Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you get your two into and out of the car?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:14 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 1502 Total Views

Here's another question. How do you get your two or more children under two into and out of the car?  There could be a number of different methods in regards to this because of children's ages, types of car seats etc.  Any tips you have that work for you might help out another mom in need.  Let us know what works best for you.

driving

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4kinda
by New Member on Feb. 6, 2009 at 2:24 AM

This is the part I hate! Especially when they're both sleeping. It makes me so nervous to leave them in the car by themselves for any amount of time!-so if we've just arrived home, I grab one, run them in-while locking the other into the van (my keys are around my wrist when I do this) then run back out for the other.  When I leave to go somewhere, I either have baby in carseat in one arm and either carry or hold my sons hand. I have him climb into our van, shut the door, go to other side and put her in, then go back and strap my son in. At the grocery store, I park next to a cart corral so I can load kids straight into a cart. When getting them out and he's awake, (my sons seat is behind me and he's the older of the two) I undo him, then tell him to go by his sisters seat on her side. Shut his door, walk around and then get her out onto my arm (in carseat) and then I'm able to pick him up from there if needed or help him jump out and he holds my hand. I kind of look forward to the no carseat to hassle with stage......

mom2the5th
by New Member on Feb. 7, 2009 at 2:18 PM

I park too far from our door, in a parking space assigned in our lot. I also have my grandson who is 3 on weekends. I leave my toddler seat in the car, I grab the toddler in one arm, the baby in the other, grandson walks out, y toddler can walk, but not the steps, we have to go up steps to reach the car. I have a few ways I try doing this I either I place the baby's car seat on the seat next to the toddler seat, make sure he is safe and wont fall,  put the toddler in, lock the seat, (my grandson holds my leg. go around, snap the babies into place put grandson in, ready to go. Or If I am lucky I can snap the baby seat in before puttibg my toddler in. If I am lucky. I always leave the toddler seat/seats in the car, always bring the baby seat in, just not the base

AnaMaria624
by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 2:27 PM

I have no idea. I haven't had my second yet. They will be 17-18 months apart. I hav a van with captain seats so car seat space and such isnt a issue. I have a britax marathon for my daughter. Then a Graco snug ride for our new son. I think im probably going to put her in first. Then go around to the other side and just pop the infant seat on the base. As far as carrying them in and out I dont know what im going to do! Probably never leave the house! lol

**Proud Stay At Home Mommy!** 

preview image
                                    Baby number 2...... Jameson Cole!

Surfermom86
by New Member on Feb. 23, 2009 at 9:51 PM

I try not to go anywhere, but i usually put oldest ones in first. since i have three under three!! First my 2.5 year old in with a book or toy, then my 13mo old, then the baby. Sometimes its a little hard to put the baby in last sionce he's in the middle, then i wait for the oldest one's side to get in last, and she can help carry her toys, or light things. I put the diaper bag in the front seat with me.

SweetlilMomma
by Member on Feb. 28, 2009 at 10:47 PM

I have a 17 month old and a 5 month old. I carry the car seat with one hand and hold my daughters hand. I stop and put my 17 month old in first and sit the carseat on the grond next to me then i walk around and put my lil one in. I do it in reverse to get them out. First the baby then my 17month old. It works for me!

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
rayelinsragz
by on Apr. 14, 2009 at 3:59 PM
I am pregnant with a toddler but often watch other his age or younger. Something that has helped me that some people can or can't do due to location is bike pulling a bike trailer. When I get to where I am going the trailer unhooks and turns in a stroller without having to take the kids out. Yes this can be time consuming but I am getting exercise and if one of the kids fall asleep I do not have to interrupt their nap. Besides they love riding in the trailer opposed to a car seat.
gummylump
by on Apr. 15, 2009 at 12:34 PM

My twins are 19 months old and we have a van.

GETTING IN

1. They walk to the car holding my hand (daddy carries them when he does it) and we open one back door.

2. DD goes in there and stands up on the floor. I CLOSE that door and go around to the other side.

3. Put in DS and strap into car seat.

4. Go around to 1st door again and strap in DD.

5. I usually give them a book on their lap or they watch a video while we're driving.

By then I'm exhausted and just go back in the house. JUST KIDDING!!

Getting out is easier unless I'm carrying something or they're sleeping.  I just pull each one out and they each hold one hand as we go into the house.

Generally if there is stuff in the car I put them in one of their bedrooms and close the door while I run back out to get the packages.

Oh, I fogot that I also have to then deal with my DS having a tantrum because he's now seen the KEYS and wants to play with them. Sometimes he just goes absolutely limp at the front door. That's always fun!

Those of you with 3 small ones....I have no idea unless you can make one of them defy gravity and float above you!

Linda R - Mom of Twins

President GummyLump.com
Toys That Make Sweet Memories

gummylump
by on Apr. 15, 2009 at 12:35 PM

That's my FAVORITE quote of the day! I'm with ya and I only have 2 under 2.

Linda R - Mom of Twins

President GummyLump.com

gummylump
by on Apr. 15, 2009 at 12:36 PM

I love that " I try not to go anywhere". Right on!

I keep a bucket of toys in the car so I don't have to carry anything additional

Quoting Surfermom86:

I try not to go anywhere, but i usually put oldest ones in first. since i have three under three!! First my 2.5 year old in with a book or toy, then my 13mo old, then the baby. Sometimes its a little hard to put the baby in last sionce he's in the middle, then i wait for the oldest one's side to get in last, and she can help carry her toys, or light things. I put the diaper bag in the front seat with me.

Linda R - Mom of Twins

President GummyLump.com

Jaedynnsmommy
by on Apr. 16, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Getting them in and out the car is my biggest complaint. If I put my toddler in first then I have to make sure she has everything that she wants before I have to go to the other side of the car and put my infant in her car seat base. So usually I put my infant in first. When I'm at my destination, usually walmart. I try to part close to the cart holders. Then I can grab the cart and then take them out and put them directly in the cart. If I go to the park then I take out my stroller out and put my infant in and then get my toddler out. That way she doesn't run in the parking lot or anything..For the most part, it's not the hard..It's dealing with both of them while I'm trying to shop or something like that.. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN