Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you manage grocery shopping?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2009 at 1:40 PM
  • 22 Replies
  • 1697 Total Views

I thought since there a few members here who's little ones are a little older they might be able to offer advice about how to go grocery shopping with two under two?  Especially if the oldest either isn't walking yet or doesn't follow directions well enough to walk. 

Let's hear your answers and maybe you'll have a tip that can help some others out!

Tesa

shopping

by on Jan. 23, 2009 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
noah_n_mommy07
by Member on Jan. 23, 2009 at 2:38 PM

i go at midnight. after he is asleep. i generally have the neighbor watch him..

but now with my baby going to be here by this time next week. that is a good question..

hoosier_mama
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 10:47 AM

I try to go without them on the weekends or evenings, but sometimes that's not always possible. My grocery store has the carts with the extra seats for toddlers -- it's a big red part, and you actually push that part. My 20-month old sits there and my 2-month old sits in his carrier in the seat of the actual cart. If I don't have a lot of groceries to get, I use a regular cart and  put my 20-month old in the seat of the cart and my son's carrier across the back of the cart (sideways). Then I slide the stuff I need underneath his carrier. My 20-month old loves sitting in the extra seat, especially at Target since she faces me.

Lizbet84
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 3:21 PM
I think I'll have to have help. I only go once a month because I hate it so bad, and the buggy is always full. I can't imagine how I will go with a 14 month old and a baby and have enough room for the groceries! I don't even want to THINK about the rude strangers I will encounter while I cart around a baby belly and my first who is still a baby. Ugh.
averydog
by Group Owner on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Now that Kora and Logan are both walking I either give them a choice to sit in the cart with a sucker or to walk around the store.  Usually the sucker entices them into the cart, but if not they know they need to listen or there will be consequences.  Being a SAHM I'm lucky in that I get to go to the store during the middle of the day when the only other people there are other SAHM's and senior citizens.  Another trick that works for us is to have them each carry their own basket and then load it up with really light items - yogurt, bread, etc.  They love helping and they usually can solicit a number of smiles from the other shoppers. 

When they were younger I would put Logan's car seat in the big part of the shopping cart and have Kora sit in the front.  She generally was pretty good about it if I brought along toys to keep her entertained.  I remember I used to think she would enjoy holding onto the products I was buying but then she would try and chew the boxes or whatever it was she was holding.  When I told her not to do that and she didn't listen I would take the item away from her, but of course that made her hysterical.  One thing that worked wonders for this type of predicament was to give her my car keys.  I wasn't too pleased about it because I didn't know how dirty they were (probably no less then the shopping cart) but it got her attention for a bit.

Tesa

lotsofchange
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Oh, I remember having bad experiences!

You HAVE to make yourself go though & I don't think it does any good to worry or fret about it.  Just go, it doesn't do society any good to only see people who have submissive, well behaved angels!  Don't take that the wrong way but geez kids will be kids and that is how they will learn & it is our jobs to teach them!!!

My kids are 19 months apart and there were times when I used 2 grocery carts.  One for the kids and one for the groceries just because of how the car seat would fit in the one and having a toddler that wasn't old enough to listen well or cooperate.

There have been many times and honestly, even still today if I see people giving me the eye or a rude look I'll say something smart to them- like I bet you miss these days don't ya!  It irritates me when people give me or the kids judgemental looks.  My oldest is a boy and he is big for his age and often times I think others think- he sure doesn't behave well. 

I would gladly tell others their ages too.

The best thing is that even if it was hell, hopefully the next time will be a little better and you'll figure out what works good for you & your kids!

The offer is open to anyone who wants to PM me- anytime!

wulfbourne
by on Feb. 3, 2009 at 4:56 PM

I have groceries delivered when possible, when its not hubby goes too.  oldest in an umbrella stroller, youngest in cart in a carrier and go fast.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

TonyaS73
by on Feb. 4, 2009 at 12:47 AM

I'm fortunate to have a hubby that likes to go do the shopping with me, so it is a family outing! Either two carts, or one of us pushes the stroller, the other gets the cart.

Wife of Jeremy (7-1-06) Mommie to Calvin (7-31-07) and Madelyn (11-20-08)

Momof4kinda
by New Member on Feb. 6, 2009 at 2:06 AM

If it's a small trip, I put older child (son 21 mos old) in seat on cart and then either sling baby girl (7 wks) over the back of cart in her carrier so I can put stuff underneath her or just set the entire seat in the cart and put items around seat and then on the underpart of cart. If it's a bigger trip, I either have two carts (one for kids-though I put things underneath them- and one for groceries) and then push the one my kids are in and pull the other one. Sometimes I've my older kids with and they push one while I push one, but since I prefer to get it done mid-day, it's usually me, myself and I with the two kids/carts.

CreativeMummy
by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 12:08 PM

I try really hard to plan my big shopping trips when hubby is home but lately he has been working crazy hours so that hasn't worked. 

The last two times I had a large list I got lots of comments like "wow, you go momma", "boy, do you have your hands full",  "oooo, I feel for you, girl".  It was quite amusing to me!!  Anywho, I have a really cool double stroller that I put the girls in and then I pull a shopping cart behind me.  The oldest sits in the front - when we first get to the store she has a cookie at the bakery, then about the dairy section she gets a banana and then if she is still asking for more I keep crackers in the diaper bag.  Most of the time that gets us through.  My oldest is a social butterful so she thrives on having every person say hello to her.  It is really funny to watch.  My youngest is still in the infant carrier so she just hangs out with her chew rattle or I lean a bottle for her to have or if she just isn't happy being in there, I keep a sling with me for just that. 

It's one of those things that you just do.  You will find what works for you!  Good Luck!!

Jemia
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:38 PM

My hubby and I always go together. My youngest is still in a carrier so we put her where a child would usually sit if it was just one and then my son sits in the basket part and put groceries around him. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)