Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Under 2 sharing a room?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 10:30 PM
  • 17 Replies
  • 3355 Total Views

Our children will be 21 months apart when baby #2 arrives. We basically have a 2 bedroom house. Our 3rd bedroom is downstairs and has an exit to the outside which I am just not comfortable with. So, we will need the two (a boy and a girl) to share a room at least for the enxt few years. We will have baby #2 in our room the first few months, until he can sleep through the night. Does anyone have any advice on 2 sharing a room? I worry about the naps and one waking up the other. Particularly, baby #2 waking his older sister up too often and disturbing her routine too much. Would love any and all advice our experiences to be shared. 

Many thanks!

by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christinab313
by on Apr. 7, 2010 at 11:40 PM

I would love the same advice!! I was planning to have my girl and boy share a room too, but I finally got tired of waiting, and moved my son into the guest room. I guess we are lucky that we HAVE an extra room, but we live very far from all our families, so the room was used a lot and for long visits. In the end we had to do what we needed to do for our family. My little guy is a big one and he completely outgrew the bassinet (as in bent the bottom of it) and still eats 2 or more times a night. One thing that I have learnt though, is that you can make a lot of things work so you might find a great solution that you never thought of before when the time comes! (I actually had my son sleep on the floor of my room on the last few nights before our last guests left....it worked surprisingly well).

deeders949
by New Member on Apr. 11, 2010 at 3:47 PM
My boys are 13 months apart and share a room.I had 2 put the baby down first then my older child.I put the baby in a pack and play for nap time..It has worked well for us..good luck..
dedicatedrider
by on Apr. 11, 2010 at 3:53 PM

When my second son was born we were living in a one bedroom house, so we shared a room with both boys.  Honestly, we never had any problems with the boys waking each other up.  However, we've never tiptoed around when the kids are sleeping either, so they're very accustomed to sleeping through any and all noise.  Now we're in a two bedroom house, and Philip and Marshall still share a room with no problem, we've got our newest addition in our room with us, and I'm not sure when we'll transfer him over to sharing a room with his big brothers.

Miss_Magnolia.
by on May. 17, 2010 at 10:46 PM

my kids are 18m apart and durring naps my little girl is in the pack and play because she doesn't alway nap.

At night they share a room and my baby girl never wakes up my son.

the 4 of had to share a room for a month and sleeping paterned were never distrupted. I hope you are as lucky as we are.

Papoose
by New Member on May. 19, 2010 at 12:26 AM

I always just waited till one of them was asleep then got the other into bed. Worked out well for us. Now both just LOVE being together. My son doesn't want to sleep with out his sister in the room with him. He gets lulled to sleep by hearing her now. They are 17 months apart. =) She's 3 yrs. and he's 20 months old now.

PWCorinne
by New Member on May. 19, 2010 at 1:21 AM
It's good to know there is some hope for getting kids to room together. I have a 27 month old and a 15 month old. The 15 month old has been in bed with us, but we are ready for her to be on here own now that we are settled after a move and weaning from breastfeeding. I just don't know how it will work to get her to sleep on her own without really disturbing her brother. Would it be better to start her in our office and get her used to it, or just get her used to the room she will be in. Any advice on how to do this?
ZooMom2
by New Member on Jun. 30, 2011 at 9:02 PM
I'm also glad to know this can be done. My daughter will be almost 14 months when my son is born. We also plan to keep baby 2 in our room until he is sleeping longer segments & then move him in with sister
Lauren1029
by New Member on Jul. 28, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I have a 21 month old girl and a 6 month old boy and have had the baby in our bedroom (in the pack and play) since he was born. I intended to move him into his sister's room once he was sleeping through the night. That just recently started happening (until a few weeks ago he was still waking up every 2-3 hours to nurse) but he wakes up an hour or 2 earlier than dd so I've been really hesitant to make the move. Also, my daughter has a tendency to wake up in the middle of the night at least twice a week. I'm afraid that putting them together will shatter the little sleep I'm (finally) getting... but I think I'm going to give it a try this week. Wish me luck... 

Moonbeam_Sea
by Member on Jul. 28, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Good luck!  I'll be interested in hearing how it all works out.  My 20 month old is still waking sometimes at night, too, so I'm a little bit worried about putting them together eventually.  My daughter is 3 months old, so I'll be waiting a little longer to move them together, but I'm a bit apprehensive about this as well.   

ZooMom2
by New Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:39 AM
Lauren1029; how did the transition go? My son is due in 5 weeks so I'm trying to organize baby girls closet to accomodate both sets of clothes/sheets etc. Luckily we have a good sized closet.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN