Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids books, and so on...

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 7:42 PM
  • 26 Replies
  • 1481 Total Views
Hey every one,
Thursdaynext Told me about some good feminist or "right on" kids books, and I thought it would be cool to see if any one else had recommendations!

Thursdaynext told me about:

The paper bag princess By: Rober N. Munsch and Michael Martchenko
(I love this book! Kali got it for x-mas and I passed it on to ammasmama I loved it so much!)

Princess Smartypants By: Babette Cole
Prince Cinders By: Babette Cole

My recommendation
The Big Box By: Toni Morission And Slade Morrision 
( This isn't a feminist book, but it is pretty rad!

by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 7:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Beldaran84
by New Member on Apr. 11, 2007 at 2:17 AM
Great recommendations for more feminist children's books. I did a short research paper on children's books and fairy tales for a literature class, and it's actually rather frightening how the gender stereotypes play out in these stories. Boys are almost always active, while girls are passive, etc. Kids books from an early age teach girls (and boys) that women are meant to be in a supportive role to men or invisible. This is not a message we should be sending to our kids, but at the same time, reading to them is extremely important.
I will definately check out the books. Thanks!
Thursdaynext
by New Member on Apr. 12, 2007 at 4:13 AM

Ok those were picture books and BTW when I looked them up on amazon to verify authors names I saw that princess smartypants has come out with a sequeal.  I haven't read it yet so I don't know about that one.

But here is a series of young readers I read to my son and daughter:

(the Enchanted Forest chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede)

• Dealing With Dragons
  • Searching For Dragons
  • Calling on Dragons
  • Talking to Dragons

The main girl is a princess who runs away from home because she wants to learn more than decourum and how to look pretty.

The other I must recommend is a young adult seriesand admit they will hook you adults to is the :

Song of the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce

• Alanna: The first adventure
       • In the Hand of the Goddess
       • Women Who Rides like a Man
       • Lioness Rampant
The main character in this series pretends to be her twin brother and goes to learn to become a knight.

EmbarassedSorry I have a serious book addiction

ReikiMom
by New Member on Apr. 12, 2007 at 5:55 AM
Petronella by Jay Williams is a good one for younger kids.  It's a complete reversal of the traditional fairy tale--*she* goes out to find a prince to rescue!

Peace and Blessings,
Suzy
ammasmama
by Member on Apr. 24, 2007 at 10:08 PM
heehee, i was telling my mom we were already reading to amma even though she's little, and described the paper bag princess. my mom said "they make childrens books diferently nowadays" or something to that effect. not snotty, just commenting on things changing...it was cute. damn right they do, or i'll write a few myself! that book is awesome!
tuff_as_snails
by Group Admin on Apr. 25, 2007 at 12:41 AM
Yay Im so glad you like it!!!
RadicalMama
by on Jul. 30, 2007 at 1:20 AM
How funny... I have "The Paperbag Princess" and "Princess Smartypants" LOL  I love them both :)

Also, we read Feminist Fairy Tales (traditional fairy tales rewritten to make the girls strong and powerful).  I have to admit that they can get female chauvinist pig-ish, so pre-read, but some of them are very good, AND you can get some good ideas about how to twist up traditional fairy tales to just tell them to your kids without the chauvinist parts :)  My favorite is Snow Night.  They are good for adults or children of various ages.
tuff_as_snails
by Group Admin on Jul. 30, 2007 at 2:08 AM

Quoting RadicalMama:

How funny... I have "The Paperbag Princess" and "Princess Smartypants" LOL  I love them both :)

Also, we read Feminist Fairy Tales (traditional fairy tales rewritten to make the girls strong and powerful).  I have to admit that they can get female chauvinist pig-ish, so pre-read, but some of them are very good, AND you can get some good ideas about how to twist up traditional fairy tales to just tell them to your kids without the chauvinist parts :)  My favorite is Snow Night.  They are good for adults or children of various ages.
That sounds great! I have to check it out! 

WWWTuffAsSnails.etsy.com
Busy.Bee
by Member on Jan. 29, 2008 at 11:58 AM
Try the ordinary princess. A friend of mine suggested it.
feministmama
by Member on Mar. 7, 2008 at 12:48 PM
Amazing Grace by Mary Hoffman is a favorite of mine!  I bought it for all of my nieces.   This site is a great resource for children and adolescent books with a feminist bent:

www.heartless-bitches.com/culture/kidsbooks.shtml

“There isn't much I have to say, that I wouldn't rather just shut up and do.”~Ani Difranco

shebop
by on Mar. 7, 2008 at 5:00 PM
Thanks for all these suggestions! I'm expecting my first baby in August, but I'm already starting up a little library for the little one. I'm probably going to start reading to my belly baby soon with all of these choices! :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)