Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christmas skits, songs, etc. for small groups

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2008 at 12:30 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 8226 Total Views

Well, this is my first Christmas as the New Children's Ministry director at our new church. We have a small group of children between the ages of 2 and 9 and a few 13 year olds. I really would love to do something, anything for our christmas eve service, but don't really know what to do with this small age varied group. If you have any idea I'd love to hear them. Keep in mind that I'd like to keep it rather simple.

by on Oct. 10, 2008 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Carrie5683
by Member on Oct. 11, 2008 at 10:03 AM

I posted a similiar question on here a few weeks ago.We don't have the time or help do a big long production so we're dividing the kids into age groups and each group is doing a little something..one of our groups the 3's and 4's..we're having them hide behind boxes..We're doing pretty christmas wrapped boxes, large enough to fit a child in but we'll have the back cut out so that you just see the front of the box and the child is hiding behind....One of our older kids is going to read a thing about how we should think of our gifts of the spirit as Christmas gifts from Jesus..and as the read about each gift the child behind that gift box pops out and says "gift of teaching!" or whatever, ..if they're too shy they can hold up a sign instead.

We've just spent a lot of time googling small skits, songs hat don't require a lot of long rehearsals..google is great!

Carrie5683
by Member on Oct. 11, 2008 at 10:05 AM

Oh, we're also having our kids age 5-7 or so, dance to that cool song "I pray on Christmas", I don't know who its by but its real jazzy and cool.They're gonna wear sun glasses and strut around snapping and dancing and stuff..the boys'll slick there hair back..look sorta 50's you know?

mom2twobabes
by on Oct. 11, 2008 at 10:19 AM

This question is right down my ally....I have done our Christmas skits for about 3 years now at church and also work as a preschool music teacher where I put together their Christmas show, Grandparents day show, and End of the Year program!

My kids at school are 2, 3,4, and 5  (there are 130 of them)...my kids at church are 3-13.....(there are about 30 there)  give or take.....

Where to start?.......Cedarmont Kids   Have 3 GREAT Christmas CD's for kids....I really like the Gospel Christmas songs a lot.....get on Amazon.com and you should find it easily....its under 10$ a cd. Which is good!

Also,  Lifeway bookstores have CD's that come in teaching packets....but you can probably buy them online or order them through the store......they have SEVERAL songs good for 2&3's.....short easy songs....like "SIng about Jesus"   "Christmas is such a Happy Time" ect.......you might could find used ones on Amazon.......not sure...I will check.....

I also do sign language with the kids....which is WAYYYYY easier than it sounds....I just have a sign language book and find a pretty song and teach myself (usually in a day) then the kids just copy me.....it is beautiful......even the small kids follow along pretty well.......

Email me.....I could go on forever.......I have done this a while....and recently realized that God was preparing me my ENTIRE life to be able to do this.....I feel its my calling....I would be happy to help you find music or come up with ideas.....I am not sure if you can send a song over in a email....but we can try maybe.....

Hope I helped!      ;)

thedixongang
by on Oct. 13, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Last year, we had the younger children (2-5) do a live nativity scene w/ the angels, shephers, wisemen, etc. included (if you have enough kids).  They didn't have any lines to say, they just had to stand in their places while the older children sang.  Of course, someone always decides to walk off stage or talk during the scene, but they're little and to me the audience just loves it that much more.

The older kids (6-12) sang 4 Chistmas songs, a couple of classics like Silent night, and a couple of newer contemporary songs while the younger ones did the nativity scene on the opposite end of the stage.  We had 2 spotlights--one on each group.

For costumes, we used really simple things that some of the ladies in our church had sewn from fabric for a previous play.  You can always use bathrobes or sheets if you have to!

Our teens did a short modern Christmas skit after the younger ones did the nativity and caroling scenes.

mlr
by Group Owner on Oct. 24, 2008 at 7:01 PM

I could really use some help

We are doing a musical with ages 2-10 and I have no idea what to do  HELP!!!!

vernut
by New Member on Oct. 25, 2008 at 8:33 AM

Majesty music has a quick and easy christmas play called "Peanut Butter Christmas"

I have googled the song twelve days of Christmas.  We sang the song and then each child told what their part of the song meant.  What ever year this song was wirtten they were not alowwed to talk about Jesus Christ or anything in  realation to HIm so they wrote this song in code. 

Another year I cut out C H R I S T M  A S in cardboard really big.  Then glued a verse on the back that started with the letter.  The littles  held up the letters for the big ones to read the verse.  then we also sang Christmas Carols.

The last thing I remember doing is googling things about Christmas.  The tree and everything that goes on it means something.  We put a Christmas tree on stage and as the kids pick up a decotation to put on the tree, they said what the ornament or decoration meant.

mlr
by Group Owner on Oct. 26, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Quoting vernut:

Majesty music has a quick and easy christmas play called "Peanut Butter Christmas"

I have googled the song twelve days of Christmas.  We sang the song and then each child told what their part of the song meant.  What ever year this song was wirtten they were not alowwed to talk about Jesus Christ or anything in  realation to HIm so they wrote this song in code. 

Another year I cut out C H R I S T M  A S in cardboard really big.  Then glued a verse on the back that started with the letter.  The littles  held up the letters for the big ones to read the verse.  then we also sang Christmas Carols.

The last thing I remember doing is googling things about Christmas.  The tree and everything that goes on it means something.  We put a Christmas tree on stage and as the kids pick up a decotation to put on the tree, they said what the ornament or decoration meant.

thanks for the ideas!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN