Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ob-gyn visits and baby!

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 10:35 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 1130 Total Views
I have a 11 month old and I am 7 months pregnant. My husband works long hours so for the most part its just me and my daughter. We dont have family in town and all of my friends work as well. The problem is going to the doctors (for my checkups - they got more frequent now). My daughter has a cold and she's been miserable. I dont want to take her out at all but i have no choice. I have to drag her with me to every visit. There is no room in doctors office for a stroller and she cannot stay put during my exams. She is cranky and it really is very difficult.
Did anyone else has the same problem? What did you guys do? I cannot schedule later appointments when my husband's home because he doesnt come home until after the doctors office is closed. How did u guys deal with it? Any sugestions?

Bella 02/27/2007

by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wv_mom
by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 4:00 PM
There isn't even room for one of those little umbrella strollers, that is what I kept my DD in when I saw the dr when preggo with DS.

Terri441
by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 6:51 PM
When I was expecting my second, I had to bring my daughter with me to my appointments. My doc was really good about trying to be quick as he understood my predicament. I hated having her there as I think doctors offices are gross but we all survived. She complained and was miserable but we just made it work. I also went to as few appointments as he would let me get away with. All was well with my pregnancy so he let me come every other week at the end instead of every week.
I don't really have any good advice unless the previous poster's idea of the tiny umbrella stroller would work. They're pretty cheap.
lotsofchange
by Member on Jan. 18, 2008 at 8:09 AM
I tried to bring along some crackers & toys I knew my son especially liked & the midwives were great about helping me out with him- my kids are 19 mo apart, so he was a little older than yours.

I understand how you feel.  I didn't have anyone to help out either and our midwife's office was a good 45 min away.  Maybe another suggestion would be to discuss this with your dr.  since you are 7 mo preg- maybe just talking about it with him/her will help how you're feeling about the situation. 

I would call your doctor and see if you could postpone this visit your talking about until maybe next week or maybe the next?  How frequently are you going?

Good luck & take care- don't stress out about all of this stuff:)
Hugs-Mary
debbiesmom514
by New Member on Feb. 1, 2008 at 11:18 PM
how are the nurses? if she got really bad would/could they watch her for few minutes, in room with you but so your hands are free?? i am gonna have same problem so we'll see. mine is 9 months and just found out #2 is on way
A-TeamMom
by New Member on Feb. 2, 2008 at 12:13 AM
I assume a babysitter is out of the question.  i know it is with us... can't afford to hire someone if i am not getting paid myself, and I only put them in daycare when I am on a job.

There is a church near me that offers a Moms Day Out... for a nominal fee ($10 or $15?), you can drop off your kid for up to 4 hours on a tuesday morning.  Ask around, do an online search, etc. and see if there is something like that near you.  (Also check to see if there are Sat AM appts -- some doctors offer that.)  At 30+ weeks, you have to go to the OB every week now (and more, once you hit 34 weeks if you are high risk at all).  I'm sorry you have to go thru that... I'm lucky in that my hubby is home at 4 everyday so I can always schedule a late appt if my mom can't come over for a few hours.  In a pinch, I can always pay a sitter, but it means I can't make other bill payments, so I do everything in my power to avoid that!

Mom to Twincesses!

pootren
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 1:19 PM

I'm in the same pridicament. My husband talked to his HR people and I schedule the appts near the end of the day and he leaves early.They were pretty accomodating.They basically said that he was pregnant too! Maybe your husband should have a chat with his boss about the situation.My husband was surprised how well it worked out.I also don't drive and would need to take several busses so I'm reliant on him right now.Good Luck!

nellyville
by New Member on Mar. 7, 2009 at 11:58 PM

IWe have this problem all the time.  My elderly mother in law lives with me so we're at teh doctor a lot with a toddler, newborn, and an elderly person (and me when I was pregnant)  Stoller and snacks- really good snacks- the ones she loves and never gets.  Now when we go to a doctors office, she immediately starts asking for snacks...   If I was at an OB appts and she wouldn't stay in stroller (which didn't happen often with the right snacks) then she sat on bed with me (yes, even while I got an exam!!) 

momnbuddy
by New Member on Mar. 30, 2009 at 10:50 AM

I am in the same situation right now as I'm 4 1/2 months along and have a 9 month old son. My normally content son HATES my doctor's office and cries the entire time we're there. It's so embarrassing and makes me look like a mess of a mom, who is only there because she's having another. seeing me get examined and hearing the heartbeat upsets him. i dread these appointments but will see how it goes restraining him in a smaller stroller. i have an ultrasound and dr. app. tomorrow. any more suggestions would help.

MRiley423
by on Apr. 2, 2009 at 1:27 PM

i was in the same boat over the summer, mine are 18 mos. apart. i would try to get her to stay in the umbrella stroller, if it fits, and like others have said bring favorite snacks, juice, and several options for toys. the best toys for keeping them occupied in this sitch for me were books & coloring books, bc i could narrate from where i was being examined, and he still felt like he was getting my attention, and coloring is always busywork that takes some time. also, though my husband worked late in the city, we'd also once in awhile (if it was a special ultrasound, like that long one at 20wks i think) schedule the appt for the earliest or latest available and have my husband join me and either go in late or leave early and meet me there. good luck! :)

yellownes8
by Member on Mar. 7, 2011 at 11:09 PM
Omg going to my appointments was horrible for me and my daughter...we always had to wait so long and she was horrible every time we went. I don't blame her though because it always took forever to see the doctor. I had no one to watch her while I went. I thought going to the doctors was bad then but it's even worse now with 2 kids! Lol. They are 4 months and 19 months now so going anywhere is a lot of work!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)