 2:27 PM
Are you looking to be in farm country or city?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bangle
by Member on May. 22, 2012 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I am in York County in Dallastown schools.  A very good school district, but we are south central PA.  About 30 minutes from Baltimore.  Maybe more south than you want to be.

Jessica45
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Definitely the country.  I grew up in NYC and have always loved the country!!  Our dream is that when we buy our home that we'll have a house in the country and not be able to see our neighbors.  I'm tired of the city and the suburbs...having houses on top of each other.  

Quoting christinasfirst:

Are you looking to be in farm country or city?

Jgoodwin892
by New Member on May. 23, 2012 at 7:38 AM
I live in East Berlin. It is right in between York and Gettysburg. It is a very quiet country community. No crime and problems. Great schools around too. Whether you go to public or private school. Can't beat this area. If you have any other questions feel free to email me jeslynn2006@yahoo.com
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mdtamika
by Member on May. 23, 2012 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this
This is where we live. I work in Baltimore, and we love the schools there

Quoting Bangle:

I am in York County in Dallastown schools.  A very good school district, but we are south central PA.  About 30 minutes from Baltimore.  Maybe more south than you want to be.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christinasfirst
by Member on May. 26, 2012 at 3:43 PM
Id reccomend looking in adams county or york county. Adqms is alot more country then york, but york has some areas that are very nice as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilyFlair
by New Member on May. 29, 2012 at 4:58 PM

I live in dallastown, which is in york county. our school district is amazing! my child loves it! and he learns so much. he in a very small school to theres a lot of one on one attention. 

we currently rent in an apt complex. our rent is 525 a month for two bedrooms

angelfire1735
by Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I too am from York and my son is in the Dover School District and we love it!  I have cousins that are from Long Island(Suffolk COunty) who live here in York and they say it takes about 3 or so hours to get there.  Hope this helps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)